Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie PC gaming build

Options
  • 21-03-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 27 yoursister

Hello, basically I'm completely new to this and have always had consoles rather than a PC but want to move into PC gaming.

Love the idea of been able to build it myself and upgrade pieces as time goes on but need some help in selecting the hardware! Any help greatly appreciated.

1. What is your budget? 700/800. This is flexible.

2. What will be the main purpose of the Pc? Gaming, fortnite, far cry, gta. I don't want a game to come out this year or next and not be able to play it.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Nope

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 22" or bigger

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? I have nothing so yes!

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Perhaps

8. How can you pay? Cash money or card

9. When are you purchasing? Next month or 2

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Basically a Good-tier build (Ryzen 5 1400/1500x, B350 motherboard, GTX 1050 Ti, 8Gb DDR4) unless you buy used parts/find bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

7/800 including keyboard mouse and monitor is going to be a tight build in the current RAM and GPU market.

Especially if you want to "future proof" your build for the coming years a decent enough GPU is going to set you back.

As mentioned above a ryzen 3 or 5 with a decent B350 mother board will give you a good CPU that you can overclock and easily upgrade the CPU in the future if required.

A 1050ti would be a good bet or a used GTX 970/980 if you can afford it. Should be enough for GTAV at 1080p, but I don't know about the new Far Cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That middle one is by far the best, though that last one is bad. FM2 chipset, dead-end platform and even the fastest CPU is blisteringly slow.

I think Ryzen 1400 + GTX1050Ti build is a solid bet. Don't know how intensive FC5 is gonna be but Fortnite and GTA V would easily run at ultra 1080p on such a setup.

2nd hand wise I see you're in Galway, something like this would be good, comes with a 22" monitor - he's had almost no offers so you might get a deal on something like €550-600 for the full setup, PC + Monitor (i5-4690K + GTX780)

Also these days buying pre-built is almost cheaper than building in many cases. Like this is a lot better than Ryzen 1200 + GTX1050Ti for example.

This is also an excellent PC for the money and similar to the one above performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Dell have an inspiron gaming desktop for 600 at the moment on their website

• Advertisement

Good deal with free delivery considering it's actually a great looking case too, though the RX560 is considerably weaker than a GTX1050, let alone a GTX1050Ti, would be on the very lower end of the scale for new games like Far Cry 5 - doubt it would do anything other than 1080p low settings @ 60fps.

But still, entirely upgradable and as it is definitely good for GTA V and Fortnite at good settings.

They have one for €950 delivered that's a Ryzen 1400 and RX570 with a 24" monitor - that's a pretty good deal and head and shoulders ahead of the Ryzen 1200 + RX560, literally twice as fast. Considering it comes with a monitor, better CPU and radically better GPU, €350 extra isn't bad at all.

That is seriously good value for 499.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 yoursister

https://touch.adverts.ie/desktops/i7-16gb-ram-1tb-hd-win10-gaming-machine/15089562

Thoughts on this? Is it a good set up for the money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

yoursister wrote: »

No, no model on the CPU but i7 and a 6 year old GPU leads me to think it's probably a 2600k, which would be okay for older games but would need upgrading for newer multiplayer games. The GPU wouldn't be worth a piss and would definitely need to be upgraded if you wanted to play anything from the past 3-4 years at 1080p Medium.

No model or manufacturer for the PSU either, which is never a good sign.

I generally see vague ads like this as a dishonest seller who knows he's trying to make a quick euro. Have a look at TerrorFirmers ads and see if he's got anything in your price range, he would be a trustworthy seller imo.

*Edit* Sorry thought this was the other thread, the previously mentioned Lenovo would be far far faster in games

Honestly that Lenovo is still active for €499. i3-7100, 8GB DDR4 + GTX1050Ti 4GB for €499. You will not do better than that for a decent new PC.

That PC in the ad is an i7-875K with HD7870. Not the worst but very old (CPU is from 2009) and it wouldn't really be any faster than the Lenovo above, while being way less upgradable.

Typically on adverts you have to price stuff a lot higher than what you'd actually accept. You would not believe the messing that goes on there from people who have nothing better to do than waste peoples time.

If I'm trying to sell an i5-3570/GTX1050 combo for €380 you have to price it at about €480 to start to try and stop some of the inevitable "offer 205 if you can meet 100km away" and "would u swap for a ps4 with no controller" type comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that pc in your signature, I'll give you €100 and a poster of Thelma Mansfield

Advertisement