Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prolapse spoon

• 19-03-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

Lads, first time using the spoon. Normally the harness works fine for me but this ewe I have now, the harness is not working. I put the spoon it but still some of the Prolapse seems to be coming out. Do you push it down or up when inserting? Any other tips? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, first time using the spoon. Normally the harness works fine for me but this ewe I have now, the harness is not working. I put the spoon it but still some of the Prolapse seems to be coming out. Do you push it down or up when inserting? Any other tips? Thanks

Have you the spoon on with the harness, there might be swelling at the prolapse.
    The harness usually stops them forcing,
    I just shove the spoon straight in, never thought about it as it usually works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

wrangler wrote: »
    Have you the spoon on with the harness, there might be swelling at the prolapse.
    The harness usually stops them forcing,
    I just shove the spoon straight in, never thought about it as it usually works

Yes, I've the spoon in and the harness over it. She just seems to be getting some of the Prolapse out. I'll leave her for a while and see how she gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I would usually push it down slightly and tie it high up on the ewes back end usually stays in though... Maybe she's still full off urine? Shove your hand in a bit first and let her urinate and then try the spoon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Lambman wrote: »
    Shove your hand in a bit first and let her urinate and then try the spoon.

Isn't it a grand job us sheep farmers have???

Had a bad prolapse case here on Sunday - uterus out and everything. Called the vet and he managed to get everything back in and stitch her (twice).

Damage limitation with the ewe now. Her last job is to rear her lamb and then her work here is done and she can "retire".

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Managed to get it working and left her in a single pen. She had the bags out this morning so I took the spoon and harness off. This was at 7am. She still hadn't lambed by 11 so I pulled the lambs out. Not sure why she was slow to lamb, the lambs were presented fine, if a bit tight. Anyway, they are all doing fine now but she's on the cull list. Shame, fine Hogget otherwise with lots of milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

Had a ewe this morning with her intestines out... not a pretty sight. Vet put her down.
    What causes this? (Never had it before).

kk.man wrote: »
    Had a ewe this morning with her intestines out... not a pretty sight. Vet put her down.
    What causes this? (Never had it before).

Yea, hate finding them alive' usually a texel

Isn't it a grand job us sheep farmers have???

Had a bad prolapse case here on Sunday - uterus out and everything. Called the vet and he managed to get everything back in and stitch her (twice).

Damage limitation with the ewe now. Her last job is to rear her lamb and then her work here is done and she can "retire".

You've seen it done now ....you can do it yourself the next time, we hang them out of the loader by the back legs and slowly put it back in, no pressure.
    Spoon and harness then works just as well as stitches, antibiotic and pain reief
    Usually happens after a hard lambing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Had this yesterday with a mountain ewe. We tied her head down low while we lifted her back legs up. She began to struggle slightly and the prolapse returned inside. We had bought a spoon and a harness. We have the harness on her now and have her inside just getting a bit of silage and water.. General opinion is overfeeding and sure enough she was fairly dominant at the trough...

We had been told also to put sugar on the prolapse, we were going doing that when she got it back in... Aparently the sugar shrivels up the prolapse and makes it easier to re insert..

Advertisement