Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Headset Bearings???

Options
  • 19-03-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

I am considering investing in a new Canyon Endurace CF 8. For value for money nothing comes near. However, I saw a post on Boards last week where the Canyon headset bearings were trashed after just 2000km:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106437731
    A google search throws up a few other issues including a UTube video where the bearings only lasted 8 weeks and 800miles (1300km)!!!
    Were they just very unlucky or is there a real issue with these bearings?
    They must normally last longer than that.
    My current bike is a 5 year old Giant Defy and I recently changed the headset bearings for the first time after 26,000km. Admitadly it should have been done a bit sooner as the bottom bearing was badly corroded and fell apart removing it. The top bearing was ok and the bike wasn't giving any trouble.
    Any advice from Canyon owners would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Have that same bike, and I saw that thread too. I can only say that I have had no issue with it in just about 10k km (according to Strava).
    That's a sample size of one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Have that same bike, and I saw that thread too. I can only say that I have had no issue with it in just about 10k km (according to Strava).
    That's a sample size of one though.

Thanks Buzwaldo, that's reassuring. I was thinking that there couldn't be a widespread problem with Canyon headsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The biggest issue with the bearings is that they're a unique/obscure size costing 70 quid plus to buy.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Just to repeat what I was saying on the adverts thread about Canyon headsets. The bottom bearing on its own is not available anywhere for sale. I did source one before in E Fox's but they are now gone.

The AI-70 headset and in particular the bottom bearing AC3748 is Acros/Canyon's own bearing standard. No third party company makes them. Hopefully, that may change in future.

For Canyon CF SLx bikes 2016 and onwards, the newer AI-69 is available cheaper if you search online - £26.50 shipped on Ebay. I guess that was partly a response to complaints about the AI-70 and its ridiculous price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

I used these guys. £55 for the 2x bearings.
    https://www.kineticbikebearings.com/canyon-ai-70-headset-bearing-set.html

On inspection only my top one had actually gone, haven't looked but I think the top is a standard size so maybe open up and see what you need before buying the set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

just got mine replaced after 2 years and 10k+ on a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2016 model. they had gone a little sticky. top and bottom bearing was 9 euro each and delivery 8 so about 26 euro delivered from Canyon. all is now well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

thekooman wrote: »
    just got mine replaced after 2 years and 10k+ on a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2016 model. they had gone a little sticky. top and bottom bearing was 9 euro each and delivery 8 so about 26 euro delivered from Canyon. all is now well :-)

are these listed on the Canyon site, don't see 'em ?
    or did you contact them directly ? how long was delivery?
    do you need a headset press to install ?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

LBS installed it for me.
    contact canyon on email uk@canyon.com and quote original customer order for the bike.
    had it in 3 days from payment.

Advertisement