Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE The Greatest Royal Rumble Network Special Thread (Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno who's making decisions. I wouldn't say Taker is too pleased about all the changing, for a start.
    Contract negotiations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Unless jericho cancelled or ruru really did try get released and they talked him out of it it makes no sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What a strange situation with Rusev. Maybe Jericho lobbied to reinstate him behind the scenes, seems like the kind of thing Chris would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

This came out last night about the Rusev match. Strange since John Cena was saying similar things in his promos a few weeks ago.

http://www.bodyslam.net/2018/04/17/exclusive-backstage-update-on-reason-rusev-was-removed-then-placed-back-into-casket-match-with-the-undertaker/ BodySlam

“A SOURCE IN WWE TOLD ME THAT SOMEBODY IN THE OFFICE WAS DEFINITELY RUBBED THE WRONG WAY BY THE INITIAL COMMENTS RUSEV MADE TO TMZ (WHERE HE REFERENCED UNDERTAKER AS BEING OLD). WWE IS VERY SENSITIVE TO THE POTENTIAL OF OFFENDING OLD TIMERS. ONCE THEY REALIZED UNDERTAKER WASN’T OFFENDED, THEY PUT RUSEV BACK IN THE MATCH.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,167 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does Undertaker not get fed up at some point with doing these one-off matches with no real backstory? Does he not think, "I could do more?".
    When the day comes that the Undertaker truly wants to retire people won't believe it if it's just another one match deal. He and WWE have cried wolf twice on that already. He'd have to come back and do some proper program. Even if it's just flying in to cut a weekly promo. Is it too much to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

briany wrote: »
    Does Undertaker not get fed up at some point with doing these one-off matches with no real backstory? Does he not think, "I could do more?".
    When the day comes that the Undertaker truly wants to retire people won't believe it if it's just another one match deal. He and WWE have cried wolf twice on that already. He'd have to come back and do some proper program. Even if it's just flying in to cut a weekly promo. Is it too much to ask?

I'm sure this is all his choice, I would imagine the head guys in wwe would love him to work 300+ days a year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't think I was originally planning to watch this when it was announced but since then they have essentially used the Mania main event to sell the non main event of this, considering the 50 Man Rumble has to be the main event, and added a steel cage stip as well as announcing an actual (casket) match for the Undertaker which has gotten a shoot style story amongst other things, think i'll have to watch tbh

Surely the 50 man Rumble winner will have to get a title shot if it isn't already a champion who does the winning. Nakamura to win another rumble to get his rematch with AJ styles even though he lost at Mania maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm sure this is all his choice, I would imagine the head guys in wwe would love him to work 300+ days a year.

As an in ring performer? No way, they know he is banjaxed at this stage, nobody wants to see him in the ring anymore. It's not fair on anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Is this Saudi event, which appears to be a yearly event, going to be called the greatest survivor series next year?

Or is next years event gonna be called the 2nd greateat royal rumble?

Why did it even need to be called a royal rumble anyway, having that name associated with it just diminishes the actual royal rumble

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Is this Saudi event, which appears to be a yearly event, going to be called the greatest survivor series next year?

Or is next years event gonna be called the 2nd greateat royal rumble?

Why did it even need to be called a royal rumble anyway, having that name associated with it just diminishes the actual royal rumble

Royal Rumble because WWE were brought there by Saudi Royal Family and for loads of money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

z2vln14unjs01.jpg
    I actually don't mind the idea of a trophy being the prize for the winner, cause it means a part timer can win it for the fun moment, AND they don't need to worry about booking an obvious winner who had to hen get a title shot. It actually opens the field a bit more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bring back Darren Young and have him win it.

What's the chances of Finn wearing his LGBT trunks here and promoting equal rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Great to see that the only thing in last few days about GRR is all about Rusev :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

xpletiv wrote: »
    Great to see that the only thing in last few days about GRR is all about Rusev :)

Well it is on Rusev Day after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder if it's an actual trophy or one of WWE's cheap plastic jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wonder if it's an actual trophy or one of WWE's cheap plastic jobs?

I hope it's the size of The Ashes urn.

Styles vs Nakamura now confirmed.

First look at the stage.

vznvwgo6rqs01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there some reason for this now? Just with this and also hearing the news of the cinemas opening there, it seems some law changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

So this is really gonna be Wrestlemania 34.5, it's gonna be outdoors and all.

It just makes this year's wrestlemania seem pointless which in itself was only used to set up the superstar Shake Up

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is there some reason for this now? Just with this and also hearing the news of the cinemas opening there, it seems some law changed?

I think there's some new young Prince trying to drag the country a few centuries forward, and part of that has been paying various areas of the entertainment industry a load of money to go there and promote their stuff there. UFC have a similar thing if I remember right (lots of cash in exchange for doing a show over there).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Any word on how long a show this will be?

Hope it isn't crazy like Mania. I'd prefer if it was being held in another country and woman were allowed on the card etc but it just shows the WWE can book megashows whenever they want, but they are reactionary (instead of proactive) and no better way to get a reaction than by giving them truckloads of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Any word on how long a show this will be?

Hope it isn't crazy like Mania. I'd prefer if it was being held in another country and woman were allowed on the card etc but it just shows the WWE can book megashows whenever they want, but they are reactionary (instead of proactive) and no better way to get a reaction than by giving them truckloads of money.

5 hours is what I have seen.

I wouldn't surprised to see an annual mega show pop up in China in the coming years especially with Shane connections there.

I wonder will this show be performed at a house show level though? The card looks good on paper but other network specials have just been like watching a house show live.

I wonder will this show be performed at a house show level though? The card looks good on paper but other network specials have just been like watching a house show live.

Given its being hyped on shows, and the money involved, I'd say they'll be told to treat this like a Mania tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,211 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Sheikh is probably booking it for the money involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Surprised they didn't get Goldberg to appear at the event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

J. Marston wrote: »
    Sheikh is probably booking it for the money involved.

The Iron Sheikh? Not sure that’s a good idea, interesting though it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Yes it's 5 hours long! It starts at 5pm our time and finishes at 10. There is also a 1 hour long kickoff show. It's on a Friday and Raw on the Monday is in Quebec which is about a 14 hour flight. The quality of WWE may be poor at times but they must have the hardest working backstage staff, I hope they are well compensated.

Advertisement