Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building in Carlow

Options
  • 19-03-2018 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We have been gifted a site and have a budget of approx 220k to build a 2 storey house in Carlow. We would ideally like a house of approximately 2000sq ft and would like to have it close to A rating efficiency. This will not be a self build project as I have no experience in this area. Anyone any idea if this is possible with our budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

I'm no expert but I'm going to suggest that €220,000 isn't going to be enough to build a 2000 square foot with an A-rated efficiency. I am going on my own experience of a 64m2 extension in South Dublin in 2015.

I'm presuming that the €220k figure will be used to pay professionals fees as well as the house build. Straight away you've to pay approx. €2,900 to Carlow County Council for Development Contribution as a condition on any planning permission granted ie 185m2 - 40m2 = 145m2 multiplied by €20 per m2.
    http://www.carlow.ie/wp-content/documents/uploads/Adopted-Carlow-Development-Contribution-Scheme-2017-2021.pdf Page 10

You could be looking at possibly €4,500 for architect fees, project manager, engineer etc. Then you've to include water, waste and electricity connection fees. They all add up.

There's better posters that are on these forums who may be able to guide you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you build a straightforward box. Smallish windows etc you might just get it done. But it would be very very tight

Also on top of contract cost you’d be looking at
    Solicitor fees and stamp duty approx 2.5 k
    Architect fees
    Percolation test
    ESB connection. 2k
    Council fees 2-3k
    Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Derbyogill

That's a great place to start thanks very much for the replies. We may need to reduce the house size to 1800sq ft and look into extending in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Derbyogill wrote: »
    That's a great place to start thanks very much for the replies. We may need to reduce the house size to 1800sq ft and look into extending in the future.

Never ever do that way, cheaper to build the right size first day.

If you don't need all the house the first day you move in plan a phased finish inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Robert Allen

We have been gifted a site and have a budget of approx 220k to build a 2 storey house in Carlow. We would ideally like a house of approximately 2000sq ft and would like to have it close to A rating efficiency. This will not be a self build project as I have no experience in this area. Anyone any idea if this is possible with our budget?

It would be possible but would be very tight. If the footprint and roof were kept very simple in design it would be possible.You could built it alright but builders fees etc would make it tight.

You might have to forego a few "desirables' and go with basic essentials - the minimum amount of insulation, no fancy cills or window heads, timber ceiling as opposed to hollowcore slabs, sand and cement render, no heat recovery & airtightness, fibre slates as opposed to natural, cheaper windows from local suppliers etc etc...(all of which are totally fine by the way!)

The best thing you could do is get a Qs to price a few options..

Be very clear with your builder about what is going into the house. Some will say - ah yeah we will build that.... but then a few months later there wont be money for insulated plasterboard slabs...that type of thing.

If you had a decent Architect he or she should be able to design it with budget in mind...minimum external walls & corners, level wall plates / no dormer roof area...those type of things would help.

Another option - there are a few people who would price foundation, blockwork, roof and plastering only. That might be worthwhile. Theres a company who do all the renewables and plumbing in the area too. Then go direct labour on the rest.

Ive a few contacts for guys if you need them.

Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Derbyogill

Thanks for your detailed reply I really appreciate it. Would you mind sending me on some details of a good QS if you know any please?

Also would you know what a more comfortable budget would be. Are we talking 250k or more like 300k?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Robert Allen

Thanks for your detailed reply I really appreciate it. Would you mind sending me on some details of a good QS if you know any please?

Also would you know what a more comfortable budget would be. Are we talking 250k or more like 300k?

Sorry - i dont have QS contacts. I just know its a good idea as we did a self build and there wasnt a Qs involved but we would have avoided a lot of issues if there was.

Spend a month or so getting it priced then decide how much you want to spend. You might find you wont be able to finish it to the spec you want for the figure you have. If going down the mortgage route try to draw down 30 - 40 more than you think youll need. Its a lot easier than looking for extra during the build.

Ill be honest - im not a builder but you should be able to build a decent house for 200 grand...fees and builders charges will bring this higher obviously as will the design, amount of insulation, type of renewables etc etc....100k ballpark should get you a well insulated shell if self building. Foundations, blocked, plastered, roofed, first fix plumbing and elec and windows.

I know a friend who was quoted 250k for a very well spec/finished house that was about 2800sqft. ( the builder is also his and my friend so the price /margin was tight & the builder told me after he was happy he didnt get the job as he wouldnt have made barely anything on it apparently! ) Id imagine if you paid a builder 300K youd get a very well finished & high spec very big house!

If you have plans bring them to a few builders, if quotes are too high bring them back to the architect and get them to change the design to lower the cost.

You prob dont need a QS if you are going with a builder but he or she can advise as to how to change the design to lower costs. (Some architects are not great with this -some, not all, are more concerned with how it will look as opposed to the costs. Some think to lower the cost means to make rooms smaller etc - not always the case)

Again, its just my opinion based on experience and im not in anyway qualified- hopefully you will get more informed info on here from other users.

You are prob eager to start but my main point would be that it is worth the extra time and money involved in figuring out all options now before you start - it will save time and money in the long run!

Advertisement