Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 21-03-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at running a 6sq twin and earth cable out to my shed in the back garden (using Kopex as trunking), only problem is the house fuse board is on the opposite side of the house from the new shed and is ridiculously difficult to get near.

As a consequence, I would like to take a spur connection off the shower cable in the attic (cable is also 6sq). This connection is on it's own 32amp breaker and if I took the feed from that, it would save me an enormous amount of hassle and expense.

I'm just wondering if this is ok to do? I would obviously wire in parallel and the shed outside will also have it's own breaker and RCD on the feed too.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Prep

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not a good idea for a number of reasons.
    As with many things the right way is often difficult.

Don't take chances, statistically the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house.

How are you getting a power supply to the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As a consequence, I would like to take a spur connection off the shower cable in the attic (cable is also 6sq). This connection is on it's own 32amp breaker and if I took the feed from that, it would save me an enormous amount of hassle and expense.

The shower has to have its own dedicated supply. Technically you can't even connect a bathroom fan to the line. The 32 amp trip switch may need to be updated to a 40 amp rcbo. I'd get the electrician to check this too while he's there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I am looking at running a 6sq twin and earth cable out to my shed

Apologies PreparationH, I read the above as "I am looking at running a 6sq earth cable out to my shed"

This is why I said "How are you getting a power supply to the shed?" in my earlier post :)

However this doesn't change my advice i.e. don't do it.
    It just means that your proposal is worse that I originally thought :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PreparationH

I agree, the bathroom is dangerous, however, my plan is to take a spur connection off the feed to the shower long before the cable even gets to the bathroom. That way I can avoid going anywhere near the bathroom connections.

The wire will go from the attic, out through the wall into Kopex tubing, then cable tied down the down pipe, clipped to the side wall and buried 12 inches under the grass and across to the shed, a drain pipe will give access to the cables inside via the foundations.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The shower has to have its own dedicated supply. Technically you can't even connect a bathroom fan to the line. The 32 amp trip switch may need to be updated to a 40 amp rcbo. I'd get the electrician to check this too while he's there.

That's the problem, finding an electrician that's willing to even look at this is like finding a chickens tooth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I agree, the bathroom is dangerous, however, my plan is to take a spur connection off the feed to the shower long before the cable even gets to the bathroom. That way I can avoid going anywhere near the bathroom connections.

This is illegal and dangerous. Your shower has to have a dedicated supply from the fuse box to the shower. No spurs or junction boxes.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This is illegal and dangerous. Your shower has to have a dedicated supply from the fuse box to the shower. No spurs or junction boxes.

Damn... well that's that up the swannie. Well thanks for the help, at least I haven't done anything that will have voided my house insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is your fuse box in the hall? If it’s a two story house the spark will probably only have to install mini trunking in the corner of 1 bedroom to get the supply cable back to the board from the attic. He can follow your route from there then.

Advertisement