Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built house

Options
  • 20-03-2018 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

I have just finished building a house. inside being finished and ready to move in start of May. 

What are my options in relation to broadband and getting set up?

Trying to decide on a provider at present 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭eir: Thomas

Hi  big_drive,

Please feel free to send me your full address and Eir code, I would be happy to look into this for you.

Thanks 

Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

We signed up for Eir broadband etc. Direct debit forms etc filled out
    After engineer called it was decided some poles will be needed on the road. 

That was all ok until we've now being told it will be at least August before we will be fully set up. Disapointing it will take so long as i've a course to do in July which requires broadband. Obviously the 14 day change of mind period has passed. 

If we decided is it still possible to cancel?   I presume so as the service we signed up for is still not being provided 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No services, Distance selling still applies RE 14 days.

Cancelling to change provide will make it SLOWER. Only cancel the order if you want to go with mobile "broadband".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

big_drive wrote: »
    We signed up for Eir broadband etc. Direct debit forms etc filled out
    After engineer called it was decided some poles will be needed on the road. 

That was all ok until we've now being told it will be at least August before we will be fully set up. Disapointing it will take so long as i've a course to do in July which requires broadband. Obviously the 14 day change of mind period has passed. 

If we decided is it still possible to cancel?   I presume so as the service we signed up for is still not being provided 
    Hi big_drive, 

I'm sorry to hear about the delays you are experiencing with your order, I understand this is frustrating. 

The 14 day cooling period comes into effect when the service has gone live so if this has not happened yet you can cancel the order with no penalties. If you wish I can have a look into this for you, feel free to PM me your account number, full name on the account, date of birth and email address and I'll investigate this. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DigitalDarkAge

Is this a very common issue?

I have just moved back after 15 years away in the UK and have rented a new build house in Douglas in cork.

I am absolutely amazed that so far it has proved impossible to get any internet to the house. The house has been waiting on Eir for 3 months. I cannot contact Eir for any information as I am told I do not have an Eir account or service. How can I have an account or a product?

It is hard to believe that the only option is to sit quietly in an internet free house until a magical engineer turns up at some date which cannot be even estimated. I am expected to work from home soon and this is not even possible. I am ordering a mobile broadband router to try and keep me sane but given the current signal is poor on my mobile I do not hold much expectation on this being great.

Do you know if there are companies that do not require Eir to complete line installation before they can set up a building with broadband?

Do Eir have any responsibility to provide a connection within a certain timeframe ? Surely if they are the only service provider then there must be some limit to how long they can take.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Is this a very common issue?

I have just moved back after 15 years away in the UK and have rented a new build house in Douglas in cork.

I am absolutely amazed that so far it has proved impossible to get any internet to the house. The house has been waiting on Eir for 3 months. I cannot contact Eir for any information as I am told I do not have an Eir account or service. How can I have an account or a product?

It is hard to believe that the only option is to sit quietly in an internet free house until a magical engineer turns up at some date which cannot be even estimated. I am expected to work from home soon and this is not even possible. I am ordering a mobile broadband router to try and keep me sane but given the current signal is poor on my mobile I do not hold much expectation on this being great.

Do you know if there are companies that do not require Eir to complete line installation before they can set up a building with broadband?

Do Eir have any responsibility to provide a connection within a certain timeframe ? Surely if they are the only service provider then there must be some limit to how long they can take.
    Hi DigitalDarkAge, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here. 

In order for us to activate a service in your house, you would need to place an order with ourselves. If you have done this feel free to PM me your order number and I'll have a look at it for you. 

If you have no order is in place, can you PM me your address and eircode and I can check the situation at the house for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

If there's nobody living there and paying the bill there's no point cabling up to it.
    It's no longer a state owned company..
    If there's a customer signed up then yes service will need to be brought out to build a path capable of supporting a landline. As for broadband range is a factor.
    If an account gets cancelled so does the order for bringing poles up the road.
    The pole request is attached to the order. When a customer cancells and makes a new order or just cancells outright the pole request is dropped.

Advertisement