Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Subjects - Can they make me?

Options
  • 19-03-2018 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Only wanted 7 at most but as Applied Maths is an additional subject, I still had to pick 7 other subjects. Applied Maths is my best. Ideally, I'd like to keep my best 6 and stick with Applied Maths. Any advice on what I can do here, if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

Only wanted 7 at most but as Applied Maths is an additional subject, I still had to pick 7 other subjects. Applied Maths is my best. Ideally, I'd like to keep my best 6 and stick with Applied Maths. Any advice on what I can do here, if anything?

You could drop one to ordinary level that you're not too fond of. I did 8 with app maths and dropped to pass Irish, and didn't need to count my English grade (kept as honours anyways just incase I flunked another)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Who is 'making' you do 8 subjects?
    You don't have to sit any exam you don't want to.
    Make sure whichever subject you decide you are not going to sit doesn't adversely affect any college plans etc..
    You may still have to attend classes, but you cannot be forced to take any exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

spurious wrote: »
    Who is 'making' you do 8 subjects?
    You don't have to sit any exam you don't want to.
    Make sure whichever subject you decide you are not going to sit doesn't adversely affect any college plans etc..
    You may still have to attend classes, but you cannot be forced to take any exam.

Well I suppose it's the school system that's 'making' me. Thanks for your advice on exams, that's really good to know.
    adam240610 wrote: »
    You could drop one to ordinary level that you're not too fond of. I did 8 with app maths and dropped to pass Irish, and didn't need to count my English grade (kept as honours anyways just incase I flunked another)

Thanks. Its not that I dislike the subject but more the extra workload and time spent attending the class that I could put to better use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Thanks. Its not that I dislike the subject but more the extra workload and time spent attending the class that I could put to better use.

Just drop it t OL if that suits your 3rd level choices, if you've 6 strong subjects drop two if you want. I'm poor with languages, dropped Irish and French to OL and saved myself loads of time and hassle.

It suited me as I was good at 6, poor at 2 subjects, if you're good at 7 you might be better off doing all 7 at HL as a safety net.

*Edit* If it's not strictly necessary for 3rd level then have a chat with your parents and teacher about taking Applied mathematics and dropping the other one altogether if you'd prefer to free up the class time

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Just drop it t OL if that suits your 3rd level choices, if you've 6 strong subjects drop two if you want. I'm poor with languages, dropped Irish and French to OL and saved myself loads of time and hassle.

It suited me as I was good at 6, poor at 2 subjects, if you're good at 7 you might be better off doing all 7 at HL as a safety net.

*Edit* If it's not strictly necessary for 3rd level then have a chat with your parents and teacher about taking Applied mathematics and dropping the other one altogether if you'd prefer to free up the class time

Thanks a million for all that. Will have to speak to them. I'm lucky to be strong in everything but don't want to push my luck with 8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement