Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Used Honda 15HP Outboard Reliable?

• 20-03-2018 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking at changing my Mariner 8hp 2 Stroke Short shaft. Its a great reliable engine but i really need a LS . I came across a Honda 15HP LS. Its 1999 year so fairly old but has been serviced and they say little used but there's no way of telling that bit! I've never had a used a 4 stroke so I haven't a clue if this is the right way to go ,or should I wait and find a ling shaft 2 stroke mariner or similar?
    There seems to be lots of different opinions on different forums , is there a bigger service cost? Are parts more expensive? How reliable is a Honda 15hp 4 stroke? Is a 4 stroke a lot quieter than the 2 stroke equivilant?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As with all engines you can never tell what ones are better sometimes it's just a case of better the devil you know :) going from a short shaft to a long shaft is a big jump are you sure it will work on your boat. A 4 stroke will be quieter but I find 2 strokes easier to repair yourself.

14102233_10157456098840624_8142925374663157125_n_zpseyf0miyd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I thought 2-strokes were being phased out? The big question about any engine is its history - service/usage and if it was used in salt or fresh water. Personally I would not buy a second-hand hand as my main engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

fergal.b wrote: »
    As with all engines you can never tell what ones are better sometimes it's just a case of better the devil you know :) going from a short shaft to a long shaft is a big jump are you sure it will work on your boat. A 4 stroke will be quieter but I find 2 strokes easier to repair yourself.

14102233_10157456098840624_8142925374663157125_n_zpseyf0miyd.jpg

Really handy illustration, thanks Fergal.
    In this case I'm definite it's a long shaft I need. The short shaft doesn't reach the water under certain conditions! ...and it's what Orkney recommend. Its a real shame because the Short Shaft I have is a great engine :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

8 hp is a small enough engine maybe you could keep it in the bow as a backup engine and fit an aux bracket low enough so that it will work with your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭nokiatom

what make and size boat is it ?

• Advertisement

What you should do is borrow an 8hp long shaft and see how it will perform. It could make a big difference.

fergal.b wrote: »
    8 hp is a small enough engine maybe you could keep it in the bow as a backup engine and fit an aux bracket low enough so that it will work with your boat..

I'd be wary of that Fergal; fine on the canal/river but at sea when the boat is pitching a short-shaft on a bracket could easily get a dunking. I have a bracket mounted long-shaft 6HP on the back of my boat and when beating in heavy weather and using the engine as a help, the sea scarily often nearly reaches the head.

Is it an Orkney 16ft?

nokiatom wrote: »
    Is it an Orkney 16ft?

Yes, Orkney Longliner. I just traded in the mariner 8 yesterday and have a new (old) Honda 15 waiting to go on. Fingers crossed it will all work out ok. I know the LS is what's needed and 15hp should be good for the boat too. Its more the reliability of 4stroke I'm not so sure about. , never having had one this is not based on fact or experience,im hoping someone else has had good experience of honda 4 stroke!
    Fergal, good idea about having a spare auxiliary engine. I have a 3.5 tohatsu that I plan on using for this.

daesal wrote: »
    I have a 3.5 tohatsu that I plan on using for this.
    Fergal will probably correct me on this but I always understood that the two-stroke 2.5 Tohatsu, the Mercury and the Mariner were the same engine just made in different factories and badge engineered accordingly. Also the 2.5 is a de-tuned version of the 3.3HP.

• Advertisement

Fergal will probably correct me on this but I always understood that the two-stroke 2.5 Tohatsu, the Mercury and the Mariner were the same engine just made in different factories and badge engineered accordingly. Also the 2.5 is a de-tuned version of the 3.3HP.

No you are right I believe between 92 and 98 Yamaha and tohatsu made all the small two stroke's for mercury :)

nokiatom wrote: »

Lots of good info there.
    Just in case it helps anyone. The Mariner 8hp was good on the longliner,never had any complaints except the shaft was too short. They are a good solid boat.

Advertisement