Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barkley Marathons 2018

Options
  • 21-03-2018 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

As one of our own is heading to Atlanta this morning to take on the Barkley Marathons, I thought we could have a thread to keep all the info. on the race and Eoins progress together but mods, feel free to move or merge of there's already a thread I haven't spotted.

The race starts some time on Aprils fools day and one hour after Laz lights his cigarette and blows the conch shell.

Our super endurance athlete Enduro is winging his way to take on the Barkley Marathons. If you've never heard of this race, check out the documentary on Netflix or this feature length movie.

Eoin popped a post up on his blog here about his preparation for the race.

Hopefully we'll get some updates on Eoins FB page here.

Outsider magazine popped up an interview that they did with Eoin yesterday here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭al87987

Only watched the documentary last night.

All credit to him, I just hope he's not this years sacrificial lamb.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I reckon the race starts this weekend. Else a lot of people going over very very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Djoucer wrote: »
    I reckon the race starts this weekend. Else a lot of people going over very very early.

I wondered why people were going so early and the only reference to April 1st I've seen is on Enduros blog but it's only a reference as he says
    "As time marches forward towards the traditional Barkley date of April 1st (Yes, fool’s day) the clock is ticking ever more loudly and the level of terror is rising with it!"

.... you're probably quite right about it being on this weekend.

Gary Robbins started his taper on March 8th for this year's race.

Last year he started taper on March 15th for April 1st start.

Both roughly 2 weeks of taper.

Yup, it's this weekend. Few French athletes have said this weekend along with Billy Yang podcast.

Let the dot watching....let the barrier waiting begin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

al87987 wrote: »
    All credit to him, I just hope he's not this years sacrificial lamb.

Best of luck.

Usually it's a Crossfit/Marine/Seal/Fitspo type they select for this rather than an ultra runner with a distinguished background

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Usually it's a Crossfit/Marine/Seal/Fitspo type they select for this rather than an ultra runner with a distinguished background
    They deemed Enduro to be in the crazy category

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

It'll be fascinating to hear how he gets on. Is he the first Irishman to do it? Surely the first from boards :)

You'd imagine he'd be somewhat competitive, then again the standard and DNF rate are both insanely high, so who knows. Maybe there'll be an open-top bus down O'Connell St. if he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I'll be interested to read his nutrition plan- I'm thinking 2 sips of water and a hand full of trail mix:D

This mornings 10 o clock reading with your cup of coffee is a new Blog post from Eoin here

"Preparing for Barkley (Striving for Optimal Idiocy)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

This looks like some challenge! Will be following with interest. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

And then there’s Barkley. A race that needs no videos to psych people out! This is the first running race that I’ve entered that intimidates me.

I like the number plate too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Thanks for posting this, I have subscribed.
    To get selected is an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Neady83 wrote: »
    This mornings 10 o clock reading with your cup of coffee is a new Blog post from Eoin here

"Preparing for Barkley (Striving for Optimal Idiocy)"

What a great blog post, I enjoyed reading it this morning and have been following Eoin on facebook, it is great to have one of our own taking on The Barkley

Exciting stuff and I love his number plate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just watched the Netflix documentary last night - an amazing event, what a challenge to take on. Looking forward to reading his blog over the next few days.

I followed Gary Robbins on youtube last year before his Barley attempt poor guy took a wrong turn and missed the cut off by 6 seconds! worth watching on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgaW6F59tU

Seen the update on Facebook this morning, looks like it is very cold over there, here's hoping all the snow here has Eoin well prepared

As well as Enduros entourage giving us updates, Canadian Running Magazine seem to be broadcasting live videos also. You can find their facebook page here.

As well as Enduros entourage giving us updates, Canadian Running Magazine seem to be broadcasting live videos also. You can find their facebook page here.

Excellent thanks, Neady, I am going to check that out :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    I followed Gary Robbins on youtube last year before his Barley attempt poor guy took a wrong turn and missed the cut off by 6 seconds! worth watching on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMgaW6F59tU

He would've been disqualified if he got under the time limit.

He went the wrong way and cut 2 miles off the course.

The 6 seconds thing has since become a bit of a myth.

Facebook says that the Conch was blown about 48 minutes ago ...... it's almost time!!!

I'm only a little bit excited :)

Edit: maybe it was a pretend conch. I wish I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I can't warm to Robbins at all... I am not sure why tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Enduro better not come home with a beard....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hopefully we'll get some updates on Eoins FB page here.

Bottle of Jameson has made its way to Tennessee. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Facebook says that the Conch was blown about 48 minutes ago ...... it's almost time!!!

I'm only a little bit excited :)

Edit: maybe it was a pretend conch. I wish I was there.

That was the fake one.

Was blown 8:33 am...not long now

That was the fake one.

Was blown 8:33 am...not long now

Eeek so exciting !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Will have just started a few mins ago! Really exciting! Hope the weather doesn’t get too bad.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Will have just started a few mins ago! Really exciting! Hope the weather doesn’t get too bad.

The forecast is crap :eek: their poor feet will be in ribbons

They are away!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

mloc123 wrote: »
    I can't warm to Robbins at all... I am not sure why tho.

Many, many years ago, long before anyone knew him, he did an FKT on some Canadian trail, before FKTs were even a thing, and for some reason I left him a message and he responded straight away and we ended up chatting for a while.

He's a genuinely nice guy without any airs about him, and an excellent ultra runner to boot. On top of that, his reaction at the end of last year's Barkley was top class, immediately telling where he had taken a wrong turn without even anyone asking questions, never pretending to have finished. I have tons of time for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadianRunning/status/977558270134161408/video/1

Everybody covered head to toe with multiple layers, then there's one lad in shorts and t-shirt.

Advertisement