Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing home Laptop

Options
  • 21-03-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone had any up to date information on buying a laptop in Canada and bringing it back home to Ireland.

I have a friend that is heading over to Toronto in May and the laptop I was considering getting will be about €500 cheaper over there.

Anyone have any experience on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

If he physically brings it home himself in luggage or carry-on there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

jme2010 wrote: »
    If he physically brings it home himself in luggage or carry-on there is no issue.

That was the plan, the saving is just too good to pass up.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

ace_irl wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if anyone had any up to date information on buying a laptop in Canada and bringing it back home to Ireland.

I have a friend that is heading over to Toronto in May and the laptop I was considering getting will be about €500 cheaper over there.

I went straight to the apple store after arriving !:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Doylers wrote: »

If I was going myself, it would be my first stop too! :D

Doylers wrote: »

If I was going myself, it would be my first stop too! :D
    Stop! I got my credit card bill Friday and I refuse to open it for fear of the damage I did haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

General question, is it better to unpack the item and remove all packaging/labelling in case customs decides to have a snoop around?

General question, is it better to unpack the item and remove all packaging/labelling in case customs decides to have a snoop around?
    I didn't bring the box back, there is a risk(I think). But again not a sole stopped me in Dublin I was off the plane and on the air-coach in 4 minutes flat

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭WATPOAE

I bought a Macbook Air back in 2011 in Toronto and saved a fortune. Unpacked it and brought it as hand luggage on way home, no issues. When you're saving that much money on it its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Just don't forget to add on tax (13% in ON) and currency conversion fees (usually around 2-2.75%).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

They wont even say a word as long as its carry on

• Advertisement
Advertisement