Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adoption Crate

• 21-03-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Had a ewe with 2 lambs yesterday, ewe only took up with 1 lamb.

So I got an adoption headlock and put the ewe in it. I have never used one before so looking for information. Let the ewe out this evening and she rejected the lamb again.

Reason I left the ewe out of headlock was that she was standing all the time and never lay down. Would this be normal.

How long should I leave her in the headlock.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

She is just standing for being stubborn. Don't mind her carry on. Some even sit being stubborn which is worse as lamb can't suck.
    Don't attempt to take her out again till they bond which could be a week.
    By bond I mean the ewe is looking for the lamb ie calling out/bawling for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought brand new one first year lambing used it once ewe ended up laying on the lamb thought it wasnt worth the hardship lying there since... have been very successful weaning lambs onto other ewes which i find a lot handier 10 mins work and that's it not a ewe standing in a crate for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Lambman wrote:
    Bought brand new one first year lambing used it once ewe ended up laying on the lamb thought it wasnt worth the hardship lying there since... have been very successful weaning lambs onto other ewes which i find a lot handier 10 mins work and that's it not a ewe standing in a crate for a week.

Would you mind explaining how you foster them on to another ewe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If it's a dry lamb, wash him in warm salty water and tie his front legs together and back legs together, if hes wet just tie the legs together,b
    Put the lamb on a plastic bag under the ewe and lamb the ewe down on top of the adopted lamb and cover him in fluids from the ewe,
    Take away her lamb and leave her licking the adopted lamb, after ten minutes cut the ties, and then after another ten minutes give her own lamb back,
    If the ewe is lambed a while you can do it too but it takes longer, I've got this to work up to 12 hrs after lambing
    Best to use a glove and lubricant, put your hand into her gently as if you were lambing her, keep manipulating her same as lambing her and she eventually starts licking her lips like in lambing. . Take the hand out a few times and rub the prepared tied lamb with the fluids, she will eventually lick your hand when you put it to her nose. If she licks your hand she'll lick the lamb. Take her own lamb away and let them bond.
    Snap ties are very handy for tying, Tying the legs is important because they get suspisious if the lamb gets up too quick

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

wrangler wrote: »
    If it's a dry lamb, wash him in warm salty water and tie his front legs together and back legs together, if hes wet just tie the legs together,b
    Put the lamb on a plastic bag under the ewe and lamb the ewe down on top of the adopted lamb and cover him in fluids from the ewe,
    Take away her lamb and leave her licking the adopted lamb, after ten minutes cut the ties, and then after another ten minutes give her own lamb back,
    If the ewe is lambed a while you can do it too but it takes longer, I've got this to work up to 12 hrs after lambing
    Best to use a glove and lubricant, put your hand into her gently as if you were lambing her, keep manipulating her same as lambing her and she eventually starts licking her lips like in lambing. . Take the hand out a few times and rub the prepared tied lamb with the fluids, she will eventually lick your hand when you put it to her nose. If she licks your hand she'll lick the lamb. Take her own lamb away and let them bond.
    Snap ties are very handy for tying, Tying the legs is important because they get suspisious if the lamb gets up too quick

Even better is to put the lamb your trying to adopt all tied up in a bucket and lamb her into the bucket catching as much fluid as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Same as wrangler says except I'd always use a spray off deodorant on both her own lamb and the foster lamb especially on there back end and head if both lambs smell the same till here she will take till both off them has worked for me anyway... id still keep them in on there own for a day till make sure her own lamb gets enough colostrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

wrangler wrote:
    If it's a dry lamb, wash him in warm salty water and tie his front legs together and back legs together, if hes wet just tie the legs together,b Put the lamb on a plastic bag under the ewe and lamb the ewe down on top of the adopted lamb and cover him in fluids from the ewe, Take away her lamb and leave her licking the adopted lamb, after ten minutes cut the ties, and then after another ten minutes give her own lamb back, If the ewe is lambed a while you can do it too but it takes longer, I've got this to work up to 12 hrs after lambing Best to use a glove and lubricant, put your hand into her gently as if you were lambing her, keep manipulating her same as lambing her and she eventually starts licking her lips like in lambing. . Take the hand out a few times and rub the prepared tied lamb with the fluids, she will eventually lick your hand when you put it to her nose. If she licks your hand she'll lick the lamb. Take her own lamb away and let them bond. Snap ties are very handy for tying, Tying the legs is important because they get suspisious if the lamb gets up too quick

Thanks.id usually have just made pets of them but have a lot more sheep this year and less time!ill see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Inchilad wrote: »
    Thanks.id usually have just made pets of them but have a lot more sheep this year and less time!ill see how it goes.

True, it does take time and it works best if done while lambing the ewe so you have to be vigilant, we used to do between 50 and 70 adoptions every year so it was vital that they succeed.
    So it'd mean using €1000 worth of lamlac and the hassle of petting them not to be fostering

Advertisement