Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you were planting seeds indoor now...

Options
  • 21-03-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭

what could you plant now for planting out in a suburban garden later this May/June?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

wait4me wrote: »
    what could you plant now for planting out in a suburban garden later this May/June?

I have Zinna, Dwarf Aster and Sea Lavender growing on my window sill at the moment that I sowed on 10th of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What kind of planting solution you have in the garden ? Is it a greenhouse or a polytunnel ?
    Are they flowers or vegetables ?

Some plants , vegetables, dont like the transplanting from the indoors plastic cells / soil to the outside ground based soil.
    Is a thermal shock for their roots ,also you can damage the roots in the process.

Some plants (talking here purely vegetables) cannot be planted in containers and moved outside due to their structure.

I have beans, tomato, cucumbers, courgettes, radish, beetroot and some exotic few (watermelon and mellon).
    I am using staged planting and moving so that I can have a constant supply of seeds to small plants then producing plants and regenerative plants in the back...

I advise to check the plant first ,do it in small containers with the appropriate type of compost.
    Once they are growing ,you will need to move one plant per cell.
    Once they are big enough and / or at the second stage of growth, i highly advise to move in to biodegradable pots, that will deal and reduce the moving shock.

With the weather this year,i guesstimate that my plants will be out by the second week of April.

Not lastly, if I can suggest to plant some lovely flowers that will attract and make the bees happy...we will need them !

Have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

More looking at vegetables - starting lettuce, broad beans, peas and beetroots tonight. roion: I Have some sweetpeas to get some colour as well as keeping the bees happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have limanthus up and planted nasturtiums . Next week will add a variety of flowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Great,happy and busy !

One thing to take in consideration is the time it takes for the seed(s) to get to a stage where you are been practical forced to transplant it outside.
    Mine are growing maybe too big and too fast this time, due to the warmer house (was colder outside,heat up inside) but i am nowhere ready to move them outside, as im risking to compromise the plant's health.

• Advertisement
Advertisement