Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average monthly mortgage repayments

Options
  • 20-03-2018 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

A little bit far flung but wondering what’s the average monthly mortgage repayments for people who’ve bought in the last few months?

I’m in the middle of buying my first house and I can’t imagine many of my friends being ever able to afford a mortgage. Despite our consistent savings for years I can still see us having a highish (but manageable) monthly payment for 25+ years despite the low interest rates. We are in Galway and everything is skyrocketing, much the same as cork and of course Dublin. The pace of rent is going up quicker and I can only imagine people getting caught with an unimaginable mortgage payment if they buy in 3-4 years time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Currently coming towards the end of the bidding process on a 3bed terraced in south dublin. On a reasonably good rate with an exception on a 35yr schedule our mortgage would be just under the 1500 mark if all proceeds as planned. For reference I'm currently renting a 2 bed duplex in finglas for 1250 a month, expecting that to rise in the next couple of months though so hoping this sale goes through!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You first op..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My better half and I are looking to buy at the moment, have AIP, payment range is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of our take home pay, probably closer to the 1/4 than the 1/3.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

My better half and I are looking to buy at the moment, have AIP, payment range is somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of our take home pay, probably closer to the 1/4 than the 1/3.

This is a good way to judge whats affordable without exposing peoples exact finances. Is around the 25% mark deemed affordable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

You first op..

Yet to confirm but around 1200. Still waiting on final approvals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

1250 at a low interest rate. I should have stretched for something bigger as its only a bit more than 10% of take home but the market was different when I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

use in excel
    =-pmt(rate/12,term in months,balance)

find a few places you like
    look at one fo the banks and look at their fixed rates or variable rates you could pick 3.6% for example
    and then pick a term, maybe 30 years so 360 months

so =-pmt(3.6%/12,360,275000)

answer is 1250.27 for above.

and it will give you an idea.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

You take home 12K a month!!?

Our mortgage payment is 15% of combined take home, purchased in Limerick City summer 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just got her under 700 a month. 4 bed semi in North Dublin bought in 2015 with a large deposit and we've paid down some recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

You take home 12K a month!!?

Our mortgage payment is 15% of combined take home, purchased in Limerick City summer 2017.

Mortgage is €1585.
    Overpaying by 10%.
    On a 3% fixed rate on a house in South County Dublin.
    Was originally a 30 year term - down to 26 with overpayment. 24 years to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

786 a month. Happy enough at that level. It represents about 15% of take home. Not particularly enamored of the thought of another 23 years though. Time to start lashing in a regular over payment similar to the last poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dev_ire

rameire wrote: »
    use in excel

look at one fo the banks and look at their fixed rates or variable rates you could pick 3.6% for example

Ignore me, this is spot on (I entered house price not mortgage amount)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

1250 at a low interest rate. I should have stretched for something bigger as its only a bit more than 10% of take home but the market was different when I bought.

You take home €12,000 per month after tax, and you’ve got a mortgage for around €300k?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

spyderski wrote: »
    You take home €12,000 per month after tax, and you’ve got a mortgage for around €300k?

I don't think it's that unusual for people with high incomes to have relatively modest mortgages. High incomes tend to be lumpier and more difficult to sustain over a long period. Also, income tends to peak late in life when people are focusing on building retirement funds, not taking on massive debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

We bought in 2016 in Cork City. Mortgage is about 14% of take home pay. House needs work/extension. So may rise to 20-25% yet and assuming no wage increase. I took a 35 year mortgage too though. In general whilst a bit outdated I like the old 30% rule for housing costs and want to stay within it with a buffer for future rate increases. But each to their own. Those rules obviously are based on an average so if you've large or very small outgoings outside of house adjust accordingly. So many variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Bought in 2014 for 250k, borrowed 165k over 20 years, payments were €1,025 per month, but overpayments since the beginning coupled with 2 interest rate reductions (1st was due to reduced LTV (though I still had to call and ask for it) 2nd was due to threatening to switch to a competitor with a lower rate) means our monthly repayments now are €714 (calculated for the remaining 16 years), however continued overpayments should have us fully repaid in about 5 years.

We are paying about 35% of our take home salary.

Total expected interest repaid should reduce from about 85k to about ~40k

Probably would have been even further along had we not been surprised with the news of a little bundle of joy on the way within a month of moving in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

rameire wrote: »
    use in excel

dev_ire wrote: »
    Ignore me, this is spot on (I entered house price not mortgage amount)

even easier here and you can see precise payments for any inetreest rate over any term in a couple of seconds

http://www.amortization-calc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

When people give the % of net pay on mortgage, are the identitying their joint (with partner) % on mortgage, or on their own income?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

chases0102 wrote: »
    When people give the % of net pay on mortgage, are the identitying their joint (with partner) % on mortgage, or on their own income?

I was looking at it as joint in my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

chases0102 wrote: »

joint salary in my case as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

CeilingFly wrote: »
    even easier here and you can see precise payments for any inetreest rate over any term in a couple of seconds

http://www.amortization-calc.com/

https://www.drcalculator.com/mortgage/ie/

This one here has a lot of extra options for things like overpayments, interest rate changes, calculates your loan after deposit, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

20% of joint net income in my case. bought last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers.... I'm about to close on a new build with my partner, bang on 30% of joint net income.... Hopefully we're not making a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Just over 25%, single income. Bought 4 years ago. LTV must be much less than <80 now so think it's worth going to pay for new evaluation to avail of the lower interest rate. Or any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

We're about to sign contracts and close. Currently paying 21% of our joint take home in rent. Mortgage will be for thirty years at 17% of current take home pay. Buying 290k with 20% deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Just over 25%, single income. Bought 4 years ago. LTV must be much less than <80 now so think it's worth going to pay for new evaluation to avail of the lower interest rate. Or any thoughts on that?

Beware of increased home insurance costs! Revaluation may up the value of the house but also brings rebuild value up. Ours increased by 50,000 meaning we'd to insure for higher!!
    Didn't think of that hurdle in advance. House prices stayed the same, rebuild went up - go figure! Previous evaluation done three years ago, the new one was last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Fair play to you guys, I couldn't face a 30 year mortgage. I took out a 30 year mortgage just to meet the repayment criteria but remortgaged as soon as I could. Knocked 10 years off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Went from paying 2000 rent for a small midterrace with communal parking, and a slope for a back garden, to €1050 over 30yrs (overpaying by 450pm) for an a rated 3 bed semi with nice West facing garden, and driveway for 3 cars.

Both in Ridgewood Swords.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Beware of increased home insurance costs! Revaluation may up the value of the house but also brings rebuild value up. Ours increased by 50,000 meaning we'd to insure for higher!!

Isn't that a good thing?

The alternative could have been you discovered you were underinsured in the unfortunate scenario where you needed to make a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I pay 550euro a month, 1 bed room apartment.
    Bought in 2009.

It suits me pretty well and its kinda been like a safety net against all the wierd stuff that has been happening in the market.

I was lucky and got it on some 'help me buy' scheme which reduced the price about 30%.

The value of the place now is exactly what i paid for it. It never really went in negative equity. I purchased at 127k. 'market' value was 197k. It dropped to 120k and is now back at 130k.

The numbers i see others passing around scare me alot. I have great sympathy for those who need to pay 1/3 or 1/2 of their income. Very sad.

Advertisement