Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry roads with salt / grit

• 19-03-2018 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know is driving on a completely dry road that's been gritted cause any concerns about corossion ?

Would it be worth my while rinsing it off with a hose ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I'd be giving mine a thorough clean if I rode it on a dry gritted road, the salt turns to dust and is blown all round the parts of the bike that are exposed.
    Its not as bad as the wet sh1te but its not problem free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd be giving mine a thorough clean if I rode it on a dry gritted road, the salt turns to dust and is blown all round the parts of the bike that are exposed.
    Its not as bad as the wet sh1te but its not problem free.

I have it covered in ACf50 , I didn't see any sign of salt dust even on the sump guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

But? But it's the middle of spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

D3V!L wrote: »
    Does anyone know is driving on a completely dry road that's been gritted cause any concerns about corossion ?

Would it be worth my while rinsing it off with a hose ?

I should really wash my bike more to be honest, i use mine as a daily commuter and the way i see it, it's just going to be covered in salt again tomorrow so my bike is currently covered in salt and horrible road muck/ dirt. Yes, you should scrub it but don't feel compelled to do it immediately, when you do get around to cleaning it just remember that you probably need to make a decent effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Rinse it down to be safe.
    Spent many an hour with a wire brush on corroded parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Think I seen it on del boys videos that a washing powder and water mix is good for neutralizing the salt. One of those pump garden sprayers would do the trick after each spin. It's a certain type of washing powder though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have it covered in ACf50 , I didn't see any sign of salt dust even on the sump guard.

The salt will sit somewhere and next time it gets wet you'll get corrosion. In winter it's better to rinse after every run then wash it weekly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We need real rain to wash the scum off the streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I ended up washing it down with SDOC100 in the end. It didn't remove the ACF50 which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I have one of THESE in my driveway and give my bike a hose down a few times a week, but esp if the bike is wet/mucky and esp during the winter months.

Pump the handle 15-20 and its good to rinse the entire bike, and takes up feck all space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I have one of THESE in my driveway and give my bike a hose down a few times a week, but esp if the bike is wet/mucky and esp during the winter months.

Pump the handle 15-20 and its good to rinse the entire bike, and takes up feck all space.

Just water I take it?

colm_c wrote: »
    Just water I take it?

That's it, just clear water and the crap and grime is washed off in a jiffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

One of our friendly German retailers have a 5ltr 'garden sprayers' on offer for a tenner from Thursday 22nd.......got one and it's grand, only used it on weeds! (soft spray - yet to try the solid jet) [blue and yeller sign shop]

Nodster wrote: »
    One of our friendly German retailers have a 5ltr 'garden sprayers' on offer for a tenner from Thursday 22nd.......got one and it's grand, only used it on weeds! (soft spray - yet to try the solid jet) [blue and yeller sign shop]

That's an awful long winded way of saying LIDL.

Same sprayer I use, but cheaper. Great for taking crap off the bike after a spin.

Advertisement