Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know if a Dealz Fonthill is still trading following losing their planning appe

• 19-03-2018 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to know if it’s closed yet? It’s a big loss to everyone including the other stores in the estate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Losing what now?

That shop must be very profitable. Very few staff (checkouts are only self-service now) and the turn over is massive. Probably one of the most profitable Dealz shops in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was open on Friday anyway

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yep it was open and crowded, it was in the news earlier this month as it failed in a planning appeal, don’t think it had the correct planning application when they opened, O asked the girl on the till and she said it was business as usual
    It will be a big loss if it does close you can read more here
    http://www.echo.ie/news/article/dealz-store-in-fonthill-facing-closure-with-38-job-losses

How can it not have had the correct planning application, or how come it can't be resolved? It's a retail outlet like all the other ones on that side of Fonthill. Sounds like bullying from An Bord Pleanála.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    How can it not have had the correct planning application, or how come it can't be resolved? It's a retail outlet like all the other ones on that side of Fonthill. Sounds like bullying from An Bord Pleanála.

Maybe another big retailer who are opening up in Liffey Valley had a quite chat with some of SDCC’s planners about this. All the retailers around Dealz signed a petition to keep it open as it increases business for them. This Dealz serves the local people in Clondalkin Lucan and Neilstown and provides low cost food items.Lets hope they are allowed to stay as it would be a big loss.

There's two other food stores in the close vicinity in that retail park - Eurasia and Aldi. If they meet conditions I don't see how Dealz doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

apparently the unit is supposed to be for "Large goods" only...like furniture or tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

L1011 wrote: »
    There's two other food stores in the close vicinity in that retail park - Eurasia and Aldi. If they meet conditions I don't see how Dealz doesn't.

Aldi is fenced off from the other units so its a separate entity.

Eurasia must of got permission and doesn't attract the numbers like Dealz.

Also the big problem is the Dealz car park is way too small and its an accident waiting to happen.

I've never had a problem getting a parking space within 50m of the Dealz front door. It would be a disgrace if that place was forced to close down.
    Maybe another big retailer who are opening up in Liffey Valley had a quite chat with some of SDCC’s planners about this.

I had hoped those shameful days were over. Liam Lawlor is dead 13 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Washout wrote: »
    apparently the unit is supposed to be for "Large goods" only...like furniture or tiles.

I had no idea that something so mundane and specific could be so silly as to shut down a profitable, community benefiting business.
    The whole idea regulations like these are to serve the business interests and the community symbiotically. This place does that.

Awful awful shame if this is the reason.

unkel wrote: »
    I've never had a problem getting a parking space within 50m of the Dealz front door. It would be a disgrace if that place was forced to close down.

I had hoped those shameful days were over. Liam Lawlor is dead 13 years.

If anything dealz will open up inside liffey valley sc.

Allowing Tesco in there they might as let all the bargain shops in.

manonboard wrote: »
    I had no idea that something so mundane and specific could be so silly as to shut down a profitable, community benefiting business.
    The whole idea regulations like these are to serve the business interests and the community symbiotically. This place does that.

Awful awful shame if this is the reason.

+1

I can't be sure, but I'm getting the impression that most of the staff are from the neighbouring estates too. And from observing them, they seem to be as happy as any retail workers with their jobs.

Dealz in general and this branch in particular, is a great addition to the local shops we have in this area of Dublin. The kids love to go there and pick up a few bits of whatever they fancy. And I don't mind spending €1.50 or €3 on each of them to keep them happy. Picking up a few packs of bargain, but decent quality batteries, toiletries, cleaning stuff, food stuffs, DIY and whatever at prices even lower than the likes of Lidl or Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

I'm sure Dealz knew damn well what the rules were when they opened. They have a history of playing hard and fast with planning laws.

https://fora.ie/dealz-planning-wexford-dublin-3817737-Jan2018/

Also the big problem is the Dealz car park is way too small and its an accident waiting to happen.

Never had any issue there myself. I work very odd hours so could be there (for Eurasia mostly, do go to Dealz from time to time) at any time of day any day of the week at that.

What is badly missing is pedestrian entrances to the Fonthill Road. Suspect there are people driving there who have no reason to drive except for the inordinately long walk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

L1011 wrote: »
    What is badly missing is pedestrian entrances to the Fonthill Road. Suspect there are people driving there who have no reason to drive except for the inordinately long walk.

Agreed but I'm not holding my breath give how long it took them to realise people walk to Liffey Valley. Sure they only put in pedestrian crossings on the Fonthill Road what, a year ago?

Agreed but I'm not holding my breath give how long it took them to realise people walk to Liffey Valley. Sure they only put in pedestrian crossings on the Fonthill Road what, a year ago?

And created a massive traffic jam.

Must of been the same idiots that did the crossings at superquinn

Dealz was still open today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Still open. Was it given a date where it had to be closed by?

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Still open. Was it given a date where it had to be closed by?

Are they going through another appeal process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Are they going through another appeal process?

No idea. They haven't put clothes into it lile all the other ones which is a bit telling that they don't think they will be there much longer. Shame. Hopefully they will relocate somewhere just as handy.

Advertisement