Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma with the bill

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Ginger83

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its quite simple.

if hes given you a quotation with VAT included, and youve paid the full bill, he should give you a receipt with VAT included.

If youve paid him the full amount including VAT and hes now saying its a cash job, then hes pocketing the cash to the VAT amount.
    report him to revenue.

Will that get me the vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think it will be more straight forward to look for a cash refund of the vat amount seeing as he clearly has collected it for himself instead of collecting it for revenue.
    It's pretty simple. If he is audited, he will be at the loss of that vat amount plus penalties plus everything else that they will surely find so he would be a very special kind of dumb if he was to allow that report to go in if you give him a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Will that get me the vat?

probably not directly.
    but revenue must has some mechainism that covers this. they must be able to override the invoice and say its vat inclusive.
    then use that to claim your money

probably not directly.
    but revenue must has some mechainism that covers this. they must be able to override the invoice and say its vat inclusive.
    then use that to claim your money

I know someone who went to claim vat back and he was specifically asked for an original vat invoice.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think it will be more straight forward to look for a cash refund of the vat amount seeing as he clearly has collected it for himself instead of collecting it for revenue.
    It's pretty simple. If he is audited, he will be at the loss of that vat amount plus penalties plus everything else that they will surely find so he would be a very special kind of dumb if he was to allow that report to go in if you give him a choice.

I am going to contact him on monday, hope it goes well as I dont like confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Lads - just to clear one thing up.

The OP is not claiming on the Home Renovation Incentive - they are attempting to claim back the VAT under an allowance for disabled people.

OP:

If the work was grant aided in full then I don't see how you would be allowed claim the VAT back - it would be the payee who could claim back the VAT.

If the works were only partially grant aided then you can obviously go about claiming the VAT back on the portion you paid for.

To try to claim VAT back on works that are grant aided would surely mean you are making a profit on the grant?

Apologies if I have misunderstood anything here.

+1 its not the HRI scheme.

If we accepted the grant to our account and just paid the bill X + vat in total why can we not claim the vat in full?
    You could , but you would need* to declare the grant as an income and pay USC on it , and possibly PAYE and PRSI

*it may be exempt

Advertisement