Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patrick's Weekend

• 21-03-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I must say the fireworks were excellent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I agree! It was so cold though!
    Pity everyone left straight after and didn't stay for the Dolores Tribute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Didnt even know there was a Dolores tribute on after it.. I did hear some Cranberries songs as we were walking away..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As soon as the fireworks finish, people always leave as quickly as possible. The organisers should have known people will think the fireworks are the climax and put the tribute on before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Put this in the random waffle thread but credit where it's due to Limerick Arts office, it was a spectacular show on Sunday evening. The projections onto the castle were awesome. I wonder why the closed off thomond bridge as a viewing area though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Pity about the carry-on around the Milk Market that evening though. Gangs of teenagers attacking people. The bouncers in the area were warning people on social media to be extra vigilant and to avoid the area if on your own.

Where the hell were the Gardai!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

panda100 wrote: »
    Put this in the random waffle thread but credit where it's due to Limerick Arts office, it was a spectacular show on Sunday evening. The projections onto the castle were awesome. I wonder why the closed off thomond bridge as a viewing area though?

I wasnt sure about this either but a few of us surmised that it was probably down to viewing angles for the projections as the sarsfield bridge wasn't blocked ...seemed a bit strange , was anything being projected from there ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Where the hell were the Gardai!

I didn't see or hear about much about crap going on but I saw the Guards accosting some youths not long after the display across from Arthurs Quay

The whole St Patricks weekend thing could really be built upon i think.. Forget new years and go all out for paddys weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

was away most of last weekend but went in for the projection/fireworks display. I though it was poor enough to be honest. other than a sponsored FB post and the odd reference from the leader or live 95 there was very little details available. It was widely publicised - but no retail detail available. even limerick.ie had 8 events on the website that mentioned it but there was no details on what to expect. I was hoping for some well planned event but as it turned out it was 10 minutes of a projection display, less than 10 minutes of fireworks and 5 minutes of a Dolores tribute.

the projection was fairly basic, but good for a first attempt considering it was a local production rather than a production company hired in - I hope they build on this. i though it was fairly poor that they only played the video once. for the first 10 mins people were still walking down to the castle - so a lot of people missed it. did they not think to press play again after the fireworks or tribute?

seriously, none of what went on was cheap, it would of cost a few thousand to rent the projectors and I don't even want to guess how much the fireworks cost. thousands of people gathered for this and left even before it was over - this is not the sign of a successful event. there was very little atmosphere - a very lame cheer at the end. I know it was cold, there are plenty of cities that can put on events (in cold weather or otherwise) and create an atmosphere. these sort of events should bring people together but it felt impersonal, like I was watching it at home on tv.

if the council run this again they should consider a longer build up and maybe some street entertainers to line the banks, anything to create an atmosphere and maybe convince some people to arrive early or hang around after and enjoy it.

mdmix wrote: »
    was away most of last weekend but went in for the projection/fireworks display. I though it was poor enough to be honest. other than a sponsored FB post and the odd reference from the leader or live 95 there was very little details available. It was widely publicised - but no retail detail available. even limerick.ie had 8 events on the website that mentioned it but there was no details on what to expect. I was hoping for some well planned event but as it turned out it was 10 minutes of a projection display, less than 10 minutes of fireworks and 5 minutes of a Dolores tribute.

the projection was fairly basic, but good for a first attempt considering it was a local production rather than a production company hired in - I hope they build on this. i though it was fairly poor that they only played the video once. for the first 10 mins people were still walking down to the castle - so a lot of people missed it. did they not think to press play again after the fireworks or tribute?

seriously, none of what went on was cheap, it would of cost a few thousand to rent the projectors and I don't even want to guess how much the fireworks cost. thousands of people gathered for this and left even before it was over - this is not the sign of a successful event. there was very little atmosphere - a very lame cheer at the end. I know it was cold, there are plenty of cities that can put on events (in cold weather or otherwise) and create an atmosphere. these sort of events should bring people together but it felt impersonal, like I was watching it at home on tv.

if the council run this again they should consider a longer build up and maybe some street entertainers to line the banks, anything to create an atmosphere and maybe convince some people to arrive early or hang around after and enjoy it.

For what it was we enjoyed it. Felt like the fireworks were long enough really felt at least if not more than 10 mins.

They should have closed off clancy strand or somewhere and put on one of those street markets during the day so you could go there after the parade.

Even a live broadcast from spin or live 95 in the area to keep the buzz going throughout the day/evening. And yes local street performers would have been good. Maybe a local artist performing live, get the make a move crew to put something on, open up the castle put something on in there. There is loads we could do. Maybe something on in thomond park.

Loads of potential.

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    For what it was we enjoyed it. Felt like the fireworks were long enough really felt at least if not more than 10 mins.

They should have closed off clancy strand or somewhere and put on one of those street markets during the day so you could go there after the parade.

Even a live broadcast from spin or live 95 in the area to keep the buzz going throughout the day/evening. And yes local street performers would have been good. Maybe a local artist performing live, get the make a move crew to put something on, open up the castle put something on in there. There is loads we could do. Maybe something on in thomond park.

I thought the fireworks were on long enough myself.

There was actually a lovely event on the river run by Croi Glas an hour or so before the fireworks. It was poorly advertised so didn't get much attendance. There was a uilleann piper playing on a boat with two beautiful singers on either side of the river. The music with the back drop of the castle was magical and shows how much potential there is for events in and around the river. Of course they had to ruin it all though by having one of those annoying jetboarders flying around the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

panda100 wrote: »
    I thought the fireworks were on long enough myself.

There was actually a lovely event on the river run by Croi Glas an hour or so before the fireworks. It was poorly advertised so didn't get much attendance. There was a uilleann piper playing on a boat with two beautiful singers on either side of the river. The music with the back drop of the castle was magical and shows how much potential there is for events in and around the river. Of course they had to ruin it all though by having one of those annoying jetboarders flying around the place though.

I saw that was on and would have liked to go along if i was in limerick earlier. I don’t know if this event had anything to do with the council (although if they got a pointless jetboarder then maybe it was council led) but it’s a shame they could not have worked together to bring people out. I could be wrong, but I don’t think many people knew of the croi glas event. I don’t know who is responsible for planning events in the council, but they could have done a better job. The fireworks were great but that’s just a mattter of making a call and writing a Cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

mdmix wrote: »
    I saw that was on and would have liked to go along if i was in limerick earlier. I don’t know if this event had anything to do with the council (although if they got a pointless jetboarder then maybe it was council led) but it’s a shame they could not have worked together to bring people out. I could be wrong, but I don’t think many people knew of the croi glas event. I don’t know who is responsible for planning events in the council, but they could have done a better job. The fireworks were great but that’s just a mattter of making a call and writing a Cheque.

The problem is that funding for these kinds of events come on the premise of bed nights, or how many people will you attract to the city...this in my opinion is flawed....

But there is nothing stopping the people of this city creating their own events/traditions...like the pipe band that play at St Marys Cathedral every new years...

I really enjoy the Bands Parade, it is unique to Limerick, and it celebrates a very important part of our local culture, a reflection of the deep military history
    of this ancient city...I think it should be a weekend of Marching Bands events, they don't have to be huge....just important....

Imagine a Limerick Pipe Band playing this melody at the Treaty Stone on the Friday evening of the St Patricks day parade...other bands could play in other locations around the city over the weekend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2YPsfwSPGg - It is called A Lament for Limerick, it was used as the theme for Millers Crossing....a very old poignant piece of music...

This wouldn't cost money, perhaps bands could use it as a weekend of fundraising....

We need to think differently about how we celebrate our culture....it shouldn't be about packing hotels or getting people pissed....

Imagine a Limerick Pipe Band playing this melody at the Treaty Stone on the Friday evening of the St Patricks day parade...other bands could play in other locations around the city over the weekend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2YPsfwSPGg - It is called A Lament for Limerick, it was used as the theme for Millers Crossing....a very old poignant piece of music...

That sounds magical and as you said wouldn't be all that difficult to put on. I think all the cultural events in Limerick have got really stale since I moved back here 5 years ago. St Patricks Day is the same every year, so the fireworks were a welcome addition this year. Riverfest will probably be the same as it is for the last few years with the aforementioned dreaded jet-boarders bringing 'spectacle' to the river :rolleyes: In fairness to Limerick Arts Office I think since the failed 2020 bid they are pretty open to trying new things and I guess its up to us all to suggest or start the sort of cultural activities we want to see in Limerick.

Advertisement