Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a loan?

Options
  • 20-03-2018 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

We have just purchased our first home and are due to move out of our rental property but we have no furniture and can not afford another months rent. The only problem is we haven’t handed the money over to the developer yet. We have drawn down our mortgage and the funds are in our solicitors account. Does anyone know if we are safe to apply for a loan or should we wait? TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Sorry misread your OP.

How long until the developer gets the funds? It took us only 3days from drawdown to keys - what is the delay?

Is it a new build? Are floors included? You'll want to get your floors done first, otherwise you'll have dust everywhere and your place will be freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Look on Adverts & Donedeal and see what you can pick up for free or cheap. I know you want to furnish your house, but it’s better to re-solidify your financial position for a few months first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

dudara wrote: »
    Look on Adverts & Donedeal and see what you can pick up for free or cheap. I know you want to furnish your house, but it’s better to re-solidify your financial position for a few months first.

This.
    Those of us that are older, all ended up with a hideous brown sofa donated by a relative. It was then in turn passed on to a younger relative who was starting out, if/when we could afford to replace it.
    Get one of the many sofas being given away for free, throw a 'throw' over it of your desired colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nastygal2511

We have been saving e2000 a month, and paying e1350 rent. Our mortgage payments are e1100 so I think we can afford the e150 loan for the next 12 months. I was just looking for to know if now is the right time to apply for the loan or wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nastygal2511

GingerLily wrote: »
    Sorry misread your OP.

How long until the developer gets the funds? It took us only 3days from drawdown to keys - what is the delay?

Is it a new build? Are floors included? You'll want to get your floors done first, otherwise you'll have dust everywhere and your place will be freezing

It should be Friday, developer is waiting on the BER cert. they are hoping to have it Wednesday.

We have our floors booked and paid for for next week. Downstairs is tiled so it was just upstairs and the sitting room that we had to organise.

And to clarify a sofa is not top of my list right now I just need a bed so I don’t have to pay another months rent, my sitting room will be the last room done as it’s not a necessity right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Just get a mattress for now - if your really that broke that's all you really need.
    Why do you need to pay rent once you have keys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It should be Friday, developer is waiting on the BER cert. they are hoping to have it Wednesday.

We have our floors booked and paid for for next week. Downstairs is tiled so it was just upstairs and the sitting room that we had to organise.

And to clarify a sofa is not top of my list right now I just need a bed so I don’t have to pay another months rent, my sitting room will be the last room done as it’s not a necessity right now

You can get a bed for half nothing on done deal. Some people will pay to have a bed taken away!. I bought one at an auction a few years ago (solid pine) 5' x 6'6" for €65. I used the mattress for a few months, then bought a new mattress and threw out the old one.

Advertisement