Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sea of Thieves (basically piracy thread)

• 21-03-2018 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Out yesterday on Xbox app only (get the 14 day trial for Game pass to play before buying).

Its not bad played an hour (before it went down due to paunch issues) and its seems fun with a few others. Does seem kinda bare and without some more "things to do" could get old really fast.

Another Pirate coop game with launch issues is Salt which is good but has some Early Access issues, which may or may not be fixed.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327860/

There needs to be more coop pirate games.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

What would be the main issues with Salt?

Just had a look at it there and it looks good. Only €15 on steam too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No piracy allowed he...oh right, nevermind :pac:

I liked the look of some of the trailers, but it's getting slated online for being incredibly shallow. Apparently it can be fun for a few hours with friends, but quickly becomes extremely repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Kiith wrote: »
    No piracy allowed he...oh right, nevermind :pac:

I liked the look of some of the trailers, but it's getting slated online for being incredibly shallow. Apparently it can be fun for a few hours with friends, but quickly becomes extremely repetitive.

I'm playing it solo and it's fun. But like, there's very little to do solo. It's pick up a map, go dig up a chest. Return to where you got the map and sell the chest. That seems to be the loop.

I'm sure with a group of friends it'll be more fun, but none of my friends picked it up. I'm having a fun time solo though, doubt I'll play it for more than a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

got it myself. it is what you make it
    solo/sloop will get boring however with 3/4 in the galleon the fun is with those you play with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Things I did tonight in 2 player Sloop.

Navy Seal`d a galleon with 4 players stole their chests and sold them.
    Navy seal`d a galleon with a gunpowder barrel and tried to hold them hostage, didnt work but nearly did:D
    Drove our boat past a parked sloop and both jumped off leaving our boat to sail off, waited on the ship for the owners to come back. Killed them stole their ship and sold their loot.
    As we were cashing in our loot we killed 2 others and stole theirs, then got on their ship aimed it at rocks and sunk it.

It is fun but dont see it lasting unless they add something interesting, PVP is fun we started a war at the Skull thing between 3 galleons then left them to it.
    EoinHef wrote: »
    What would be the main issues with Salt?

Just had a look at it there and it looks good. Only €15 on steam too.

It has to be played in Coop, cant drive the boat on your own once you get the bigger one. It has more to do that SOT but needs some more details, the crafting system is very fiddly, I will play that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Playing mostly Solo.

Any time I try galleon the other 3 it puts me with don't know what they're doing, and I mean at all they just run about and jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thought this was a free to play game for some reason, maybe the art style or the cosmetics. They may have made more money that way, just look at Fortnite

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Started playing last night - it's fun. My friends locked me up in the cell, and drank grog until they vomited all over me while I played the accordion. Jolly good time. Would get vomited on again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's Windows 10 only, yea? I'm still on 8 and not gonna be upgrading anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CAD$80 with in-app purchases. To hell with that!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/21/xbox-ones-sea-of-thieves-is-no-more-than-10-of-a-finished-game/#57a3aa3026be
    we will release new cosmetic options ongoing as part of that, alongside new mechanics and ways to play. Our focus for launch is on delivering a great initial experience, and as we move beyond launch we will be assessing and reacting to player feedback across all areas of the game

So they've released an unfinished game that they'll add more stuff depending on how much we complain? TBH, I'll wait a month, and come back to it to see if it's nearly finished yet. That is, if it's not dead in a month since there's not enough of a game to keep playing.

• Advertisement

That article is a load of bs.

Only part approaching reality is about the matchmaking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Another over hyped game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

For years I've been awaiting a pirate game that would fulfill the gap left in my heart by Bethesda's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' from back in 2003. Such a great game.

I was hoping this could come close, but it's not looking like it. Early reviews are mixed/average.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's got a lot of potential in that the core mechanics are great but they've taken the "make your own fun" angle too far in that there's sweet **** all to do.

It's all very well aiming to keep the game alive with free updates funded by the in game purchases but they needed the game to be a hit on launch so they'll still have an audience down the line for those updates. I don't think abandoning the game and bringing out a Battle Royale mode like Fortnite did is an option here.

There's no micro transactions yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    There's no micro transactions yet.

I think they're coming soon in an update. I have no problem with them being in the game at all though provided there's decent updates off the back of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Going to stay away from this for a while, cheapest I see it is at 55 euro. No way.
    I like these guys you tube before you buy channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KonFusion wrote: »
    For years I've been awaiting a pirate game that would fulfill the gap left in my heart by Bethesda's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' from back in 2003. Such a great game.
    Ever play Black Wake? http://store.steampowered.com/app/420290/Blackwake/
    Great with a crew that you know on comms.
    Glebee wrote: »
    Going to stay away from this for a while, cheapest I see it is at 55 euro. No way.
    I like these guys you tube before you buy channel.
    The pointless grind for a costume, and not leveling up at all in terms of weapons, etc, means this is something that I'll avoid for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

KonFusion wrote: »

I was hoping this could come close, but it's not looking like it. Early reviews are mixed/average.

Christ was that 2003...... I remember at the time thinking that the graphics at night in the game were so good.

You can play it free for two weeks if you take a game pass trial.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Ever play Black Wake? http://store.steampowered.com/app/420290/Blackwake/
    Great with a crew that you know on comms.

I also have that, its not bad.

anyone fancy a crew mate hit me up.
    Laviski on win10 xbox app

Laviski wrote: »
    anyone fancy a crew mate hit me up.
    Laviski on win10 xbox app

my kdjac xbox account was killed when they had the hacking issue in 08 so i use my kids account leedan2009

just incase your wondering :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Started playing last night - it's fun. My friends locked me up in the cell, and drank grog until they vomited all over me while I played the accordion. Jolly good time. Would get vomited on again.

There's people out there who pay good money for that sort of thing!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

PvE:

3 mission types and only 3. Sail to island find treasure chest/kill skeletons (and only skeletons, there are no other enemies)/collect chickens,pigs in crates. Bring what they drop back to mission giver.

Skeleton fort: Kill waves of skeletons, bring loot back to mission givers.

I cannot emphasize enough how poor and clunky both sword and gun mechanics are or how rudimentary the skeleton AI is.

EDIT: The loot you get as well appears to be RNG and there are only certain number of chests. So there are effectively only 4 types of loot drop giving 100 to 1000. The 'harder' missions you get as you level up the mission givers don't increase rewards they just give you more islands to visit. You could literally do an hour of play for less than 1000 gold if every island gives you a crappy chest.

The rewards? Only cosmetic and despite that being literally the only reward for grinding/playing there is a scary lack of cosmetics. You can chose 4!!! ship colours 4!!!!!!!!!! There are some items that cost double the basic 140k to 70k and the difference is literally a barely noticeable colour change (eg a lionhead has like.... blue eyes instead of red something you wouldn't even be able to see from a distance).

PvP:

Attack another ship! Spend 20 minutes trying to chase them down. Maybe shoot them with cannons, maybe board and engage in awful sword and gunplay. Maybe kill them. Here are the fun parts. If you die you respawn on your ship shortly afterwards. FOREVER. There is no penalty to dying and in turn there is no reward for killing. If the ship you sink has no loot there was literally no point. If you're the attacker and you get sunk you respawn with a FRESHLY STOCKED SHIP within sight of the people who sunk you. You can literally grief people into leaving the server should you feel so inclined.

All of this is fine with an appropriately priced game but it was $100aud. The only pirates here are Rare. The sad thing is there is a wonderful base but by the time they get around to adding all the countless (and frankly obvious) things that should have been in at launch the playerbase will have abandoned it. In fact I'd love to know how badly the playerbase has fallen since launch. You'll have seen just about everything the game has to offer after an hour or two.

Cheers for reminding me to cancel the game pass :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i am tempted to throw down for the games pass and give it a whirl but i would be playing solo most likely and from what i read and seen you basically kill skeletons and collect golden chickens ... hmm..

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i am tempted to throw down for the games pass and give it a whirl but i would be playing solo most likely and from what i read and seen you basically kill skeletons and collect golden chickens ... hmm..

There isnt a solo matchmaking option so you could be in vs 2s and 4s.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    There isnt a solo matchmaking option so you could be in vs 2s and 4s.

yes there is.... you can sail solo in a sloop. Wouldn't advise it cause you will get bored, (also you can be a fixed 3 man but only in galleon)

personally i find it a bit of fun (at present) in 4 mans doing skelly forts then change server when complete to do a fresh one. Doing forts has high chance of PvP with multiple ships and some good banter that goes with it.

IMO this game is better than Blackwake as that lacked in areas. But Blackwake is 15 euro and SoT in its current form doesn't justify the 60e price tag - 30euro would be fair price. As mentioned there is a great base of a game here, adapt some of the PvP play such as penalties for deaths or loss of a ship would be good start, then expand the PvE to be more dynamic to be possibly fun and not a chore....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Laviski wrote: »
    yes there is.... you can sail solo in a sloop. Wouldn't advise it cause you will get bored, (also you can be a fixed 3 man but only in galleon)

personally i find it a bit of fun (at present) in 4 mans doing skelly forts then change server when complete to do a fresh one. Doing forts has high chance of PvP with multiple ships and some good banter that goes with it.

IMO this game is better than Blackwake as that lacked in areas. But Blackwake is 15 euro and SoT in its current form doesn't justify the 60e price tag - 30euro would be fair price. As mentioned there is a great base of a game here, adapt some of the PvP play such as penalties for deaths or loss of a ship would be good start, then expand the PvE to be more dynamic to be possibly fun and not a chore....

He means that you can sail solo but you'll mostly be playing vs fully manned enemies rather than other solo players.

They were going to have a death tax but the carebear twitterati shouted them down. Sometimes developers really need to be deaf to players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Currently Sea of Thieves is wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.

I'd avoid it for now.

Big issue is that by the time it becomes playable, the community will be dead...

fully manned sloops or galleons doesn't mean they own you outright. Play it smart and you can wipe either with ease however you more likely get caught when on islands doing your voyages.

I would agree with those to wait
    another positive aspect included in the game is to move you to a populated server in the event you are on a server that emptied out. So while numbers may dwindle getting some actions shouldn't be that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Picked SoT up this week on the €1\first month Xbox Ultimate Game Pass and playing it with a couple of others. Really, really enjoying it. There seems to a be a whole rake of content that wasn't there at launch, going by online reports. In a single day got attacked by a Kraken in a storm, got pestered by a Megalodon, had a ship sunk in the crossfire between a skeleton crew ship and another player, barely survived a couple of spewing volcanic explosions, and all this happened while trying to figure out location of secret islands and solve riddles on the newish 'Tall Tales' main storyline. Ridiculously treacherous sea voyaging. Some very dodgy ship manoeuvring included too of course.

Didn't see too many other players about, or at least ones that were hostile. But was glad for that as wanted to concentrate on the main quest. Haven't tried the Arena mode yet which from what I gather just puts you into a specific very small PvP area.

Highly recommend giving it another go if anyone was waiting for a while to jump back in.

Interesting. It was a great game at its core. Just missing content.

Advertisement