Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barkley Marathons 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Update two hours ago on Eoins FB page
    Out at Rat Jaw.. Gary Jamille in lead... em we are hearing Eoin may have dropped his compass... I'm at halfway..so waiting to see if he has managed to pair with someone..

Nooooooo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Many, many years ago, long before anyone knew him, he did an FKT on some Canadian trail, before FKTs were even a thing, and for some reason I left him a message and he responded straight away and we ended up chatting for a while.

He's a genuinely nice guy without any airs about him, and an excellent ultra runner to boot. On top of that, his reaction at the end of last year's Barkley was top class, immediately telling where he had taken a wrong turn without even anyone asking questions, never pretending to have finished. I have tons of time for him.

I could not agree more, I have followed him a long time and like him, he runs the Squamish 50/50 and makes sure he is at the finish to welcome every competitor across the finish line.

I saw an update on FB any new's if Eoin did really lose his compass :eek:

Neady83 wrote: »
    Update two hours ago on Eoins FB page

Nooooooo!!!!

Oh no, I hope that is not true, or he has someone to keep him company back down so he can get a spare one

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Gary Robbins already out on loop 2, just 7 mins rest!!
    No word on Eoin yet

Update on facebook Eoin got another compass but weather conditions are very bad

Bloomin' heck!

https://twitter.com/keithdunn/status/977887307389915136

Gary Robbins has finished loop 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Time limits
    1 loop 13:20
    2 loops 26:40
    3 loops 36:00
    Cut off for loop 3 40:00 for it to count as a "fun run".

Currently 11 runners on loop 2 and 3 on loop 3.

My bad maths make it
    Race began at 9:33 a.m. EDT (1:33 p.m. Irish time)
    Loop 2 cut off to start is 12:13 p.m (5:13 p.m Irish time)
    Loop 3 cut off to start is 10:13 p.m (to be allowed to do loop 4) (3:13 a.m. Irish time)
    Loop 3 to count is if doing "fun run" (3 laps) 2:13 a.m. (7:13 a.m. Irish time)

Last update on FB

"
    It's 9:45. We need Eoin in and out for 12:13 exactly... the feeling here is noone will finish this year as the 3 leaders head out on loop 3. Lastnight was a total whiteout.. visibility had people questioning if they were going up or down. Occasionally the lightning would light up the fog but not often enough."

1st,2nd,3rd on loop 3
    Gary
    Ally
    Guillaume

• Advertisement

10 mins ago
    "Johan now in, 4th. Looking good, very hungry, says he got horribly confused out there. Says, ‘it's the bad weather causing me to make the most simple of mistakes...The lightening did help. But when the weather is so bad u can't even track back your steps.’

At the finish line it has just been discussed Jamille is lost, never made it to the tower.

Eoin and Johan were an hour apart.. so now I'm hopeful he will appear soon. 1hr 4 minutes and counting...."

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

There was bit of argy bargy on Twitter yesterday evening re people expecting updates, and that it's a race about runners, not the spectators. That settled down, afaik. I was a little surprised at the amount of people with cameras at the gate in some of the pics yesterday, presume most are family or crew. Anyway.

https://twitter.com/warrenswords/status/977931674012012549

twitter
    Valery finishes loop 2 in 26:26:26, doesn't want to go back out. Crew have 13 mins to convince him. he went back out. Now only 5 mins to cut off for fun run.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think the cut off has passed and 9 runners still out on loop 2 will be tapped out upon return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hurrache wrote: »
    I think the cut off has passed and 9 runners still out on loop 2 will be tapped out upon return.

Why would only two be tapped out if all 9 missed the cut-off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The 2 is as in loop 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Hurrache wrote: »
    The 2 is as in loop 2.

Cheers, read it again and have no idea why I was confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Quote from twitter:

One of recent DNFs reports that, of the 7 left on loop 2, one pair are working together to collect all pages no matter how long it takes. Could be here within an hour or two. The other 5 are in one big group, intentions and ETA unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Enduro has just arrived. All we can wait for now is the story

What a brutal race! any word on Jamil is he still lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Baby75 wrote: »
    What a brutal race! any word on Jamil is he still lost[/quote

Arrived back with Eoin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

https://twitter.com/keithdunn/status/977994892248051713

'Eoin Keith, @ameliaboone, @JamilCoury, Maggie, and John Burton complete loop two hours over the time limit. #BM100'

Thanks for the update! What a race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

"So Eoin has broken his right shoulder but he says it was fantastic.. knowing they weren't going to make it meant he could enjoy it more ... crazy man!!

So they completed loop 2 all the pages. Eoin and Maggie picked up Emilia and John and then they found Jamille who treated them to a Barkley tour "

wow just wow :) sounds like they had great fun in the end! even with an injury

Baby75 wrote: »
    wow just wow :) sounds like they had great fun in the end! even with an injury
    Broken since book 2 but kept going according to twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Shame it in ended with a broken shoulder but what an amazing attitude!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Shame it in ended with a broken shoulder but what an amazing attitude!
    Not really ended as he did most of two loops with it. Probably held him back a bit though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

What an unbelievable performance from Eoin, he showed true grit.

Was chatting to a friend about it this morning and we both agreed that while we know from the stats and the documentaries that the Barkley Marathon is "the race the eats it's young" ... Eoins performance would show us just what a ridiculously insane race this really is. Very much looking forward to the race report.

Advertisement