Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma with the bill

Options
  • 21-03-2018 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Got a job done and paid the builder. Just found out i'm entitled to claim over 4k vat back on job.Approached the builder for a vat receipt and he tried to tell me it was a cash job.

This was never discussed and original quote I have clearly shows vat.

What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ginger83 wrote:
    This was never discussed and original quote I have clearly shows vat.

Have you got an itemized receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Have you got an itemized receipt?

He never actually gave me a receipt.

Am I right in assuming you spent nearly 40k and you didn't insist on a vat receipt? Did you pay cash or cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ginger83 wrote:
    What should I do?

This should have been discussed with the builder at the time of getting the quote.

In order to claim the vat back the builder should have registered the job on revenue website using your property tax number before the job started.

Obviously tax evasion & cash jobs are wrong but if he didn't charge you vat then you can't claim it back. If you want a vat receipt he can still charge you the vat.

There is nothing stopping you from reporting him to the revenue.

Am I right in assuming you spent nearly 40k and you didn't insist on a vat receipt? Did you pay cash or cheque?

I expected a receipt for the payment. It was part grant payment / balance cash.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    This should have been discussed with the builder at the time of getting the quote.

In order to claim the vat back the builder should have registered the job on revenue website using your property tax number before the job started.

Obviously tax evasion & cash jobs are wrong but if he didn't charge you vat then you can't claim it back. If you want a vat receipt he can still charge you the vat.

There is nothing stopping you from reporting him to the revenue.

I picked what i believed to be a reputable builder and asked him to price the job. I never mentioned cash, sure it was a co co grant involved. My quote shows vat.

Ginger83 wrote:
    I picked what i believed to be a reputable builder and asked him to price the job. I never mentioned cash, sure it was a co co grant involved. My quote shows vat.

Get in touch with revenue send them a copy of the quote showing vat. If he charged you vat & does not but the job through the books then it's theft. That is much worse than a cash job. In your case he's collected the vat but isn't paying it to revenue.

I'm assuming if you got a co co grant that he has a tax clearance cert.

Do you have proof of payment?

Get in touch with revenue send them a copy of the quote showing vat. If he charged you vat & does not but the job through the books then it's theft. That is much worse than a cash job. In your case he's collected the vat but isn't paying it to revenue.

I'm assuming if you got a co co grant that he has a tax clearance cert.

Do you have proof of payment?

Yes he has tax clearance, we had to picked a proper contractor to be approved the grant.

I can prove the grant amount.

Sleeper12 wrote:

Second this but tell the builder first give him a chance to sort out a vat receipt.

Second this but tell the builder first give him a chance to sort out a vat receipt.

He's claiming it was a cash job.

• Advertisement

Ginger83 wrote:

Revenue doesn't recognise cash jobs. Have you a paper trail to prove you paid him? Cheque stubb?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Ginger83 wrote: »

Well here is what you say to your builder:

"I never agreed it was a cash job, your quote includes VAT so why would I expect otherwise. It's up to you, you can give me a VAT receipt or I can just let revenue take it up with you."

If he disagrees then report him to revenue and let them sort it out, foolish of him to give a VAT quote for a cash job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

Contact him again, and tell him you want to reclaim your €4k.

Put it this way, either he's getting it or you're getting it. Right now he hasn't given you a discount, and he hasn't paid Revenue.

Revenue will absolutely nail him for this, big penalties and do a full audit of all his business if you contact them. It's almost certainly going to cost him a lot more than €4k. Tell him this and say you either want the €4k discount back, or you're going to have to report him.

Revenue doesn't recognise cash jobs. Have you a paper trail to prove you paid him? Cheque stubb?

The original quote on company paper show X + vat.

I can prove the grant was paid.

Ginger83 wrote:
    The original quote on company paper show X + vat.

Ginger83 wrote:
    I can prove the grant was paid.

Well tell the builder this and show him what you have. Either he gives you the 4k or he can enjoy a day with Revenue. There's your option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

No such thing.

And unless he wants Revenue to audit his business back to when he started being self employed (and not just 4 years) he'll snap to.

I totally disagree with the should have got this cleared in advance. That's BS, you have the right to assume the people you contract with are above board.

Ginger83 wrote:

You said that you have a quote showing vat. That's not a cash job. I don't condone cash jobs but the way they work is by mutual benefit and agreement

By the way even if he gives you a vat receipt you still can't claim the vat back. He needs to fill in all the details on revenue website

No such thing.

And unless he wants Revenue to audit his business back to when he started being self employed (and not just 4 years) he'll snap to.

I totally disagree with the should have got this cleared in advance. That's BS, you have the right to assume the people you contract with are above board.

I assumed all was above board with a co co grant.

By the way even if he gives you a vat receipt you still can't claim the vat back. He needs to fill in all the details on revenue website

He sounds like a real crook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Cheeky fecker.
    Plenty of cash jobs going around but to quote a price including vat, get paid in full then say there was no vat involved is taking the piss.
    If revenue were to get involved, they would really take him apart. If he is vat registered, he can not legally do the job without charging vat.
    If it happened that he was not vat registered - (it's possible not to be and still be legit with tiny turnover), adding vat to the bill would be an even bigger offence in that case.
    So whatever way he wants to cut it, he is up sh1t Creek as long as you paid him in a traceable way. If you gave him a ball of notes, well forget about it.

I am a tradesman. The rules of the scheme are that you get it cleared in advance. This is revenues rules not mine.

Think about it. Not all tradesmen are registered for vat or have a tax clearance certificate. This is why you need to have all of this discussed at the time of quotation. This is why it needs to be registered on revenue website before any work starts.

mickdw wrote: »
    Cheeky fecker.
    Plenty of cash jobs going around but to quote a price including vat, get paid in full then say there was no vat involved is taking the piss.
    If revenue were to get involved, they would really take him apart. If he is vat registered, he can not legally do the job without charging vat.
    If it happened that he was not vat registered - (it's possible not to be and still be legit with tiny turnover), adding vat to the bill would be an even bigger offence in that case.
    So whatever way he wants to cut it, he is up sh1t Creek as long as you paid him in a traceable way. If you gave him a ball of notes, well forget about it.

He's a big enough builder, i can prove 80-85% of payment.

I am a tradesman. The rules of the scheme are that you get it cleared in advance. This is revenues rules not mine.

Think about it. Not all tradesmen are registered for vat or have a tax clearance certificate. This is why you need to have all of this discussed at the time of quotation. This is why it needs to be registered on revenue website before any work starts.

He does have a tax clearance cert.

From the citizens advice bureau:

Details of the work

For you to be able to claim the HRI credit, your contractor(s) must enter details of the work on the HRI online administration system. This system is only accessible to contractors who are registered for VAT and are tax-compliant.

Revenue advises applicants to log in to HRI online (see ‘Where to apply’ below) to check that their contractors have correctly entered details of the works and payments.

Checklist

You should also:

Ensure that you have paid or arranged to pay any Local Property Tax (LPT) that is dueCheck that your contractor has a VAT number and is tax-compliantEnsure that the work qualifies – see 'Qualifying work' aboveIf you are a local authority tenant, get written authorisation from the local authority before getting any work doneKeep all supporting documentation – tax clearance certificates, estimates, receipts etc.Give the contractor the LPT Property ID of your property but not your LPT PIN or your Personal Public Service Number

Ginger83 wrote:
    He does have a tax clearance cert.

I get the feeling this Grant was to adapt a home for a disabled person, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I expected a receipt for the payment. It was part grant payment / balance cash.

grant payment from the state?

for what?

to you or the builder? and from what state department?

because usually any grants issued by the state can only go to fully compliant builders

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Into the pocket, no docket. Johnny Cash is King.

If you have a bill with Vat on it though, that's different altogether.

I get the feeling this Grant was to adapt a home for a disabled person, is that correct?

Yes 100% correct

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    grant payment from the state?

for what?

to you or the builder? and from what state department?

because usually any grants issued by the state can only go to fully compliant builders

Housing adaptation for person with a disability.

Advertisement