Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokemon Go Mark III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Decent day, hatched a Gible from a 10k egg. IVs aren't great, but it lets me build up candy while I wait for a better one so I'm happy.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Busy day so didn't really get to take part in the raids this evening, but on the way somewhere with one of the kids we joined a level 5 Mesprit raid, little fecker wouldn't stay in the ball for me :D
    I'm a bit behind here, Level 25 only, and in the middle of the Meltan/Mythical/Mew tasks, so today was good. Caught a few grimers to evolve it for one of the tasks, working on magikarp but a long way to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Busy day so didn't really get to take part in the raids this evening, but on the way somewhere with one of the kids we joined a level 5 Mesprit raid, little fecker wouldn't stay in the ball for me :D
    I'm a bit behind here, Level 25 only, and in the middle of the Meltan/Mythical/Mew tasks, so today was good. Caught a few grimers to evolve it for one of the tasks, working on magikarp but a long way to go.
    Honestly these days the by far fastest way to level up is through the friends system. Start early and keep going using Reddit, Sliphroad and/or the list here to get plenty of friends to send/open for with great items as a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just to add to that, make sure when you befriend someone that you have a way of contacting them and state at the start that you'll want to sync and egg at Ultra.

Since you'll never raid/trade with these friends, there's no point gifting beyond Ultra.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

josip wrote: »
    Just to add to that, make sure when you befriend someone that you have a way of contacting them and state at the start that you'll want to sync and egg at Ultra.

Since you'll never raid/trade with these friends, there's no point gifting beyond Ultra.
    I can think of about 100.000 reasons :P

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got zero shiny torchic on community day! I think I caught about 50 of the little feckers and not one was shiny. I was hoping to get a Clamperl raid yesterday, but none near me, so me and the little dude did a slakoth raid, and then attempted a Tyranitar, but ran out of time. It got me my 10 raids for step 6 of the Meltan quest, and then I'd saved a cubone from the research tasks, so got step 7 done on the spot, and now on step 8. Does Omanyte still spawn at the seaside, or is that not a thing anymore?

Nody wrote: »
    I can think of about 100.000 reasons :P

It's not cost effective to go to Best just for the XP.
    • 7 days gifting gets you 10,000 XP (1428/day)
    • A further 23 days gifting gets you Ultra and 50,000 XP (2174/day)
    • A further 60 days gifting gets you Best and 100,000 XP (1667/day)
    You'll get more XP bang per gift only going to Ultra.

Plus, there's a big 60 day commitment going from Ultra to Best and you only benefit if you make it all the way.
    I've a good few remote 'friends' that stopped playing/gifting 10-15 days shy of Best.
    With Ultra, there's much less at stake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Toots wrote: »
    I got zero shiny torchic on community day! I think I caught about 50 of the little feckers and not one was shiny. I was hoping to get a Clamperl raid yesterday, but none near me, so me and the little dude did a slakoth raid, and then attempted a Tyranitar, but ran out of time. It got me my 10 raids for step 6 of the Meltan quest, and then I'd saved a cubone from the research tasks, so got step 7 done on the spot, and now on step 8. Does Omanyte still spawn at the seaside, or is that not a thing anymore?

Sometimes, but it's rare enough. If you find a task that's "Win a 3 star or higher raid" for a Pokémon encounter, the reward will be either Omanyte or Kabuto though.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Feck. Then I'd have to find a level 3 or higher raid and win it :pac: Maybe I'll get lucky with an egg or two.

They all seem to be in 5km eggs, so I'll have to walk like a mad woman and hope for the best!

• Advertisement

It's not cost effective to go to Best just for the XP.
    • 7 days gifting gets you 10,000 XP (1428/day)
    • A further 23 days gifting gets you Ultra and 50,000 XP (2174/day)
    • A further 60 days gifting gets you Best and 100,000 XP (1667/day)
    You'll get more XP bang per gift only going to Ultra.

Plus, there's a big 60 day commitment going from Ultra to Best and you only benefit if you make it all the way.
    I've a good few remote 'friends' that stopped playing/gifting 10-15 days shy of Best.
    With Ultra, there's much less at stake.
    I've got 91 friends in my list; of them about 50 are best friends, 20 ultra and the rest have (with one exception) stopped opening gifts at various levels below ultra. Of my 20 ultra friends 2 stopped at ultra as you suggest, 1 stopped once they hit 40 and 3 simply stopped opening gifts. The rest are all making progress towards best friend status (at different speeds) but the best benefit for them all is because I've hit 40 they will all get to decide when to hatch the final tier (and use an egg if so desired for multi combo).

That's what makes it worth going beyond the fact you can only open 20 gifts a day but you can send unlimited amount of gifts (and get experience for it) and to constantly switch for new friends is annoying. Add to the fact everyone in my friend's list get at least 1 gift a week even at best friend status (usually more but I'm making sure at least once a week I go through the full list inc. the lowest ranked once) ensures that I'm also maintaining that constant list of gifts available even when "it's not needed". Each to their own but personally I prefer a shorter list with people who keeps sending me gifts (and get gifts) than to constantly go look for more people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I've a couple of tasks to catch steel and ghost types, but neither have appeared for me for ages........
    Tymon North in Tallaght is currently a shuppet nest. It’s the park where the National Basketball Arena is located. (So handy parking and easily accessible from M50)

As an aside Herbert Park in Ballsbridge being reported as a Hippotas nest.

In terms of friends I’m currently at 190. Great source of XP and items. It’s awkward to manage though. I would like a longer term notification than “2+ days”. Am currently keeping an eye on activity and will remove friends once they hit 2 weeks of no interaction. (1 week into my watch)
    Also importantly an indicator of who has an unopened gift would be such a timesaver.

476/477

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

After the detective pikachu events, Misdreavus and magnemite reappeared so there done.
    Current tasks are evolve sunkern (or Gloom) with the stone, and evolve magikarp (FFS).

Magikarp is my buddy for now, and for a while yet, time to up my running! Another couple of sunkerns will get me over that line.

I'm not sure how long I'll play this, loving it at the moment though.
    Only about 250 in my pokedex.

Its pretty fun when you are trying to fill the dex. Chasing shadows.

I maxed my dex about 3 weeks ago, such a sense of relief!! (got to 466/466)
    The next day they added 3 new regionals in raids, and last Friday they added about a dozen more new ones.
    So Im manically hoping to find Hippotas, Gible and more Shellos and Burmy!!

If you have the time look back over this thread. Its cool to see the development of accounts by josip. (Hope I recall that correctly)
    He kept us up to date with his families ability to beat progressively harder raids.

Im very lucky in that I have had to travel to the US a few times for work so was able to pick up Tauros, then got Carnivine and Heracross on holidays last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Burmy shadow a few times today twice passing by garden of remembrance on either side on the bus I'll be able to look for it tomorrow if it's still there.

My dex is sitting at 478 seen, 476 caught. The two I've seen but not caught are regionals (Pachirisu and Chatot). Working on the candy for Wormadam (the one Burmy I found is a female), and Garchomp (hatched one Gible, gonna wait for a better one to evolve).

Three type of Burmy trash grass and sand

Trash seems to be urban areas Grass Parks and Sand beaches and coastal areas

Tenger wrote: »
    Its pretty fun when you are trying to fill the dex. Chasing shadows.

I maxed my dex about 3 weeks ago, such a sense of relief!! (got to 466/466)
    The next day they added 3 new regionals in raids, and last Friday they added about a dozen more new ones.
    So Im manically hoping to find Hippotas, Gible and more Shellos and Burmy!!

If you have the time look back over this thread. Its cool to see the development of accounts by josip. (Hope I recall that correctly)
    He kept us up to date with his families ability to beat progressively harder raids.

Im very lucky in that I have had to travel to the US a few times for work so was able to pick up Tauros, then got Carnivine and Heracross on holidays last summer.

Thanks for the benign description. Some of those posts were "...if you look at today's screenshot, you'll see the amount of red left on Machamp/Ttar is 2 pixels less than yesterday because I powered Alakazam/Machamp No 5 up once and TMed No. 6, tune in Monday for the next update...."

I remember the first time my son's account soloed a Lvl 3 (Sandslash), Soloed Machamp (I had the bug by then), duoed Absol with my son's account and me running his mammy's account (our best Pogo moment).
    By the time we were able to duo Ttar we'd just found the local Pogo group which was perfect timing for the Tier 5s. I think if we'd gotten involved with them sooner, we'd have missed out on the Machamp/Alakazam/Ttar fun.

Since then we've had different challenges including trying to trigger local EX elligible gyms, and I finally got my own account solely to increase the trainer raid count. That's now at Lvl 36 and moving along nicely :)

Our latest challenge is personal. In my wife's city our closest gym is 'owned' by a trainer who lives above it. If he's at home, he kicks everyone out immediately. So we tease him by always putting in an Unown since he doesn't have any. Over the months, he's been levelling up slightly before my son. They're both at L39 now and my son asked if he could be L40 before we get back there at the start of July in the hope that he gets one up on him. So my focus is no longer damage breakpoints but how to collect enough gifts every day to keep the the friendships ticking along.

Once we hit Lvl 40 I'm looking forward to the Dex filling. I've always been a bit envious of the trainers here whose days of chasing XP are over and who can focus on the collecting side of things. It seems a much more civilised part of the game.

And a hundred gold gyms. I'd like that too...

Our latest challenge is personal. In my wife's city our closest gym is 'owned' by a trainer who lives above it. If he's at home, he kicks everyone out immediately. So we tease him by always putting in an Unown since he doesn't have any. Over the months, he's been levelling up slightly before my son. They're both at L39 now and my son asked if he could be L40 before we get back there at the start of July in the hope that he gets one up on him. So my focus is no longer damage breakpoints but how to collect enough gifts every day to keep the the friendships ticking along........

I approve of this challenge.
    I spent about a year getting booted from my closest 2 gyms by another trainer. Managed to get to lvl 40 2 month before them. And like yourself kept putting in my foreign regionals to annoy him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Three type of Burmy trash grass and sand

Trash seems to be urban areas Grass Parks and Sand beaches and coastal areas

Yup, tied to specific biome.

Their evolution is a bit different too, depending on male/female.

Must have a look on reddit later to see if there is a way to find out biome's

• Advertisement

Up in Dublin early tomorrow for Lapras raid day :D

Stephens Green myself have 30 green passes on main account I want two shiny one for me and the other for me. :D

Gonna try get to that hippo nest too if I can that's gonna be one elusive pokemon.

I got lucky and hatched a 93% one the other day, 15/15/12, so I'm pretty happy with that for the hippos. Plus it was the female, which I think looks cooler when evolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There's a hippo nest in Dublin?! :eek: Whyyyy am I not thereeeee :(

I'm gonna do lapras raid day but I'll be annoyed if I have to pay for raid passes, but I know myself, I'm too mad for shinies not to :pac: Likewise with the upcoming legendaries - I did SO many Groudon/Kyogre raids to no avail so I'm bitter, but Cresselia looks so good shiny and I know I'll be tempted by the others too.

I'll probably be starting off around the SSG area for raid day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Finished the day with 3 shiny lapras, but it took me 16 f*cking raids to get my first one :( So much for saving passes for Cresselia. Then the one after that was shiny too, so I kept going and finished after 26 raids. :rolleyes: Only silver lining is that doing all those raids pushed me to level 40! The downside of which was having 919/750 items and needing to spin stops for bronzor quests.

Got 5 shinies, 4 on the main and 1 on the second account.

12 raids on two accounts 9 on the third caught 7 in total no shinies gonna go somewhere new next raid day Stephens Green way to fast at starting I got there at 11:10am and played catch up.

Got two red Burmy on O'Connell Street so glad of them

Gonna head to herbert park tonight to catch some hippos and also stock up on piplup candies so I can finish the evolutions. Did a clamperl raid with my little dude on the way home from school, so we both managed to add it to the dex, and himself was chuffed because he got it on the first ball.

• Advertisement

What's the deal with the weekly research reward - is it the same pokemon for a specific day, like on one given day is everyone going to get Ho-Oh? Me, my SIL and my son all got Lugia just now and I've already got 6 of them. And it's a crap Lugia too :(

Advertisement