Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake reviews.

Options
  • 20-03-2018 1:07pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We've all been there, asked a question about something (usually a firearm) and we get a load of mixed reviews. From it's great, to ok, to steer clear. It can be frustrating and sometimes you end up more confused than when you first started.

The old saying of "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one" is true and i love it as it's part of the fun of discussing something. However recently i've found a trend of people giving opinions/reviews on items they have never used or owned. Nothing new there but they are recommending the latest "buzz item" instead of giving an honest opinion or just staying out of it.

A recent thread brought this topic to mind when a young lad said that after a few months with a rifle he was told to buy, over what he originally wanted (was told the rifle he wanted was rubbish and would let him down time and again), he hates the rifle and is sorry he didn't just go for what he first wanted.

Some might blame the young for not going with his gut, but when you get a complete new guy they rely more heavily on "experienced" opinions than what they want.

Wondering has anyone else suffered this? Ever go for something after reading reviews only to find it crap or not what you thought?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

yeah that standard 10/22 i have,

i should have stuck with my 32 year old cz452

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

I agree with you Cass. On the interweb every clown is an instant expert on everything.

It's like real life. Listen to people you know who have proven expertise in the area you're looking for advice in :) Never listen to the "I have one & love it" what suits someone else may not suit you. And defo don't run out to buy the latest fad as that's all it may be, a fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

So many reviews such as 'I haven't bought this yet but it looks great, 5 stars'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

One of the funniest things I've noticed on this forum is the tendency, when it comes to shotguns, to dismiss anything that isn't Italian, and starting with a "B" ;

Q: "I've a budget of €300, what do you think of Brand X?"

A: "Waste of time, brothers uncles cousin said he knew a fella that blew his earlobe off with one, put another €3,000 with it and you could get a secondhand Benelli"

Q: "I saw this Turkish auto in my dealer for €500 anyone used one?"

A: "Shure all Turkish shotguns jam all the time and I saw 4 of them fall apart at the clay range the other day, you'd be mad to buy one when you could get a 35 year old lightly used Beretta ou for 10 times that much"

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Baikal is now Italian and costs 3 grand??:eek::D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

What annoys me is 'blind faith'......

'Such and Such (an authority in the eyes of the beholder) says that this is the only man for the job ...blah blah blah'

.....or a lad who's so stuck in his ways, usually without any previous experience in other ideas, products etc he can't see further then the tip of his nose and rubbishes any other thoughts.....

Now I respect experience and knowledge, but both are limited after a while if the individual doesn't move forward.

I've made mistakes, both my own and based off others advice but I've learnt over the years that sometimes after a few questions you'll come to a fairly good decision.

If I had the money that some had advised me to spend on kit I'd be divorced by now, but then again if I had some of the money back I waisted I'd be better off.......

...either way proper experience with all the joys and the snotts and tears is hard to beat and this comes from doing and not saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I only ever give reviews of stuff i have actually owned, or had the use of. I do not have any axe to grind about any particular brands, but to me some are overrated, and for a newbie starting out for instance, i have seen some advising them to buy very expensive gear eg. an anschutz .22 rifle to plink at a club, when i would recommend a cz for 1/3 the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

Gravelly wrote: »
    One of the funniest things I've noticed on this forum is the tendency, when it comes to shotguns, to dismiss anything that isn't Italian, and starting with a "B" ;

Q: "I've a budget of €300, what do you think of Brand X?"

A: "Waste of time, brothers uncles cousin said he knew a fella that blew his earlobe off with one, put another €3,000 with it and you could get a secondhand Benelli"

Q: "I saw this Turkish auto in my dealer for €500 anyone used one?"

A: "Shure all Turkish shotguns jam all the time and I saw 4 of them fall apart at the clay range the other day, you'd be mad to buy one when you could get a 35 year old lightly used Beretta ou for 10 times that much"

:D:D:D
    Haha, fair enough I've been guilty of a post or two like that myself . But with good reason some of those Turkish guns are pretty badly made and in fairness if you could find a tidy 35 year old Beretta you'd be better off. Certainly when it comes to resale value. Sounds daft but it's true. Anyway Lanber were the best budget gun of all. They don't start with B or come from Italy .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Rifle Calibers is another one...

The poster only recommends what they own and the answer changes when they change guns..

Whats Cal for deer shooting?

.243 Owner: .243

.243 owner now buys a .308

What Cal for deer shooting?

.243 Owner who now has a .308: .308

308 owner now buys a .270

.243/308 Owner who now has a .270: .270

.270 owner now buys a 300 win mag

.243/308/270 Owner who now has a 300 winmag: 300 winmag

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Great topic for post. I think key when looking for a review is the context of same
    ie

If person reviewing owns the item or has owned it
    The context that they've used the item in
    Whats good about item
    Whats bad about item
    Whether they would buy again or could recommend an alternative.

I generally only provide my tuppence on equipment I've owned but even then my opinion is coloured by my choice in that most people (myself included) want others to validate thier choice by going and buying the same thing as was identified by other posters.

Another annoying thing is people "recommending" absolutely top of the line stuff when most people are on a budget and are looking for things that are good within a certain price range.

Regularly see here people saying buy Zeiss or S&B scope for over a grand, buy once cry once etc which is great advice if you have loads of money.
    Of course Zeiss victory is a great scope but is it a great scope for the money when something half the price would do 90% of the same job?

What about the guy with a budget of €1000 to include rifle, scope, scope rings etc...?

J

• Advertisement
Advertisement