Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Zico ! wrote: »
    This decision is a poor one my business on patrick street is way down over it -these gombeens in city hall havent a clue.Every customer coming in is moaning about it.

Which business?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Which business?

Where do you work tell us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zico's isn't on St. Patrick's Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Zico !

Zico's isn't on St. Patrick's Street!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This is hilarious. Many people on this thread have been moaning that you have to drive right to your work place in the city centre because of the torrential continuous rain in Cork and that walking/bus simply isn't an option but it's grand for kids who live in the city to get some open space. :pac:
    As hilarious as you moaning about a 2km walk :D

• Advertisement

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Which business?

Busker I reckon.

Augeo wrote: »
    Busker I reckon.

Time for some new tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

How long does it take the moaning to stop usually on such projects in Cork? Usually in Dublin it's the day after implementation. Are there any posters here would pass through on a bus around this time? notice any improvement in the service?

cgcsb wrote: »
    How long does it take the moaning to stop usually on such projects in Cork? Usually in Dublin it's the day after implementation. Are there any posters here would pass through on a bus around this time? notice any improvement in the service?

Generally a few years. Though I haven't heard anyone complaining about trucks avoiding the Glanmire bypass for some time now, so at least that's something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Zico ! wrote: »
    This decision is a poor one my business on patrick street is way down over it -these gombeens in city hall havent a clue.Every customer coming in is moaning about it.

But it's only the street, it's not as if your customers could park on that street last month? They still have all the multi-story car parks around.

This is just bog standard people moaning about change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But it's only the street, it's not as if your customers could park on that street last month? They still have all the multi-story car parks around.

Yeah this is the point I can't understand. You couldn't park on Patrick street anyway? Maybe roughly 20 loading bay spaces mixed with taxi ranks? You couldn't park on these spaces before 6.30 anyway right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

flexcon wrote: »
    Yeah this is the point I can't understand. You couldn't park on Patrick street anyway? Maybe roughly 20 loading bay spaces mixed with taxi ranks? You couldn't park on these spaces before 6.30 anyway right?

It used to be possible to collect someone who was shopping on Patrick Street after finishing work. I've done that a number of times in the past but now it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sonics2k wrote: »

It will affect the customers because they will all get pissed off with the extra traffic and not bother going in, I’ve often aborted trips around the city cause the traffic was unbearable.

With all the extra traffic going down there by Dealz and corn market street, wouldn’t be surprised if someone gets knocked down there, it’s very dangerous. People just walk across without even looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fin12 wrote: »
    With all the extra traffic going down there by Dealz and corn market street, wouldn’t be surprised if someone gets knocked down there, it’s very dangerous. People just walk across without even looking.

It's a pedestrian priority zone. Everyone needs to be aware but priority is for pedestrians there.

macraignil wrote: »
    It used to be possible to collect someone who was shopping on Patrick Street after finishing work. I've done that a number of times in the past but now it's illegal.

Can they not literally walk 2 minutes to somewhere else: South Mall, Emmet Place, Grand Parade etc?

Can they not literally walk 2 minutes to somewhere else: South Mall, Emmet Place, Grand Parade etc?

According to Zico that's not the experience of many of the retailers along the street with trade down since the change. Not sure myself why they'd want to stay trading there and pay the exorbitant rates charges to the city council that clearly doesn't value their opinion. Sure people could walk with their shopping to somewhere else to get collected but it's just another reason to just give up on Patrick Street and go to one of the shopping malls that popped up in delightful places like Blackpool and Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No. It's always pissing down with rain.

According to Zico that's not the experience of many of the retailers along the street with trade down since the change. Not sure myself why they'd want to stay trading there and pay the exorbitant rates charges to the city council that clearly doesn't value their opinion. Sure people could walk with their shopping to somewhere else to get collected but it's just another reason to just give up on Patrick Street and go to one of the shopping malls that popped up in delightful places like Blackpool and Mahon.

Met a few shoppers i know around town and each one was positive about the changes especially to the experience on Patrick Street. There was an extensive consultation period last year before this came into effect. The council originally proposed closing the street from 12-6.30 but following consultation changed it to 3-6.30. To say their opinion wasn't valued is not true.

No. It's always pissing down with rain.

Of course. I was lucky on my commute this morning and evening that it was dry. Rare occurrence apparently.

• Advertisement

Met a few shoppers i know around town and each one was positive about the changes especially to the experience on Patrick Street. There was an extensive consultation period last year before this came into effect. The council originally proposed closing the street from 12-6.30 but following consultation changed it to 3-6.30. To say their opinion wasn't valued is not true.

Someone told me this restricted time road closure was just going to be a preparation phase for banning cars from the street altogether. Hope that's not true.

Working for the last few years in the city centre and most of the surrounding streets to my workplace have been changes to a very inconvenient one way system that's unpopular with everyone I've spoken to about the situation. Not sure who the city council is consulting with but I hope they respond to the gridlock they are creating and find some solutions.

Someone told me this restricted time road closure was just going to be a preparation phase for banning cars from the street altogether. Hope that's not true.

Working for the last few years in the city centre and most of the surrounding streets to my workplace have been changes to a very inconvenient one way system that's unpopular with everyone I've spoken to about the situation. Not sure who the city council is consulting with but I hope they respond to the gridlock they are creating and find some solutions.

Problem is people don't complain or make their voices heard during consultation periods but then when changes happen the moaning begins. For instance there was a two month consultation period on the proposed bridge between merchants quay and Patrick's Quay..... Number of submission were zero, nada, none. Guaranteed people will be moaning when works begin though.

What streets were recently changed to 1 way system?

Problem is people don't complain or make their voices heard during consultation periods but then when changes happen the moaning begins. For instance there was a two month consultation period on the proposed bridge between merchants quay and Patrick's Quay..... Number of submission were zero, nada, none. Guaranteed people will be moaning when works begin though.

What streets were recently changed to 1 way system?

Grattan street.

fin12 wrote: »
    Grattan street.

The quay from Grattan Street to the N22 as well. I think it's labeled R847. Broad lane was also a handy way to avoid traffic but the direction was reversed to make it useless. I think there are more as well but it seems to be a new one is being changed every week and I'm not sure which ones are due to the road resurfacing and which ones are permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It should be done from the start. People would get used to the change much faster.

grogi wrote: »
    It should be done from the start. People would get used to the change much faster.

What change do you mean, the retailers being forced out of Patrick Street or commuters getting even more gridlocked on the remaining routes?

What change do you mean, the retailers being forced out of Patrick Street or commuters getting even more gridlocked on the remaining routes?

Ridiculous hyperbole to be honest. Can you tell us of one retailer who has been "forced" out of Patrick Street in the last 2 weeks? Any comment on the traffic this evening which was fine and moving well. No gridlock today.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

Ridiculous hyperbole to be honest. Can you tell us of one retailer who has been "forced" out of Patrick Street
    Owner of a Chinese restaurant on the Echo saying he would be forced out of business if cars can't drive up Patrick Street and park outside his place while they are collecting their take away Chinese meals.

Ridiculous hyperbole to be honest. Can you tell us of one retailer who has been "forced" out of Patrick Street in the last 2 weeks? Any comment on the traffic this evening which was fine and moving well. No gridlock today.

I was replying to the suggestion that Patrick street should be completely closed to cars at all times which I would think would persuade quite a few retailers to reconsider trading there.

Schools are still off so sticking with my opinion evening gridlock will get worse when the Easter holidays are over.

• Advertisement

nostro wrote: »
    Owner of a Chinese restaurant on the Echo saying he would be forced out of business if cars can't drive up Patrick Street and park outside his place while they are collecting their take away Chinese meals.

Where do these cars park up on Patrick Street when they're collecting their food? Zero spaces outside that restaurant unless they are parking illegally in loading bays or bus stops so I'm curious to know where they park?

Advertisement