Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retin A creams

Options
  • 20-03-2018 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Hi has anyone experience with Retin A creams? Im considering going to my doctor for a prescription. I took a bad reaction to a facewash a few years ago and my skins never been the same since. I broke out in cystic spots which i still have scarring from and the acne never really went away, ive continued to get stubborn clusters ever since. As well as this my skin has aged 5 years in the past 2 years. I dont know whats going on with it but ive now got deep lines, 2 years ago I had to show 2 id's as the sales assistants didn't believe how old I was.

Im worried about starting a retinol because it was skincare products that caused my skin problems in the first place.
    Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Is there a particular reason you want to start retinols ahead of other skincare products? It would be quite harsh on the skin (but obviously used properly yields amazing results) Could you tell us a bit about your current routine, do you cleanse, tone, moisturise etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Is there a particular reason you want to start retinols ahead of other skincare products? It would be quite harsh on the skin (but obviously used properly yields amazing results) Could you tell us a bit about your current routine, do you cleanse, tone, moisturise etc?

It just seems like it works. My brother was prescribed a retinoid cream in his teens for acne and within a few months he had perfect skin. Hes nearly 40 and has great skin, no lines at all.

I cleanse everyday with a rose cleansing oil and tone rose water.
    Then I use a rosehip oil
    Then moisturize with a basic cream like astral, nivea or cocoa butter.
    I do this morning and night. I dont really drink alcohol, I drink lots of water and have a healthyish diet.

Also ive tried everything to get rid of the acne and nothings worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It sounds like your skin could be dehydrated as the products you have mentioned above don't add moisture to the skin (but do prevent moisture loss). Dehydration can cause lines and wrinkles and exacerbate acne/spots. I personally would tackle that before starting prescription retinols which are extremely drying.

Would you consider incorporating an acid toner into your routine? You can start off quite gentle with the strength (Pixi Glow Tonic for example) and build up to stronger formulations. This could help your skin build up a general tolerance if you wanted to switch to retinols then. On the other hand it could give you an idea of how sensitive your skin is to harsher treatments so would give you a better idea of what strength retinol to go for.

On the results side of things, I've found acid toning to make a huge difference to the texture and brightness of my skin. Can't attest to how it works on acne scars however but it might be a good place for you to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I would recommend checking out the ordinary.
    Their Lactic Acid 5% is a great chemical exfoliant that's easy to use, I prefer Lactic acid to glycolic acid but it's a personal thing.
    They also sell some retinol products, much lower doses but much cheaper to try out, I find them very good

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    I would recommend checking out the ordinary.
    Their Lactic Acid 5% is a great chemical exfoliant that's easy to use, I prefer Lactic acid to glycolic acid but it's a personal thing.
    They also sell some retinol products, much lower doses but much cheaper to try out, I find them very good

+1 for the ordinary, I've yet to try a product from their skincare line I don't like. So many options and their website gives a really detailed breakdown of each product, it's great. Yeah would be no harm to research the different types of acids you can use and which one would suit you best.

Thanks everyone, my skins quite sensitive - I get allot of rosacea and redness thats partly the reason I want to go to the doctor the get a prescription as she might be able to guide me on the best retinols and dosages.
    I got the Ordinary vitamin C serum and I wasnt too impressed if im honest, did nothing but leave me with a sticky face. Kind of turned me off the brand
    My skin is definitely Dehydrated - Im thinking about booking in for a facial.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

I have similar issues with my skin as OP and still trying to work out what works. But I have found a good improvement since I starting using products from Image. I got their gift set at Xmas with the cleanser, Vit C serum and spf. They are all suitable to start if you have sensitive skin and work way around then to maybe the stronger products. Still considering a bit of botox tho!
    Any other recommendations for products or treatments for dehydrated skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

For dehydration I love hyaluronic acid. The ordinary does one but I prefer the indeed labs hydraluron - they have a serum and moisturiser that work really well together. Also check out hylamide - they’re part of Deciem (who own the ordinary) but like the next brand up - slightly more expensive but the products are less basic than the simple one ingredient products the ordinary have.

Hi everyone, I just wanted to update and ask for others opinions on this. I went to my GP and told her I was really self conscious about my skin because of the acne and lines and requested a Retin A cream. She was really rude about it, I left her office feeling like a dope. She said she never heard of Retin A being used for anti ageing, she said it wont do anything for skin aging or fine lines, she said thats just advertising and it doesnt work. She also told me if I get a Retin A I also have to go on contraception incase I get pregnant as it can harm unborn babies. She wouldnt give me the retin A but prescribed me a spot treatment which cost 40 euro.
    Does what she said sound right? im not sure what to think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It's advised not to use prescription retinol while pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding so your GP was correct about that. What were you prescribed?

Scraggs wrote: »
    It's advised not to use prescription retinol while pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding so your GP was correct about that. What were you prescribed?

I was prescribed Duac - its a gel spot treatment,it works well for spots, I dabbed a bit on yesterday and theyre already going away but I dont think it will be much good for clearing up old scars and uneven skin tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I was prescribed Duac - its a gel spot treatment,it works well for spots, I dabbed a bit on yesterday and theyre already going away but I dont think it will be much good for clearing up old scars and uneven skin tone.

You're better off going to a dermatologist. They're more expensive but they know heaps more about skin than GPs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

The fact that the GP said she's never heard of it for anti-aging and it's just advertising shows how clueless she is in that area. Retinol is one of the only proven anti-aging products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Have you considered having a skin consultation with The Skin Nerd. It costs €50 and they recommend products suited to your skin from a whole range of different brands. I really think it could be the answer you are looking for.
    Check out her Instagram and Facebook.

Origins do a spot treatment. It’s a tiny little bottle costing around €20, all you need is a little dab and the spots are gone nearly overnight.

Thanks everyone, I was thinking about going to a dermatologist but theyre so expensive and I heard you need a referral from GP to get an appointment.
    The gel she prescribed me is actually really good as a spot treatment and I only used a little bit so it will last me for ever so I dont mind the cost really but I was very confused about what she said about the Retinol cream, she was really abrupt with me too and said why do you think we run a botox clinic upstairs if retinols work for anti aging. Maybe it is just a money racket, I dont know.

Thanks Hairyprincess, ill check them out.

Advertisement