Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Buy Tomatillos in Cork

Options
  • 19-03-2018 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Does anyone know if you can buy tomatillos in Cork. Would the English Market be the best chance of finding them? There is a place in Dublin Picado Mexican that carries them, but they are out of stock now and Cork is closer to where I live in Kerry. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi all. Does anyone know if you can buy tomatillos in Cork. Would the English Market be the best chance of finding them? There is a place in Dublin Picado Mexican that carries them, but they are out of stock now and Cork is closer to where I live in Kerry. Cheers.

I bought fresh tomatillos at a farmers market several years ago but haven't seen them since.
    If you do find them, let us know. The salsa verde from fresh ones was amazing. I wonder how tinned would compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

I bought fresh tomatillos at a farmers market several years ago but haven't seen them since.
    If you do find them, let us know. The salsa verde from fresh ones was amazing. I wonder how tinned would compare.

Unfortunately I don't live in Cork ( wish I did ), so I don't get up there as often as I would like. I got the tinned tomatillos from Picado Mexican, and made a very good salsa verde from them. There was quite a lot in the tin whi made a large portion of salsa, and I bagged smaller portions for freezing. I'm running low now thus my request. Picado Mexican -which I was turned on to by someone here on Boards - is a good source for Mexican products, but they run out from time to time therefore I was hoping to make a trip to Cork if they were available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marser

I just went looking for tomatillos at the English Market this afternoon - to no avail. I was looking for poblano (ancho) chili peppers and no success either. Would Fallon & Byrne's in Dublin have them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

marser wrote: »
    I just went looking for tomatillos at the English Market this afternoon - to no avail. I was looking for poblano (ancho) chili peppers and no success either. Would Fallon & Byrne's in Dublin have them?

Picado Mexican as mentioned. I buy lots of stuff there. Lovely little shop and the lady that runs it is really nice

https://www.picadomexican.com

tototoe wrote: »
    Picado Mexican as mentioned. I buy lots of stuff there. Lovely little shop and the lady that runs it is really nice

Many thanks! I'll definitely pay a visit next time I'm in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Many thanks! I'll definitely pay a visit next time I'm in Dublin.

You can order online from their website and they'll deliver quickly and they don't charge and arm and a leg for it.

On another note: I bought a huge portion of Ancho Chillies. They have quite a bitter taste, and I was wondering has anyone ever used them in the Salsa Verde recipe? I'm out of Serrano chillies and want to make some Salsa Verde today.

You can order online from their website and they'll deliver quickly and they don't charge and arm and a leg for it.

On another note: I bought a huge portion of Ancho Chillies. They have quite a bitter taste, and I was wondering has anyone ever used them in the Salsa Verde recipe? I'm out of Serrano chillies and want to make some Salsa Verde today.

Ancho chillis are the same as poblano chillis, only dried, no? I went looking for them at the English Market to no avail. Where did you buy yours?

Ancho chillis are the same as poblano chillis, only dried, no? I went looking for them at the English Market to no avail. Where did you buy yours?

I buy all my stuff from Picado Mexican. I did just learn from the net that poblano and anchos are the same. I bought a huge supply and they keep for a long time in their sealed pouches. I will be in Cork during the week, if you wish I can leave some where you can pick them up. We don't have to meet - if you know someone with a business there I will be glad to drop them off. PM me.

To follow up previous post if anyone is interested the salsa verde made with the anchos was delicious. I served it with homemade tortillas, homemade black bean frijoles, chopped onion and tomato, chopped jalapano and the nice salsa verde. Yummy,

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Look what Mr. Bells have in stock:

IMAG0002.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement