Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads Scope from US.. by post. Looking for 'end users' agreement plus advice on its us

Options
  • 20-03-2018 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Lads Scope from US.. by post. Looking for 'end users' agreement plus advice on its use.
    I'm getting a scope shipped to me that I bought and paid for nearly 6 years ago.

I can't find the original documents, at least not yet. The scopes condition is currently unknown and it could be knackered. I think I paid 2-300 bucks at the time.. it's not a military scope, it's not designed as a rifle scope. It's a pistol scope and even then it was vintage. 10x32mm Burris pistol scope IIRC.. lol
    It's being posted by a regular person.

I don't want them to get in trouble so do I get them to declare the contents and I'm I required to submit an 'end user' agreement and who does that go to?

Also considering that I have been the owner of the scope for 5 year do I still need to pay taxes here?

Any help or thoughts are welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've done this many times when importing from the UK as they demand it for anything over 4 power, but never form the states so i may not be the best of help on that end.
    Zxthinger wrote: »
    I don't want them to get in trouble so do I get them to declare the contents and I'm I required to submit an 'end user' agreement and who does that go to?
    Scopes are classified as Glass products when importing and the end user agreement is only for the Government of the country of origin so that Government knows the scope is not being sold to the Taliban or to a prohibited country. A copy off the authorisation to ship, when issued, will be placed on the outside of the packaging so the various customs in each country (there and here) can see what it is and that is is legal to ship and legal to import.

When i completed the ones for the UK it was two weeks after i returned the end user agreement to the dealer i was buying from that the dealer got the export permit/authorisation and the scope was shipped.

The reasons i gave were hunting and target shooting and i named the lands i shoot on (area/county) and the range i was a member of.

As i bought from a dealer i'm not sure if the same applies to a private sale, but i'd hazard a guess that it does.
    Also considering that I have been the owner of the scope for 5 year do I still need to pay taxes here?
    The length of time you own it is irrelevant as it has never been imported. If you buy a car you pay import/VRT, etc. The only thing age does/may do is lessen the amount, but this will most likely NOT be the case here. The total tax on glass goods is VAT at 23% and a further tax of 4.5% on glass products. So 27.5% of the total price including shipping (they tax the shipping costs too or did each time i got stuff from the states).

That is about all i can give in terms of help/understanding of the process.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

OK[Deep breath.....] Once again... Link to purchasing scopes and end user certs etc from the USA. @Mods,could we put this in the important threads,as this crops up about twice a year?

export Licensing

Certain products such as rifle scopes, optical sighting devices (red dot, holographic sights, and reflex) and laser sights destined for certain countries may require an export license from the United States Department of State or United States Department of Commerce.

to refer to the USDOC's Commerce Country Chart to determine if you will need an export license. However, for your convenience, we have listed the countries below that do not need a license or are eligible for an Strategic Trade Authorization (STA) License Exception. If you do not find the name of your country on the list, it means you would need an export license.

No License Required

The countries listed below do not need an export license.

Albania

Greece

Netherlands

Australia

Greenland

New Zealand

Belgium

Hungary

Norway

Bulgaria

Iceland

Poland

Croatia

India

Portugal

Czech Republic

Italy

Romania

Denmark

Japan

Slovakia

Estonia

Latvia

Slovenia

France

Lithuania

Spain

Germany

Luxembourg

Turkey

United Kingdom

Eligible for STA License Exceptions

In accordance with the Strategic Trade Authorization (STA) License Exception, some items going to countries that would normally require an export license are now eligible to be shipped without an export license. If you live in one of the countries listed below, you may be eligible to receive your purchase without applying for an export license. However, you must complete an Ultimate Consignee Statement agreeing to the terms and conditions of the STA License Exception.

The following countries are eligible for STA License Exceptions.

Austria

South Korea

Finland

Sweden

Ireland

Switzerland

All Other Countries

If your country is not on either list above, then you will need to have an export license. The application processing time is typically 4-6 weeks but may be longer.

Your full name
    Complete address
    Phone number
    Email address
    Reason for purchase – personal or resale
    Kind of use – hunting, personal defence, competitive shooting, or other (if other, please specify)

Link to the form http://www.mtixtl.com/xtlflyers/bis711.pdf

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you had the receipt from 6 years ago,it is in your possession over in the US, and you are now importing it as personal used property. So you can argue that it is depreciated in value with the Customs.

Had the same lark with my Glock many years ago.The fact I still had the recipt from at the time 16 years later,deflated the import duty in 2006 to to 25 quid.Basically, 12.50 euros for two customs officials to look in a box and carry it out to me in Shannon customs and be disappointed that they weren't going to get much more import duty out of me.

You will get a form of confirmation with the STA liscense confirmation. Keep that with the scope for as long as you have it,and pass it onto the next owner as well.So then you are covered if it turns up in Iraq somewhere and you receive a visit from two gentlemen in dark glasses and suits with buzzcut hairdos, brandishing badges with American 3letter agencies on them asking unpleasant questions about a scope you sold to some bloke in the pub 10 years ago.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement