Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des Hanlon 2018 A4 Route?

Options
  • 21-03-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the A4 route is the same as last year? I seen this course on their facebook but it doesn't add up to 84k like their poster says.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Does anyone know if the A4 route is the same as last year? I seen this course on their facebook but it doesn't add up to 84k like their poster says.

The post also says there is a 9k run out and back from finish to the attached loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

The post also says there is a 9k run out and back from finish to the attached loop.

Oh sorry. Thought it was just out to the course as a neutralised zone. Was expecting a hil-top finish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Here is the full loop as per their facebook page for A4: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27061107

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Just read

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/mckenna-triumphs-in-hanlon-memorial-36743037.html

Great to see an article lead out with local cycling news first

While great, what is the independents obsession with putting pictures of mountain biking on their road racing coverage :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

had my ass handed to me yesterday. I really ought to know better at this stage, but it was a great few hours of pure suffering.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

How did Rowan get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

dahat wrote: »
    How did Rowan get on?

I wasn't racing yesterday so I must be careful in any judgement here- brilliant race route as always and I hope to get back next season.

I was situated at the top of the first 8km drag watching the groups pass- one chap from BallinasloeCC in A4 was already almost 1 minute ahead of the 100 rider peleton, head down and pedalling into the headwind alone.
    Headed then up to the highest point at Rossmore and as usual the races were in bits, riders well strung out. No sign of the early leader and didn't see him afterwards. As usual lots of DNFs but fair play to all who got round.

I remember racing against Eddie Dunbar about 4 years ago- he employed the same tactic in A3- attacking early on and he was never seen again; think he won by 5 minutes in the end. It is a good tactic if you gave that kind of ability. I certainly don't- in fact very few cyclists really do.

Madman whoever he was though a hilly A4 was a race to try get away if ever there was.

It looked a brute of a course and not one that would ever interest me!

MOD VOICE: A few posts deleted, most were fine but the first one was uncalled for, lets leave it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Bri981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

lennymc wrote: »
    had my ass handed to me yesterday. I really ought to know better at this stage, but it was a great few hours of pure suffering.. :)

I never returned to the Hanlon after the year I did half of it with you. Maybe it was a quarter. Maybe less. Never missed it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

JK.BMC wrote: »
    I remember racing against Eddie Dunbar about 4 years ago- he employed the same tactic in A3- attacking early on and he was never seen again; think he won by 5 minutes in the end. It is a good tactic if you gave that kind of ability. I certainly don't- in fact very few cyclists really do.

True, very few have Dunbar's talent and maybe such attacks are not often advised but on the other hand, i had a teammate in the past who raced like this. He failed again and again, year after year, until he didn't.

When he finally succeeded he won big, the Gorey 3 day overall. Race to your strengths, race smart too, but above all keep trying.

Sorry not trying to drag up a thread and what looks like what turned into an argument of some sort, just trying to encourage and be positive.

I came onleaps and bounds when I gave up trying to be smart and just went all out. Fitness jumped insanely. Didn't win anything for ages but eventually I was mixing with Scratch riders at HC races and holding for decent stretches.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I came onleaps and bounds when I gave up trying to be smart and just went all out. Fitness jumped insanely. Didn't win anything for ages but eventually I was mixing with Scratch riders at HC races and holding for decent stretches.

Nothing beats giving it a lash from a way out or early on, i'd rather have fun trying than sit in all day in a race where i've no realistic chance anyway.

Club leagues are so much fun in this respect and as Cram said this is where you improve for racing if that's your aim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Nothing beats giving it a lash from a way out or early on, i'd rather have fun trying than sit in all day in a race where i've no realistic chance anyway.

Club leagues are so much fun in this respect and as Cram said this is where you improve for racing if that's your aim.

Not to contradict Cram or yourself. I’d always have a go. It brought my fitness in as you guys said, but I never learned anything tactically except how to always give it a go! :)

How did Rowan get on?

Not great tbh. Started off well until yellow road (the main climb). I think my downfall was spending too long up the front. I moved back into the bunch after about 8k as I didn't want to waste too much energy and I was doing alright going up the climb until it started to flatten out. I wasn't able to follow the speed increase so I got dropped. I held with some of the groups that passed but ended up finishing about 20 min behind the main group. I do think doing these races with big elevation gains has helped me out though. I noticed how much easier it felt going up that climb for the first k. I'm in the ras an laois this weekend so it'll be good to get a break from these hills.

I feel the same way. No point sticking in a bunch doing nothing. No prizes for coming 30th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Stick with it. Keep riding. There is no shame in getting dropped, just make sure you learn why you got dropped and how to correct it for future races.

Plenty of great riders had fairly pedestrian starts to their careers, i would get this idea out of your head that you need to be winning every race yoy enter or calculating how much power to get in a break.

The most important thing for you is to keep racing and learning, just don't build them up so much or you risk becoming discouraged.

It's not about prizes if you're getting dropped on the hilliest races on the calendar. Finishing in the bunch is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I got dropped as an A4.
    I got dropped as an A3.
    I get dropped as an A2.

Getting dropped is part and parcel of the sport. Some days, and some courses, are just not suited to you!

The issue of being able to keep the power on when a climb eases is something I've seen a fair bit with some youth riders. There's a guy I would regularly have ridden with (top CX/off road rider, national champion, represented(s) Ireland, has done numerous stints abroad) and while he is a nightmare to keep with in the hills, for a long, long time once you needed the big power for the draggy bit, or riding a pace line, he was gone out the back. That kind of stuff will come with training, and age, as much as anything else.

I've had clubmates tell me I'm probably more of a sprinter/puncheur but can I change that to become a climber? I just like looking at those big hills and thinking of scenarios that will probably never happen that I don't get looking at a flat course. Theres no 10 minute long climbs around here (the nearest one is about 60k away) but is it worth it to cycle out that distance to get some hill reps in? It would be at least 6 hours in the saddle but seeming I'm off for Easter, would it be worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What else have you to do aside from gorging on chocolate?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

I've had clubmates tell me I'm probably more of a sprinter/puncheur but can I change that to become a climber? I just like looking at those big hills and thinking of scenarios that will probably never happen that I don't get looking at a flat course. Theres no 10 minute long climbs around here (the nearest one is about 60k away) but is it worth it to cycle out that distance to get some hill reps in? It would be at least 6 hours in the saddle but seeming I'm off for Easter, would it be worth it?

Hills are handy for long uninterrupted sessions but are no means required to become a good climber. Climbing is all about w/kg. The lighter you are and the more watts you can produce, the faster youll get up over climbs.

The only time ive ever looked to do some specific terrain is working on descending and bike handling. You might like climbing and the views you sometimes get but from a training standpoint a vo2 max session on the flat is the same as on a climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've had clubmates tell me I'm probably more of a sprinter/puncheur but can I change that to become a climber?
    It's far too early to be deciding what sort of rider you are, and it's easier to tell who isn't a sprinter than who is (unless you've beaten them in a sprint).

Ireland doesn't have big enough hills for pure climbers. As long as you're not obese, you can get over them with normal balanced training.

There's nowhere to hide in the Des Hanlon, unlike most other races. If you don't have the power, you'll get dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Lumen wrote: »
    It's far too early to be deciding what sort of rider you are, and it's easier to tell who isn't a sprinter than who is (unless you've beaten them in a sprint).

Ireland doesn't have big enough hills for pure climbers. As long as you're not obese, you can get over them with normal balanced training.

There's nowhere to hide in the Des Hanlon, unlike most other races. If you don't have the power, you'll get dropped.

Have to agree with this. Nearly all the climbs in Irish race scene are power climbs and most non-pure climbers just brute-force it to hang on. As you get more strength you will be able to hold the wheels up these climbs in races.

Trick is to mind your legs in a hilly races, especially if you are not a good climber. I know the Limerick lad who came third in A3 race in Des Hanlon - very experienced rider, he sat in the bunch for all three laps and only pushed it as they hit the top of the climb on the last lap. He got into a break of 7 riders and they mopped up the places from second back.

The other piece of advice is to see if you can measure your power output on a 5 minute climb. Divide this by your weight and then use some of the charts on the web that will tell you where you are at in terms of race category. Obviously you need to try and get an average figure - maybe do a series of five repeats. (You will also see why all PRO cyclists are consumed by weight watching.)

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/06/just-how-good-are-male-pro-road-cyclists/

boege wrote: »
    The other piece of advice is to see if you can measure your power output on a 5 minute climb.

Sadly, I don't have a power meter. Would borrowing a club mates smart trainer work or is there another workaround?

Advertisement