Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep getting extra hours

Options
  • 20-03-2018 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I know this is probably the opposite of what people want but I work in a major retail shop and my band is between two sets of hours (25-30) but I keep getting 35 from my manager.

I have a small daughter and I get my mam who is elderly to mind her and can't do long days. I do not want the extra hours and have told my manager but she keeps giving me them and don't know what to do as I really don't want them

Sorry if it doesn't sound like a problem but its stressing me out and worried about my mam.

Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Have you actually sat down and had a proper meeting with your boss to discuss it? Maybe find out why she's scheduling you for the hours she is; is it just due to normal shift lengths and it being an inconvenience to schedule people for short shifts, or do her other employees also not want to work more hours, or are you her best employee and she feels like she needs you on the floor as much as possible as a result? Explain your reasons as well and see if you can come up with a mutually agreeable solution. If not, unless your contract explicitly limits you to 25-30 hours with no allowance for giving you more hours "if the company requires it", there's probably not much you can do other than look for another job that would suit your scheduling needs better.

Advertisement