Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Cutting

Options
  • 21-03-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is it too early to start cutting lawn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Nope. I've cut mine twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Spotting the odd dandelion appearing in my own now, not quite ready to be cut yet where I am but almost and the ground here is dry enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

There’s plenty of lawns cut around here.mine not done yet.might do it next week.wouldnt cut it too short though just a tidy up.maybe take a third of the grass blade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Cut mine last week

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Not a hope for me. Everything is saturated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not a hope for me. Everything is saturated.

Same here.

Where ground is wet or the soil temperature remains low it is not generally advised afaik. In those conditions its better to hold off for better conditions and for rise in soil temperatures so that the grass can get a good start to regrow properly. There been a lot of damage done to grass this year due to the amount of rain snow and very low temperatures imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lorddec

Thanks for replies didn't get chance to reply just outside all day cutting Grass!! And tidying up, just took small bit off grass but really makes and cleans place up after long winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I've had my automower out since the third week of January .. gave it a break during the snow and the grass looks great now. Its the first season I've had the automower from the start and it was great not to have to worry about the ground being too wet to cut when it needed it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lorddec

whippet wrote: »
    I've had my automower out since the third week of January .. gave it a break during the snow and the grass looks great now. Its the first season I've had the automower from the start and it was great not to have to worry about the ground being too wet to cut when it needed it

How big an area are you cutting with automower and is cutting area all one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

There’s plenty of lawns cut around here.mine not done yet.might do it next week.wouldnt cut it too short though just a tidy up.maybe take a third of the grass blade

Sure you should never take more than that in one go anyway.
    Mine was cut between the 2 snows and is grand. You can cut all winter long once the grass is growing and the ground isn't too soggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

lorddec wrote: »
    How big an area are you cutting with automower and is cutting area all one piece.

I’ve 1800sqm of grass .. the automower gets to each part at least once a day and it set to cut for about 12 hours a day at the moment and has it level at 3cm

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

whippet wrote: »

Sounds great - unfortunately it would probably sink here atm or get eaten by something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

pawrick wrote: »
    Spotting the odd dandelion appearing in my own now, not quite ready to be cut yet where I am but almost and the ground here is dry enough.

dandelions are the only food for bees at this time of year so if you can lay off the lawn cutting for a couple of weeks so they have something to eat !

Advertisement