Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Public car? So you're saying that your car and everybody else's is open for usage for myself, friends and family? Delighted to hear that!

Incorrect spin. Its public transport, private transport and private cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Having the means and finances to sit in traffic in your car isn't so good either.

Certainly not so good for your health - doubling your risk of cancer or heart disease;

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/cycling-to-work-cuts-risk-of-heart-disease-and-cancer-by-almost-half-35637612.html

Just seen that they are proposing to remove over 115 parking spaces along Morrissons Quay and Father Matthew Quay, can't see the logic there at all.
    I guess the logic might be 'Why should public space be given over to storage of private property?"

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Yes. The people that work in the city, that live in the city, that shop/visit in the city. The public.

Huge benefits in having open areas in city centres (e.g. St.stephen's green in Dublin, Central Park in New York). The quality associated with life in cities does not revolve soley around shopping options and car park spaces. That's an incredibly basic view on life. It would be pretty standard in most areas to be able to take your family to a playground or a safe Park area so young children can walk / play etc. A bit of forward thinking and a certain level of compassion for fellow city dwellers would go a long way for the selfish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes Cork does have a remarkably low amount of open space in the city centre. Unprecedented to be honest even in an Irish context. Dublin has numerous parks in the city. Galway has Eyre Square. Limerick the People's Park and riverside walk.

Also no such thing as a public car. You can't rock up and sit in any car you want and drive off.

There's outcry from people who live in the city. People are crying out for more public space in the city. Have you not seen the campaigns for Marina Park or Tramore Valley Park? I don't understand why anybody would object to making a city more liveable and not just a car centered traffic nightmare. I can already imagine the objections if/when a BRT/LRT line in Cork gets the go ahead.
    Cork city does not a remarkably low amount of open space. And there is no outcry for it either. I have seen the one for Marina Park, and good luck to it. But it's not the same as reducing capacity on the mentioned streets. They are not going to become an Eyre's Square.

no.8 wrote: »
    Public car? So you're saying that your car and everybody else's is open for usage for myself, friends and family? Delighted to hear that!

Incorrect spin. Its public transport, private transport and private cars.
    The public do own cars as well. Is this a new concept to you? I never said it was part of the public transport system, so don't understand your confusion.

• Advertisement

Huge benefits in having open areas in city centres (e.g. St.stephen's green in Dublin, Central Park in New York).
    I agree with that.
    The quality associated with life in cities does not revolve soley around shopping options and car park spaces. That's an incredibly basic view on life.
    And I never said that it should revolve around those.
    A bit of forward thinking and a certain level of compassion for fellow city dwellers would go a long way for the selfish
    Selfish? Check the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Skedaddle wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. It's got very, very little green space in the city centre. This is probably largely due to the way the city itself is formed i.e. on a delta in a river. It means though that the quaysides and wider streets need to be used as public spaces. Otherwise, you don't really get a very pleasant city.

Tree planting and bringing some nature into the city is a positive thing.

It's worth remembering that prior to the 20th century there was a lot more green space around what is now the Marina.

Clearing the area around the Centre Park Road and restoring the parkland that was there would make an awful lot of sense as you'd suddenly have a big green space in the city centre. A lot of it is still there, but the marina needs to be reconnected with the city.

From what I understand of the history of that area, the City Council effectively handed over public park land to Ford, Dunlop and the ESB and the whole thing turned into a mess of industrial use.

That entire area is now absolutely dilapidated post-industrial wasteland. It reminds me of something you'd see in a rust belt in Southern Belgium. The marina walk itself is lovely, but not properly maintained and could be a lot nicer.

Do you honestly believe that returning the Marina to parkland is the best use for this area. Outside of Marina Park, this entire area is destined (correctly) for high density development.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cork city does not a remarkably low amount of open space. And there is no outcry for it either. I have seen the one for Marina Park, and good luck to it. But it's not the same as reducing capacity on the mentioned streets. They are not going to become an Eyre's Square.

Repating this over and over doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. A quick search on Google reveals numerous campaigns for playground facilities in and around the city - take a look.

Nobody could possibly say Cork has a reasonable amount of open space for public use unless you're car obsessed and view the city only as a shopping/work destination where you can park your car up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Do you honestly believe that returning the Marina to parkland is the best use for this area. Outside of Marina Park, this entire area is destined (correctly) for high density development.

The showgrounds where the Marquee sits has just gone on the market for €11m

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The public do own cars as well. Is this a new concept to you? I never said it was part of the public transport system, so don't understand your confusion.

Some of the public do own cars as well. Why should public space and resources be dedicated to only a sub-section of the public, the better off sub-section of the public.

• Advertisement

Repating this over and over doesn't change the fact that you're wrong.
    Say that to yourself a few times.

I disagree with that.

And I never said that it should revolve around those.

Selfish? Check the mirror.

You disagree with parks etc. in cities. What a bizarre viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

OH ffs they are private cars and you know it. You are not helping your point by trying (and failing) to be clever with words.

I believe you can mix both uses.

Cork's not going to need ultra-high density development down there. It's going to be a few office towers and some similar facilities. There's a vast area of land down there that's sitting as crappy, tumble down warehouses that were formerly parts of Ford and similar industries.

The current use is an absolute disgrace. It should never have been allowed to get into that state.

There also should not be any industries involving heavy trucks and storage of bulk fuel and chemicals sitting that close to the city centre.

The whole point of the Marina is that is can’t be developed into a high density mixed use. Given that Marina Park is already being developed, anything further would be overkill and may actually scupper the possibility of a BRT or Luas line due to lower population density.

EDIT: where did I say anything about industrial development in the Marina? Where did I say anything about supporting the status quo?

Some of the public do own cars as well. Why should public space and resources be dedicated to only a sub-section of the public, the better off sub-section of the public.
    I didn't say it should be.
    And I don't think car ownership means better off. When I lived in the city I didn't have a car, and was in a good job with plenty of means available to me. I lived in the city, so didn't near a car.

You disagree with parks etc. in cities. What a bizarre viewpoint.
    I corrected that post already before yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I for one, as person living in the city centre, love the fact that I can roam freely around Patrick street after 3pm. It's an absolute delight.
    All of these begrudgers living in the suburbs/out of town who can't park their car in town need to wake up. Cork is moving on, the city is getting bigger and you got to move with the times or you'll be left behind. A few too many Victor Mildrews' in our midst.

Ludo wrote: »
    OH ffs they are private cars and you know it. You are not helping your point by trying (and failing) to be clever with words.

Private cars owned by the public. So not being clever with words at all, if that is lost on you.
    Cars are owned by the public as well. You know, the people of Cork. They also live, work and visit the city. So they also have a say.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I for one, as person living in the city centre, love the fact that I can roam freely around Patrick street after 3pm. It's an absolute delight.
    All of these begrudgers living in the suburbs/out of town who can't park their car in town need to wake up. Cork is moving on, the city is getting bigger and you got to move with the times or you'll be left behind. A few too many Victor Mildrews' in our midst.
    You couldn't roam freely before that? Glad that you are now lifted from your shackles Mr Mildrew and less people are there to bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I believe you can mix both uses.

Cork's not going to need ultra-high density development down there. It's going to be a few office towers and some similar facilities. There's a vast area of land down there that's sitting as crappy, tumble down warehouses that were formerly parts of Ford and similar industries that absolutely needs to be reclaimed as green space and landscaped into park.

The current use is an absolute disgrace. It should never have been allowed to get into that state.

There also should not be any industries involving heavy trucks and storage of bulk fuel and chemicals sitting that close to the city centre.

Do you really need to be storing huge piles of coal and animal feed in what should be a public park!?

As for that ESB station? They managed to put what was originally a coal burning station in the middle of the city centre almost and run a huge ugly set of pylons right across the Montenotte / Tivoli ridge - one of the nicest views in the city. Can you imagine the ESB having been allowed to run Pylons over Killiney Hill, Dalkey or Howth Head?! That's effectively what they did there. Even by mid 20th century standards, it was incredibly poor planning.

I find the whole Marina area utterly bizarre. It's like you've suddenly stepped into some kind of weird post-industrial dystopia down there. It reminds me of the bad old days of Dublin's docks, only with trees.

What I don't understand is why a city this small continues to make very poor use of what green space it has. It makes no sense and it's not creating a very nice environment for people to live and work in.

Cities are about a lot more than just housing density and office space, unless you want to live in some kind of weird soviet work camp or something.

Um, where are all the existing businesses supposed to go then?

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t roam too freely. The street has not actually been pedestrianised. If anything, taxis are now driving faster than usual on the street due to less traffic. At the same time, some pedestrians have fallen into a false sense of security that it is now pedestrianised.

Wouldn’t be surprised if someone doesn’t get knocked down in the next few weeks. I’ve witnessed some anger between taxis and pedestrians so far.

The poster complains about poor usage of urban space and at the same time, seems opposed to increasesing urban density in the Marina which is vital in supporting future public transport. Makes no sense.

The idea is that they'd sell their valuable plot of land and purchase a new premises elsewhere on the outskirts of the city for less.

I responded to your post below:

I was describing the current use and how it got there. I wasn't specifically aiming my response at your comments.

I think perhaps we should stick to discussing the topic at hand rather than engaging in an argument about posting style ?!?

What are you on about, posting style? Your post was incredibly confusing and appears to be directly pointed at my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

What are you on about, posting style? Your post was incredibly confusing and appears to be directly pointed at my previous post.

FINE

It's now deleted and I won't bother posting on this forum again.

Clearly a waste of my time and effort.

You couldn't roam freely before that? Glad that you are now lifted from your shackles Mr Mildrew and less people are there to bother you.

Roam without cars up and down the street, doesn't take a genius to realise that Mr. Mildrew. Actually i'm meeting a lot more people who are happier due to less traffic on the street. People living in the city centre love it. Maybe you should try walking around without the cars on the streets. Who knows, you might even enjoy it.

I wouldn’t roam too freely. The street has not actually been pedestrianised. If anything, taxis are now driving faster than usual on the street due to less traffic. At the same time, some pedestrians have fallen into a false sense of security that it is now pedestrianised.

Wouldn’t be surprised if someone doesn’t get knocked down in the next few weeks. I’ve witnessed some anger between taxis and pedestrians so far.

Allright Mr Safe Cross Code. Be careful out there.

Roam without cars up and down the street, doesn't take a genius to realise that Mr. Mildrew. Actually i'm meeting a lot more people who are happier due to less traffic on the street. People living in the city centre love it. Maybe you should try walking around without the cars on the streets. Who knows, you might even enjoy it.
    Oh, you poor thing. Couldn't cross the road previously or enjoy the city center.
    And it's not pedestrianized yet, still taxi's and buses up and down the street ruining your day. But good to know you're getting out and meeting people, bless.

Oh, you poor thing. Couldn't cross the road previously or enjoy the city center.
    And it's not pedestrianized yet, still taxi's and buses up and down the street ruining your day. But good to know you're getting out and meeting people, bless.

At least i'm not whinging about it. I think it's a great thing. As for you...

• Advertisement

At least i'm not whinging about it. I think it's a great thing. As for you...
    You certainly are whining.
    In case you can’t keep up, I said on here that it’s worth a trial to see if it works out. So if I’m Mr Mildred, it must make you Mr Magoo.

Advertisement