Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's short sightedness on city halls behalf,went in Fri to park for the ccfc/Waterford match,took 40 from bishopstown,stuck in pans 15 m, fcuking joke,was beginning to panic,,,what got to me was how quiet town was, Pana was dead,vv little footfall,like an early Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

macraignil wrote: »
    Me and a number of other people working in the same department and I'm sure many more I don't know. I have no problem with promoting public transport but outlawing the use of private transport is too extreme a measure in my opinion.

Outlawing the use of private transport ? Who's doing that?

I'm still baffled by all this drama about not being able to drive down ONE street!

If I ever drive into city centre I would tend to skirt around the centre, whether I was trying to park or just traversing the city. I can't think of an example where i would have no choice but to drive on Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's short sightedness on city halls behalf,went in Fri to park for the ccfc/Waterford match,took 40 from bishopstown,stuck in pans 15 m, fcuking joke,was beginning to panic,,,what got to me was how quiet town was, Pana was dead,vv little footfall,like an early Sunday morning

What does stuck in pans mean? Also what match was that? City were away last night to Waterford and it wasn't on TV.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What does stuck in pans mean? Also what match was that? City were away last night to Waterford and it wasn't on TV.

I presume Pana. To get one of the supporters buses at Patrick's Quay?

But again, if I was making my way to Patrick's Quay I wouldn't expect to park right on Patrick's Quay. I'd be parking outside the City centre.

Mardyke wrote: »
    I presume Pana. To get one of the supporters buses at Patrick's Quay?

But again, if I was making my way to Patrick's Quay I wouldn't expect to park right on Patrick's Quay. I'd be parking outside the City centre.

Stuck on Pana would indicate that he was driving on Patrick Street outside the restricted time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

Frostybrew wrote: »
    There's not enough road space to facilitate everyone commuting to work in their own cars.

I agree with what your saying. That's one of the reasons I would never suggest banning buses or bicycles from Patrick street.

Can you understand that some people are not able to make their journey by bicycle or bus?

I think there needs also to be some acceptance that some people need to use private cars to get to and from work in a reasonable amount of time.

I think the traders in the city centre that pay the rates that keep the city services working should be calling for more free short term parking/set down spaces to be made available instead of turning over more and more of the city centre to the small number of tourists who use those rental bikes to see the city and the deliveroo cyclists who seem to want to get run over by breaking every rule of the road invented.

In my experience the buses were always getting delayed more on the quays than on Patrick street itself so adding to the gridlock there with the changes to Patrick street will make things worse for buses as well.

macraignil wrote: »
    I agree with what your saying. That's one of the reasons I would never suggest banning buses or bicycles from Patrick street.

Can you understand that some people are not able to make their journey by bicycle or bus?

I think there needs also to be some acceptance that some people need to use private cars to get to and from work in a reasonable amount of time.

I think the traders in the city centre that pay the rates that keep the city services working should be calling for more free short term parking/set down spaces to be made available instead of turning over more and more of the city centre to the small number of tourists who use those rental bikes to see the city and the deliveroo cyclists who seem to want to get run over by breaking every rule of the road invented.

In my experience the buses were always getting delayed more on the quays than on Patrick street itself so adding to the gridlock there with the changes to Patrick street will make things worse for buses as well.

They make up a tiny percentage of bike users in Cork. There are over 10,000 annual subscribers to the bike scheme in Cork who aren't tourists with c.300,000 trips annually. That's a huge number that shouldn't be ignored. Bikes and public transport are a much more efficient means of transport than cars. Also the is no such thing as providing something for free like more car parking. Someone has to pay for it.

fin12 wrote: »

Should've been done years ago. That bus stop is a joke as the bus has to stop in the middle of a busy lane of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Should've been done years ago. That bus stop is a joke as the bus has to stop in the middle of a busy lane of traffic.

They should get rid so of the bus stops along Wilton road so as they stop in the middle of busy lanes of traffic.

• Advertisement

They should get rid so of the bus stops along Wilton road so as they stop in the middle of busy lanes of traffic.

:confused: Inbound is a bus lane so why would you close them?? :confused:

Outbound is mostly alighting stops which are much quicker than a loading stop like Lavitts Quay. Because of the need to interact with the driver to pay fares in Cork and as most people still use cash instead of the much cheaper Leap card alternative, dwell times at stops like Lavitts Quay are ridiculously long. Completely different circumstances to Wilton Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

:confused: Inbound is a bus lane so why would you close them?? :confused:

Outbound is mostly alighting stops which are much quicker than a loading stop like Lavitts Quay. Because of the need to interact with the driver to pay fares in Cork and as most people still use cash instead of the much cheaper Leap card alternative, dwell times at stops like Lavitts Quay are ridiculously long. Completely different circumstances to Wilton Rs.

I’m not getting into debate with you whether you think a bus stop should,d have been got rid of years ago, I highlighted that article as it is clearly highlighting the closure of Patrick Street is affecting traffic in other areas. I don’t give two sh*ts whether you think a certain bus stop should have been removed years ago.

I’m not getting into debate with you whether you think a bus stop should,d have been got rid of years ago, I highlighted that article as it is clearly highlighting the closure of Patrick Street is affecting traffic in other areas. I don’t give two sh*ts whether you think a certain bus stop should have been removed years ago.

Ooooh....tetchy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nobody gives a flying shîte what you think about bus stops in Wilton. Nothing to do with this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also, the footpath there is too small to accommodate people waiting for the bus and passing pedestrians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MeName

EnzoScifo wrote: »

If they are going to ban cars they should have included taxis too while they were at it. The only time they respect speed limits is when a private car or bus in front of them prevents them speeding.

Maybe keep the rank by the Fr. Matthew Statue that can be accessed via Perry St. One of the worst effects on the atmosphere on Oliver Plunkett St in the evenings and night is taxi drivers (and dumb boy racers) driving down the street competing for limited space with pedestrians.

As Patrick St develops and footfall grows in the next 10 years with this car free environment I can only imagine taxis will be the most annoying thing pedestrians encounter on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

MeName wrote: »
    If they are going to ban cars they should have included taxis too while they were at it. The only time they respect speed limits is when a private car or bus in front of them prevents them speeding.

That certainly doesn't chime with my observations. I'm a Coke Zero Bikes user, so you'd expect taxi drivers to be my natural enemy, however, I've found them much more relaxed on Patrick Street since the ban was put in place. Not only have I not experienced any major speeding, but they now actually give cyclists ample room. I guess it has to do with cyclists, and other road users being much easier to see now that there's no trucks, vans, tourist coaches, prison vans, etc. blocking the view anymore.

In general, I've found Patrick Street to be a much more relaxed environment during the closures. And that's despite the fact that it was buzzing yesterday afternoon. As far as I'm concerned, roll it out 24/7 right now, with a delivery window in the mornings.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Pana

• Advertisement

Pana
    Was parking up by the train stn, getting the family bus on the quay

Don't want to labour the point but where were you coming from?

I'm just curious what circumstance would necessitate someone to drive Patrick St.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Shoulda got the number 8 or 5. No worries about parking.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Considering we didn't get back till 12.30 ,say number 8 bus was well finished bud

Living in carrigaline do no option but to park n town

Living in carrigaline do no option but to park n town
    Fair enough if you are living in Carrigaline. Thought you were living in Bishopstown. I lived there myself for years. Car didn't budge if I had anything to do in the city.

Living in carrigaline do no option but to park n town goddffff, picked kid up in bishoptown,park as usual by train station,board family bus on the quay,,,oh and I wear size 20 shoes,hope you've enough information there sham,to whet your little inquisitive brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

EnzoScifo wrote: »

There’s a private car parked on the right hand side of that photo. Raises questions.

1. Was that photo take during the ban period or outside it.
    2. If this is during the ban period, can parked private cars leave the area given the street itself is a bus lane.
    3. That is most likely a loading bay?

Living in carrigaline do no option but to park n town goddffff, picked kid up in bishoptown,park as usual by train station,board family bus on the quay,,,oh and I wear size 20 shoes,hope you've enough information there sham,to whet your little inquisitive brain?
    Well you did say you came from Bishopstown. It didn't really paint the picture that you actually came from Carrigaline. I might have more sympathy for your story if you had stated that. Probably driving from Bishopstown to the Kinsale road roundabout and then into town, avoiding pana altogether would have been more efficient use of your time.

• Advertisement

Well you did say you came from Bishopstown. It didn't really paint the picture that you actually came from Carrigaline. I might have more sympathy for your story if you had stated that.
    Ok bud, doesent matter,my initial point was ,it makes Friday driving near town difficult,and trade is down,also I didn't use the link cos I spotted a traffic pile up(crash) on the way in,do all traffic was starting to slow

Advertisement