Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabilizer Jacks for Campervans.

• 20-03-2018 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

New season is upon us, got out last weekend, and it was great.

Minor bugbear - with six souls contained within our campervan (2004 Carioca on a Fiat Ducato Chassis), we got *alot* of movement when parked. Any movement will sway the camper noticeably.

To improve things, I was thinking about fitting something that will stabilize the camper when parked - in much the same way as caravans work. Something that folds/winds down, and will stop/minimize any roll or pitch, like this one:

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/atwood-stabiliser-jacks-long-pair-2686-p.asp

Has anyone ever retrofitted this setup to their camper? Advice or pointers? Seems like a no-brainer to improve the quality of sleep for <200 Euros. I can tack on a tilt switch to a light on the dash for a "Don't drive off with these things down you idiot" alert.

I'll have to have a gander under the camper to see if there is a suitable mounting point at the front and/or back, but it can't be rocket surgery.

Comments

Jaden wrote: »
    I can tack on a tilt switch to a light on the dash for a "Don't drive off with these things down you idiot" alert.

People seem to manage without one for their hook-ups.

Go electric...ya know ya want too! a_stir_it_smiley.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I suppose you know a guy who can supply me with an off-grid power solution to run those yokes....

You mean a "It's-a-camper-what-should-have-a-working-stand-alone-power-infrastructure-as-standard-system"?
    Yeah I know a guy. ;)

But I was thinking you could do it for a quarter of the price with some old 14.4V drills and screwjacks! bicycle.gif

Only cost ya 2Ah per deployment.

Only cost ya 2Ah per deployment.

Amp Hours, the true currency of the Motorhome fraternity.

I was thinking about how to attach screwjacks if I were to use them. I'll have a poke about underneath, and see if there is something more solid than the fuel tank or waste water tank to attach them to.

I was going to stabilise the back of the camper, and review to see if I need 2 more up front. 200 yoyos maximum, plus a days guntering should get me most of the way there.

Amp Hours, the true currency of the Motorhome fraternity.

Indeed. It's a bit like holding a finger in the wind though. Watt hours is far more accurate.

Looks like I'm alone on that one. Can't get a decent battery monitor that speaks SI-units for under €150...and then they claim to be professional manufacturers.

I was thinking about how to attach screwjacks if I were to use them. I'll have a poke about underneath, and see if there is something more solid than the fuel tank or waste water tank to attach them to.

You should have a continuous set of box steel chassis rails sub-frame. Get yer welder out!

Rivnuts & grade 8 stainless bolts would be my second choice.

• Advertisement

Problem here might be clearance. The old Ducato has loads of it, and it's a heavy yoke too - so pilfering a caravan stabiliser set is off the cards, unless I get some almost-mobile-home-sized ones. Before I measure, I reckon I'm 650mm before I hit something solid from the ground up.

A pair of supports at the back, right out to the corners might solve ~75% of my issue.

Welding is guntering of the highest order, and essentially glorified soldering*.

This is gonna be bolted on properly.

* You have been trolled.

Locking shocks?

It's a pity you couldn't do that easily.

Clicky + inverter

Air lift jacks + air compressor for 4x4 recovery might be another option.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3ZayfGb3weax_z-Kqe82NZ0KVlhz3eHkXjt4NyLusIhmD6koe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If the rear chassis is original ducato and its swaying that much i would bet that one or both or your spring assistors are knackered

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9BkAAOSwUKxYiG8U/s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If the rear chassis is original ducato and its swaying that much i would bet that one or both or your spring assistors are knackered

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9BkAAOSwUKxYiG8U/s-l300.jpg

Although if they installed and extra spring leaf it can leave them so high that those do nothing

The actual amount of movement is small, but it's enough to affect quality of sleep. The overhead bed above the cab is occupied, as are the two rear bunks along the back. A little more stability would go a long way to peaceful Zzzzs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Maytrix

My 1996 Iveco has a pair of motorised jacks at the back. Don't use them every time but they work a treat in windy weather or when there's more than the two of us on board and the over-cab bunk is occupied.

Advertisement