Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trackman

Options
  • 20-03-2018 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has used this to find out the distances between irons.have a new set and finding it difficult to guage.if so where did u use trackman? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The GUI academy at carton would be a good starting point I'd say.

I did a combo of a lesson & trackman combine test there so have the tech you want.

Had a voucher for an hour session & the two things above took about 40-45 minutes. Once done he left me to just use the trackman for data.

Wasn't enough time to do a full gap test, but I'd say if you asked for it they'd be able to sort you out no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Just go to a range hit 10 7 irons and measure average distance than add/minus 10-12 yards for each iron. That is accurate enough for me anyway.

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Just go to a range hit 10 7 irons and measure average distance than add/minus 10-12 yards for each iron. That is accurate enough for me anyway.

How would you take that average measure from the 10 shots? Are you bringing a range finder with you?

Also, how much difference are you going to see with a beaten up range ball vs the ball you use on the course?

How would you take that average measure from the 10 shots? Are you bringing a range finder with you?

Also, how much difference are you going to see with a beaten up range ball vs the ball you use on the course?

Personally I use a golfbuddy to measure my distance leaving out the best and worst of my 10 shots.
    Personally don't think It warrants wasting money on a trackman to tell me the same as my GPS does.
    Personally I know my 7 iron goes roughly 165 so I just add/minus 10 yards for each iron.
    Regarding the balls I don't honestly think it would make a huge difference to handicap golfers(unless very very low scratch or better) but if possible would use reasonable golf balls just for peace of mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Personally I use a golfbuddy to measure my distance

Why would you bother wasting money on a golf buddy or even taking measurements? :rolleyes:

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Why would you bother wasting money on a golf buddy or even taking measurements? :rolleyes:

My golfbuddy is useful in every round I play.
    Imo trackman is not worth the fees charged

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think we learn by experience roughly how far we hit each club. Easiest to learn on par 3's.

Factor in variances such as weather and inconsistent swings and strikes and after that you do your best to select the correct iron, but it's always a guess to a degree.

Top players will be more scientific.

Personally I use a golfbuddy to measure my distance leaving out the best and worst of my 10 shots.
    Personally don't think It warrants wasting money on a trackman to tell me the same as my GPS does.
    Personally I know my 7 iron goes roughly 165 so I just add/minus 10 yards for each iron.
    Regarding the balls I don't honestly think it would make a huge difference to handicap golfers(unless very very low scratch or better) but if possible would use reasonable golf balls just for peace of mind

I have a GPS myself that I use on a course, and also have GameGolf which gives me my numbers.

But I'm curious as to how much use a golfbuddy is on a range? Are you hitting 10 balls & then walking out onto the range with the golfbuddy to get your measure.

I have a GPS myself that I use on a course, and also have GameGolf which gives me my numbers.

But I'm curious as to how much use a golfbuddy is on a range? Are you hitting 10 balls & then walking out onto the range with the golfbuddy to get your measure.

Exactly. It's not a driving range I use but a large practice area.
    On golfbuddys you can mark a spot and walk to ur ball and it measures ur distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭bazzamac

It's hard to get yardages in most driving ranges.crap balls and can't see where balls are lying due to raised greens

Sorry based in South dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Find a big field, football pitch hit 10 with the 9 and 7 it will give u a good guide.
    Use the balls u use on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golf balls at driving ranges are muck, have been hit over and over again and they do not give you a true representation as to how your distance will be with real balls on course, and that goes for all handicaps from scratch to ahem 54!

Of course maybe you are one of the ones who robs the range balls we often find on golf courses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Seve OB wrote: »
    Golf balls at driving ranges are muck, have been hit over and over again and they do not give you a true representation as to how your distance will be with real balls on course, and that goes for all handicaps from scratch to ahem 54!

Of course maybe you are one of the ones who robs the range balls we often find on golf courses :D

The range balls are like bullets and are great for driving with but once I get up around the green I like to change back to my soft feel ball. Really handy during without when it's placing.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

ForeRight wrote: »
    The range balls are like bullets and are great for driving with but once I get up around the green I like to change back to my soft feel ball. Really handy during without when it's placing.

Hopefully you are not changing your ball during a hole? To my knowledge that not legal, placing or no, at least not for competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

To my knowledge that not legal, placing or no, at least not for competition.

Theft not legal either :D (he's not serious about either point I'm sure) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

My instructor bought a trackman recently, he uses it in pretty much every lesson. It's quite fun once you get into it a bit, I would love to have full time access to one for every range session.

If you just want to get distances i am sure you could arrange something with him for a 30 min session. I think the range also has one available to the other instructors. http://kinsealy-grange.com/ is the range, and the instructor there I am talking about is Eoin Gibbons (https://www.eoingibbonsgolf.com/).

As others have said, you don't need one but it's good fun to have a driving range session with one, would recommend it just for that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Hopefully you are not changing your ball during a hole? To my knowledge that not legal, placing or no, at least not for competition.

I only ever play competitions with mates so nobody really has an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »
    I only ever play competitions with mates so nobody really has an issue with it.

As long as they're just team comps.

Advertisement