Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove these pedals?

Options
  • 19-03-2018 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how best to remove these pedals? Thanks

Comments

I think between pedal and shank there is a slot for the narrow wrench

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/park-tool-home-mechanic-pedal-wrench-pw5/rp-prod12332

One of these will do the trick.
    A 15mm spanner might work, if there's enough space to get it between pedal and crank.
    Chain Reaction also do a Brand X pedal spanner for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tip:Drive the pedals OFF, spin the pedals ON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Tip:Drive the pedals OFF, spin the pedals ON.

Lefty lefty tighty

Lefty lefty tighty

I can never tell my left from my right... especially if the bike is upside down! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

When you are taking the pedals off you turn the spanner towards the rear of the bike (for either side). This is the easiest way I find to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

youtheman wrote: »
    When you are taking the pedals off you turn the spanner towards the rear of the bike (for either side). This is the easiest way I find to remember.
    That's the way I've always remembered it - forward towards the front of the bike to go, reverse to come off.

BTW - I think the OP is wondering about the wrench not the actual direction.

I don't turn the spanner...I hold the spanner and turn the cranks/pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The pedal attached to the arm that has the crank (big cog) tightens and loosens as normal and the pedal attached to the arm that has no cog has a left hand thread, which means is tightens by turning anti-clockwise. These are usually easier to turn with the crank still attached to the bike - as I found out recently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There is some basic assumed knowledge in that though, What does “turn/rotate to the right (or front/rear/whatever)” actually mean?

Usually we mean turn/rotate clockwise to the right but we don’t tend to say that. If you rotate the spanner counterclockwise it still rotates to the right, just from underneath, and it also rotates to the left, but from above. So “turn/rotate to the right” is a very ambiguous phrase.

For a horrific demonstration of this ambiguity, ask your young child to turn your dial-controlled fan up while you are struggling mid turbo session. If my experience is anything to go by, your initial plea to “Turn. The. Dial. To the right.” will be quickly followed by “Nooo! To. The. Other right!”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Pedals are like races - on (to) the front or off (to) the back

Advertisement