Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a newbie

Options
  • 21-03-2018 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi
    I have zero background in coding etc but after 5 years of trying to decide what to do with my life now my youngest is starting school and after completing a 5 day coding taster course I've decided that this is what I should study.
    I'm enrolling in a local course in September and I've been doing a few online free courses to get a bit of a head start so I'm not going into it completely blind.
    My question is where do I download html css and javascript. That's all I want to concentrate on for now. But I'm really not sure how I know a reliable source and how much should I be paying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Hi
    I have zero background in coding etc but after 5 years of trying to decide what to do with my life now my youngest is starting school and after completing a 5 day coding taster course I've decided that this is what I should study.
    I'm enrolling in a local course in September and I've been doing a few online free courses to get a bit of a head start so I'm not going into it completely blind.
    My question is where do I download html css and javascript. That's all I want to concentrate on for now. But I'm really not sure how I know a reliable source and how much should I be paying?

you just did download html css and javascript,

you shouldn't be paying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

While that last response is accurate, it certainly didn't offer much help. Every web page contains HTML and CSS (and probably JavaScript), so you download it every time you view a web page.

I presume you mean you want to learn HTML & CSS, so I'd suggest one of the many free courses available online. They are excellent - you do NOT need to pay anything for them.

Here's a page that lists a few places: https://www.thebalance.com/best-places-to-learn-basic-html-online-2071402

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Have a look at https://www.codecademy.com. There are courses of all levels for many languages there. You shouldn't have to pay a cent to learn programming - there are tons of online resources.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

One of the best ways to learn is by doing it. You could try Eclipse or Visual Studio as an IDE. You can follow along with examples you find online through Code Academy.

You can find plenty of other examples online. Do some googling and find code examples, see how it works and write your own code.

Advertisement