Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to stop dress clinging to tights?

• 19-03-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

There’s a thick strip of cotton around the bottom of this dress and it clings to tights when I walk. Any ideas how to prevent it clinging?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

grazer wrote: »
    There’s a thick strip of cotton around the bottom of this dress and it clings to tights when I walk. Any ideas how to prevent it clinging?

Body lotion over the tights

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Stheno wrote: »
    Body lotion over the tights

Thanks, will think about it - worry that grease stains from lotion might appear on the cotton strip

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

grazer wrote: »
    Thanks, will think about it - worry that grease stains from lotion might appear on the cotton strip

Use a very small amount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Wear a slip?

Addle wrote: »
    Wear a slip?
    There’s a waterfall hem on the gathered skirt of the dress - can’t really wear a slip - shorter hem to the knee in front than behind. Might try it and see though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I've heard that hairspray works but haven't tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Hair spray works. Have done it loads of times!

Have tried both suggestions. Hairspray on tights, and body lotion on tights. Not a blind bit of difference ��
    This dress is turning out to be very hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What sort of tights are they?
    Can you wear them in a different material?

M&S opaques, velvet soft or something. Tried other tights but same problem.
    Think will have to try a slip.
    If I can get my hands on one!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

What about rubbing in some talc?

Right, talc on shopping list too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmcp

Rinse tights in neat fabric softner

cmcp wrote: »
    Rinse tights in neat fabric softner

Thanks - just doing that now. Might attempt the cotton band of the dress too, if things get desperate!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Could the cotton band be removed from the dress? If it is a facing on the hem, it might be replaced with a silk facing which may fare better with the tights.
    Admittedly, this would cost some money to a dressmaker or Alterations place. But it sounds like a nice dress that you like wearing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Have soaked tights in fabric conditioner. Got a slip which helps but doesn’t completely stop the cling. Wearing tomorrow so will deploy hairspray, body lotion, the slip, and hope for the best! (And hope I don’t spontaneously combust!)

Advertisement