Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

item in hotel

Options
  • 20-03-2018 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

We were at a function in a hotel and something small went missing from my room. The thing is there was 2 cards, one with me and one with my wife and i entered the room twice and my wife once during the night however we did leave the cards on our table while we enjoyed drinks. We have not reported the item stolen because it isnt worth much but we'd like to know who did take it. Is it possible a hotel would let us see the cctv for who entered our room that night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Doubt it. Data protection.

They'd probably let the guards.

What is that was taken? Any chance it was just lost?
    Also you should have looked after the key cards better. Would you leave your car keys on a table?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You won't get to see any CCTV at all tbh.

If it's the key card to the room, if there was a cleaner going around tidying up, they may have picked it up. The cleaners use the same key cards to get into rooms when cleaning and have a few of them, they are usually not marked in anyway, just a blank card so they may have either picked it up thinking it was there's or it could be a policy to not leave cards lying around and they pick up extras and return them to front desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

You definitely wouldn’t be allowed view cctv (and rightly so). However, similar thing happened me. We left a white dressing gown on the bed, when we got back it was gone. I did report it to the hotel. They were sble to give me the times key cards were used to access the room. Long story short, the manager apologised (be email) told us buy another one and scan him the receipt. I did, was €40. And he did refund my card the €40. A week later I got a parcel in the post, my dressing gown!! Turns out the cleaning lady had accidrntly mistaken it as a towel! Probably my fault for leaving it on the bed but the hotel were so helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A white dressing gown could easily be taken for cleaning by mistake as they're the default colour that any hotel that offers them has; even if not included in the room they're often available from reception.

Theft by hotel staff does happen worldwide and hotels need it reported to have any chance of figuring out who is doing it to sack them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kingbhome wrote: »
    We were at a function in a hotel and something small went missing from my room. The thing is there was 2 cards, one with me and one with my wife and i entered the room twice and my wife once during the night however we did leave the cards on our table while we enjoyed drinks. We have not reported the item stolen because it isnt worth much but we'd like to know who did take it. Is it possible a hotel would let us see the cctv for who entered our room that night.

I think you should make contact tbh and let the management know the incident happened.
    You never know, a staff member could have been passing and saw something odd.
    Alternatively, if a keycard (ass opposed to a key) is the access method for that room then management can use a device to scan the lock to see the details of who entered. That could be worth a try imo as it would let the management know a potential problem is happening/developing on their property.

Definitely report. Definitely make contact. It might seem small to you but it could potentially be a bigger issue.

Hope that helps,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

L1011 wrote: »
    A white dressing gown could easily be taken for cleaning by mistake as they're the default colour that any hotel that offers them has; even if not included in the room they're often available from reception.

Theft by hotel staff does happen worldwide and hotels need it reported to have any chance of figuring out who is doing it to sack them.

Has the OP been edited? how do you know it was a white dressing gown?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Has the OP been edited? how do you know it was a white dressing gown?

See post number 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First rule of thumb is to throw away the cardboard “wrapper” that comes with your hotel key. If you have your keycard with you, don’t advertise to all and sundry which room you’re in. The amount of people I see while travelling who have their name & room number visible!

Definitely report to mamagement. If there has been a theft, they will want to know.

Advertisement