Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google (and Microsoft)

Options
  • 20-03-2018 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was looking at the pricing of XBox One X on xbox.com

£449 pounds was equalling €503 euro on the day I checked - I think it was Friday.

The box costs €499, but also retails at $ 499 dollars, so at the moment we have to pay about 83 eruos more for an XBox One X than an American - it worked out at 409 Euros and change.

Rip off, but not "Rip Off Ireland" that is Rip Of (AGAIN) Microsoft.

But then Google - today I was considering removing advertisements from Peel ( a remote control app)
    USD .99 per month for that - nahh, especially as Google wanted to charge 1.09 euros as the equivalent to 99cent USD!!

WHy do we always get ripped off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

IanMcLeish wrote: »

We don't live in America. Why would things cost the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IanMcLeish

Ehm, maybe because it costs the same to manufacture, in the same place, which is likely in China.

And especially the Google thing - it has been made, there is no extra cost per sale, so they shouldn't try to make an extra bit.?

Why shouldn't they cost the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Summer In the City

Ehm, maybe because it costs the same to manufacture, in the same place, which is likely in China.

And especially the Google thing - it has been made, there is no extra cost per sale, so they shouldn't try to make an extra bit.?

Why shouldn't they cost the same?

Because the cost of doing business varies wildly from country to country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

I was looking at the pricing of XBox One X on xbox.com

£449 pounds was equalling €503 euro on the day I checked - I think it was Friday.

The box costs €499, but also retails at $ 499 dollars, so at the moment we have to pay about 83 eruos more for an XBox One X than an American - it worked out at 409 Euros and change.

Rip off, but not "Rip Off Ireland" that is Rip Of (AGAIN) Microsoft.

But then Google - today I was considering removing advertisements from Peel ( a remote control app)
    USD .99 per month for that - nahh, especially as Google wanted to charge 1.09 euros as the equivalent to 99cent USD!!

As a gamer, this comes up a lot.

American states charge a similar tax as we do in VAT.
    This is called sales tax, and is for the state government, rather than the federal government.
    The rate varies by state, even 0% in some states, or 0% if you buy from another state online or by mail.
    These taxes are not included on the shelf price like they are here because the EU legislated it for us, but the US government don't care, or it'd be hard since as I mentioned each state charges a different percentage sales tax.

Example:
    In New York city you purchase that xbxoxx1x console at 499, you pay 8.875% sales tax.
    You pay 543.29(543.28625 rounded up because that's how money works probably) American dollars.
    You check your revolut app for the best rate and boom! You just spent €440.07

After all that you factor in the fact that Irish consumers aren't very savvy, the government tax diesel to hell and a myriad of other #costs and GameStop put that 499 down.

Or maybe Microsoft don't want to annoy American consumers by making our numbers smaller looking than American ones for buying the console, your choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

ex vat / sales tax price

Ireland €405 / $498

USA €406 / $499

UK £374 (€427) / $523

Cheapest ex tax price is Ireland, dearest ex vat price is UK.

BTW - the EUR to GBP rate is 1.1425 today. Last Friday the rate was 1.133 (€509, not €503)

So at this exact time, it is one dollar cheaper here in Ireland excludng sales tax / vat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Example:
    In New York city you purchase that xbxoxx1x console at 499, you pay 8.875% sales tax.
    You pay 543.29(543.28625 rounded up because that's how money works probably) American dollars.
    You check your revolut app for the best rate and boom! You just spent €440.07

After all that you factor in the fact that Irish consumers aren't very savvy, the government tax diesel to hell and a myriad of other #costs and GameStop put that 499 down.

and if you are in New York, you'd had better have health insurance as if you get ill, that will cost you thousands - or tens of thousands.!

Over here, the gov takes some extra taxes but provides a far better health system than the usa. Similarly if you are out of work here, you get decent social welfare until you find work again. In the US you get it for a couple of months and then to to get lost.

swings and roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Could y'all stop making factual assertions to rebut OP's emotional argument please.

Advertisement