Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with a boss

Options
  • 20-03-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've always had a relatively alright relationship with my boss, except for the fact that I'm pretty sure she doesn't like me. She seems to pick on me for things that she says nothing else to anyone about, and she's said some pretty nasty things to me before. But this isn't my issue.

About two weeks ago, I mentioned that I was going to apply to have Paddy's weekend off, which she then informed me wouldn't happen, because 3 people already had it booked off (only 3 people can be booked off on the one day), so I didn't request it off and let it go. I was rostered to work Paddy's weekend and fully intended to do so. That was until I started to feel unwell on Thursday evening and said I'd see how I was on Friday. Come Friday evening, I still wasn't feeling any better so I called in sick. I spoke to one of the other managers who asked me to get a doctor's cert, which I did, and I said I'd let them know I was feeling on Saturday. I was still feeling bad on Saturday so I called them and told them that I wouldn't be in again. I ended up talking to the main boss (the one who doesn't like me) who was being an absolute b*tch over the whole thing.

I spoke to her initially in which she was awkward about the whole thing, but eventually accepted it. She called me back about 15 mins later saying that she just remembered that I mentioned taking Paddy's weekend off, and how it was "awfully convenient" that I happened to be sick. She said it was "too coincidental" for her liking and that she wasn't at all impressed by it. However, I told her that I couldn't help that I was sick, and did she really think I'd go to all that trouble just to have the weekend off? She just kept saying it was too coincidental, and basically calling me a liar even though I was genuinely sick.

I feel the whole thing has gotten too much, and I absolutely do not want to go back to work there. I've been thinking about handing in my notice for a while now, and this has just pushed me to the edge. I think what I basically want to know is if I'm just overreacting to the whole thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

While she acted unprofessionally by calling you back etc it’s always a red flag to managers when an employee asks about a popular weekend, can’t get it because it’s not available and then rings in sick.
    It’s a classic “I’ll have the weekend off anyway” move.

Yes you have a cert, but honestly I could walk into my GP today and come out with a cert, probably for a week if I wanted it.

All you can do is present your cert, apologise for not being there and let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

No you're not overreacting at all its obviously not a nice place to work so if you to leave you should. They shouldn't be questioning you once you have a sick cert either.

I was in a similar situation with a manager picking on me and telling me I can't leave the building on breaks etc then asking other staff to go get her an ice cream etc on their breaks which was plain bullying which was affecting my health and causing stress etc and dreaded going to work till I eventually got the courage to complain about her and was able to do a switch. She was trouble anyway so they moved her to a different building which she wasn't happy about!!

Anyway my point is I know what it's like to have someone picking at little things and it can wear you down but you have to stand up for yourself and tell them you won't accept being treated like that you deserve better

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

I arrange shift cover and it is an absolute pita to have to go around phoning people at the last minute to see if they can come in to cover for an absent colleague at short notice, still worse on a bank holiday weekend. Can you see the position you place your boss in?

I agree she should not have called you a liar, but I sense her frustration. As Brian says, it does raise suspicions if you call in sick for a weekend you were looking to take off but were refused.

Bad luck happens and it was your bad luck as well as your bosses' that you were sick. Bad luck because it will inevitably affect the relationship with your boss for the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Hi OP,

If you were genuinely sick, followed procedure and provided a doctors certificate, then there's not much more you can do. Yes, it was co-incidental but sometimes that happens.

While your boss may not believe you, you followed all the correct procedures, she will have to suck it up but makes your future relationship and/or prospects bleak.

It sounds like she may have legacy issues with you based on what you have said:

I think your options are:

1. Do nothing - however not really an option given how your feeling
    2. Clear the air - have an open and frank discussion if that's possible
    3. Find new employment

Best of luck.

Advertisement