Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Change to carpentry

Options
  • 20-03-2018 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

im 24 years old highly thinking about a career change from dairy farming to carpentry. i don't think farming is for me one of the biggest reasons being work/life balance. my question is carpentry a good career? I like being hands on with work I've no prior experience I did work in a sawmill and enjoyed it if that's anything to go by. i also thought about being a personal trainer but don't particularly want to go back to college I also think the sector is quite saturated. any advice appreciated tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The problem with something like carpentry is it’s boom bust dependant.

You’ll do well when things are on the up, but the minute it turns your idle and depending on the next boom, and it’s been a cyclical career like that for generations.

Your right about the personal trainer thing, everyone who’s ran a 5k and finished seems to be a personal trainer now.

Some trades like sparks cross over into industrial maintenance so at least that might give you more options.

At 24 I wouldn’t rule out college, there are plenty of part time options you could do while milking, I did my last degree part time starting at 30, many years ago.

Then I have to ask have you explored any farm partnership options. You could get in with someone local and maybe share the workload more, farming can be a lonely gig but there are plenty of lads looking to get involved in dairy farming who may be interested.

You could lease your dairy set up as is and fund yourself through full time college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Carpentry is still a great choice and it’s future proof robots might be driving cars but we will still need chippys. I got a mail from a guy who came back from abroad last week looking for a start and he’s now on 900 a week. If you like working with your hands and you have an interest in carpentry I don’t see why you wouldn’t .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Make sure you cover your ears at all times as the tools involved can be loud and it is not like DIY or the occasional use you might be accustomed to in farming. There is a world of difference between doing something for a living and doing it as a hobby or interest or occasionally to save money.

Proper training is essential and also proper tools and equipment.

Good calculation, planning, and pricing is vital to success in any trade, you will be under great pressure to lower prices and cut corners but there will be regulations to prevent this. This is especially important in trades such as gas, electric or structural aspects of building where engineers and inspectors will crucify you for any mistakes made or shortcuts taken. On the other hand accountants and contractors will try to pressurise you into lowering prices.

It is probably wise to go as far in IT or university education as you can along with the trade certification in order to have as much knowledge as you can to beat off the sharks.

Chasing money and enforcing payment will become a familiar art. Coming from a farming background you will probably know as much as you need about this essential skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 johnnyboi93

_Brian wrote: »
    The problem with something like carpentry is it’s boom bust dependant.

You’ll do well when things are on the up, but the minute it turns your idle and depending on the next boom, and it’s been a cyclical career like that for generations.

Your right about the personal trainer thing, everyone who’s ran a 5k and finished seems to be a personal trainer now.

Some trades like sparks cross over into industrial maintenance so at least that might give you more options.

At 24 I wouldn’t rule out college, there are plenty of part time options you could do while milking, I did my last degree part time starting at 30, many years ago.

Then I have to ask have you explored any farm partnership options. You could get in with someone local and maybe share the workload more, farming can be a lonely gig but there are plenty of lads looking to get involved in dairy farming who may be interested.

You could lease your dairy set up as is and fund yourself through full time college.

thats one of my main worries about being a chippie would be the boom/bust situation but it would be my preference of trades.

yes I shouldn't rule out college just the thoughts of being skint and being in a classroom again would be annoying haha.

the situation at the moment is my father owns and runs the show I've just recently told him my intentions of doing an apprenticeship which he was fine with and I'm not ruling out farming. but tbh I don't really enjoy it.

i could always have some involvement on the farm when the downturn comes along

i have no intention of getting a mortgage for a house and being debt ridden id more so buy/build a modest timber log home (a lot of our generation I think will go down this route) and having that peace of mind in the downturn.

Advertisement