Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trading down

Options
  • 20-03-2018 5:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on trading down and how that works if you have arrears on your mortgage?

I am currently paying full payments on my mortgage but I wasn't for a period of about 5 years so there are arrears of about 20k.

If I want to trade down how does it work?

I want a smaller house with less expenses, just don't know how it works mortgage wise.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Are you in positive or negative equity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 pocketpolly

Are you in positive or negative equity?

Just about positive I'd say.

Just about positive I'd say.

If there is enough to clear the amount outstanding including arrears, that is one hurdle. The problem is that you have no equity for a deposit on another house. You will need a 100% loan on another house. That will be problematic.

If there is enough to clear the amount outstanding including arrears, that is one hurdle. The problem is that you have no equity for a deposit on another house. You will need a 100% loan on another house. That will be problematic.

You see that's what I'm wondering. Is it like starting all over again? Selling the house, paying off the mortgage and applying for another one?

If that's the case then surely I can't ever do it because given my credit history I would never get another mortgage, deposit or not?

You see that's what I'm wondering. Is it like starting all over again? Selling the house, paying off the mortgage and applying for another one?

If that's the case then surely I can't ever do it because given my credit history I would never get another mortgage, deposit or not?

You will have to pay down the existing mortgage and hope for a rise in values. That will then create enough equity to make you a proposition for another mortgage. You could talk to a mortgage broker and see if there is any kind of negative equity product available. I have my doubts that there is as you don't want to end up in subprime.

• Advertisement

Essentially yes.

You will have to pay down the existing mortgage and hope for a rise in values. That will then create enough equity to make you a proposition for another mortgage. You could talk to a mortgage broker and see if there is any kind of negative equity product available. I have my doubts that there is as you don't want to end up in subprime.

Yeah, it looks like I'm stuck for a long time yet which is such a pity as it's a very large house, very expensive to run and I'm starting to hate it as it's gets older, requires more maintenance etc. Feel very stuck.

Yeah, it looks like I'm stuck for a long time yet which is such a pity as it's a very large house, very expensive to run and I'm starting to hate it as it's gets older, requires more maintenance etc. Feel very stuck.

If it is bigger than you need, avail of the rent a room scheme. Put some of the tax-free rent against the outstanding loan and create some wriggle room.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

If you were in negative equity, depending on what products are offered from your bank, you could get a negative equity trade down mortgage.

Advertisement