Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a set-up

Options
  • 19-03-2018 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a set-up, whole house is getting renovated and an extension put in so I have a chance here to put in some smart technology.

Some things I definitely want:

- Smart doorbell – I would like when the doorbell is pressed, a notification on my phone and then video. I’d like the option of it still ringing out loud but also the option to turn that off and phone notification only
    - Hue lights
    - Security / Alarm System – security lights and maybe CCTV
    - Smart TV?
    - Smart heating system maybe

I already have a Sonos system (Playbar, Play 5 and x2 Play 1’s) and ideally I’d like to integrate all of the above with the Sonos.

What would be the best option (Google Home, Smartthings, etc?) that ticks the above boxes (or gets closest) and can best can integrate them all into one convenient system?

Cheers for any pointers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

I was wondering if someone could recommend me a set-up, whole house is getting renovated and an extension put in so I have a chance here to put in some smart technology.

Some things I definitely want:

- Smart doorbell – I would like when the doorbell is pressed, a notification on my phone and then video. I’d like the option of it still ringing out loud but also the option to turn that off and phone notification only
    - Hue lights
    - Security / Alarm System – security lights and maybe CCTV
    - Smart TV?
    - Smart heating system maybe

I already have a Sonos system (Playbar, Play 5 and x2 Play 1’s) and ideally I’d like to integrate all of the above with the Sonos.

What would be the best option (Google Home, Smartthings, etc?) that ticks the above boxes (or gets closest) and can best can integrate them all into one convenient system?

Cheers for any pointers

Everyone will have a different opinion. We have gone with google home, nest and hue.. So far happy enough. Only a week with nest thermostat but happy so far. Also have nest iq indoor cam with 5 day history subscription.. That's 30 euro a year. Also just ordered a nest doorbell from the US.. It's not out here yet so interested to see how I get on. Love the setup but price starts to add up pretty quickly.. Have some tp link WiFi plugs as well for a lamp and to switch off av corner at night..

Good luck in whatever you choose
    Mick

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm a fan of Google Home, but at the moment it doesn't directly work with Sonos. Echo on the other hand does work with Sonos. Though I find Echo not so great.

Sonos is supposed to get Google Home support in future, so that is something to keep in mind. If you do decide to go Echo, they are on sale at the moment.

I'd say to you the most important thing when doing a renovation is to focus on the stuff that goes in the wall, electrical cable etc. As that is the expensive part to fix later. Much of the other stuff you ask about above can easily be added or changed later if you like once you have the right cabling:

- as much Ethernet cable as you can
    - Ethernet cable to where you might like to put IP cameras
    - neutral wire at light switches
    - deep back boxes at light switches.
    - GU10 fitting for downlighters
    - cabling for an alarm system

Those sort of things.

I've lots of Hue and I really like it. Logitech Circle IP cameras. Netatmo smart thermostat.

Nvidia Shield TV is great. Don't really need a smart tv then.

I've smartthings hub too, useful, but I wouldn't really say you have to have it in order to tie everything together. You can do that with GH or Stringify too.

Smart security systems are still very immature in the UK/Irish market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

bk wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Google Home, but at the moment it doesn't directly work with Sonos. Echo on the other hand does work with Sonos. Though I find Echo not so great.

Sonos is supposed to get Google Home support in future, so that is something to keep in mind. If you do decide to go Echo, they are on sale at the moment.

I'd say to you the most important thing when doing a renovation is to focus on the stuff that goes in the wall, electrical cable etc. As that is the expensive part to fix later. Much of the other stuff you ask about above can easily be added or changed later if you like once you have the right cabling:

- as much Ethernet cable as you can
    - Ethernet cable to where you might like to put IP cameras
    - neutral wire at light switches
    - deep back boxes at light switches.
    - GU10 fitting for downlighters
    - cabling for an alarm system

Those sort of things.

I've lots of Hue and I really like it. Logitech Circle IP cameras. Netatmo smart thermostat.

Nvidia Shield TV is great. Don't really need a smart tv then.

I've smartthings hub too, useful, but I wouldn't really say you have to have it in order to tie everything together. You can do that with GH or Stringify too.

Smart security systems are still very immature in the UK/Irish market at the moment.

Any reason you went Circle rather than Nest Cam.......as a matter of interest.....?
    I have small amount of Hue, both Alexa and google home(google home is smarter, but Alexa is better if you want Bluetooth connection to a high quality speaker), nest thermostats, Tp-link smart plugs.......picked up,a nest cam in a recent sale, but might resell it, the problem I have with it is that you need to drill a really big hole to get the power cord through the wall.......!! So just have it inside a window for the moment......how is the circle?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Any reason you went Circle rather than Nest Cam.......as a matter of interest.....?
    I have small amount of Hue, both Alexa and google home(google home is smarter, but Alexa is better if you want Bluetooth connection to a high quality speaker), nest thermostats, Tp-link smart plugs.......picked up,a nest cam in a recent sale, but might resell it, the problem I have with it is that you need to drill a really big hole to get the power cord through the wall.......!! So just have it inside a window for the moment......how is the circle?

Mostly cost. I picked up the Circle 1 for £60 and Circle 2 for £70 in Amazon Warehouse Deals, condition of both was perfect, as in looked like never opened.

Plus I don't need a sub for them. 24 hours recording is free which is plenty for my needs. So overall very good quality at a cheap price.

The Circle Cameras use a standard USB Type A cable that will plug into most standard USB plugs.

I find it very good, but then I've not had a Nest camera, so can't compare.

Advertisement