Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Ok bud, doesent matter,my initial point was ,it makes Friday driving near town difficult,and trade is down,also I didn't use the link cos I spotted a traffic pile up(crash) on the way in,do all traffic was starting to slow
    I think that is the overall aim, making driving through town more difficult, so avoiding it altogether.
    Traffic is a lottery with Kinsale road roundabout, and on Friday with traffic probably heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MeName

thomil wrote: »
    That certainly doesn't chime with my observations. I'm a Coke Zero Bikes user, so you'd expect taxi drivers to be my natural enemy, however, I've found them much more relaxed on Patrick Street since the ban was put in place. Not only have I not experienced any major speeding, but they now actually give cyclists ample room. I guess it has to do with cyclists, and other road users being much easier to see now that there's no trucks, vans, tourist coaches, prison vans, etc. blocking the view anymore.

In general, I've found Patrick Street to be a much more relaxed environment during the closures. And that's despite the fact that it was buzzing yesterday afternoon. As far as I'm concerned, roll it out 24/7 right now, with a delivery window in the mornings.

That's good to hear. I definitely think 24 periods should be trialed during the Summer months, wouldn't be so sure about Winter yet. Alot could be done with the space during good weather if given a chance.

I think we wont be able to fully judge congestion until the city council goes ahead with modifying the road layout.

With the future plans for the North Ring Road (hopefully) and Dunkettle upgrade it's time the city centre in particular becomes more pedestrian and cyclist friendly as the need to traverse through the city without stopping dwindles. Hopefully even reducing the commute time of private cars going too and from the city centre some time in the coming decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

macraignil wrote: »
    Me and a number of other people working in the same department and I'm sure many more I don't know. I have no problem with promoting public transport but outlawing the use of private transport is too extreme a measure in my opinion.

I'm not getting you. How is it that a suburb to city centre journey is not facilitated by public transport?

It's short sightedness on city halls behalf,went in Fri to park for the ccfc/Waterford match,took 40 from bishopstown,stuck in pans 15 m, fcuking joke,was beginning to panic,,,what got to me was how quiet town was, Pana was dead,vv little footfall,like an early Sunday morning

It's not short sighted. Short sited would be if the space was assigned to private cars and bus frequency and journey time was allowed to continue to deteriorate. This measure has improved bus services by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

cgcsb wrote: »
    I'm not getting you. How is it that a suburb to city centre journey is not facilitated by public transport?

You see public transport won't drop that poster to the door of their workplace and their girlfriend refuses to walk anywhere because of the chance of rain so driving to their workplace is the only option.

• Advertisement

You see public transport won't drop that poster to the door of their workplace and their girlfriend refuses to walk anywhere because of the chance of rain so driving to their workplace is the only option.

I thought so. Saying that you don't have access to public transport is very different from saying you don't want to use public transport and as a result everyone else has to breath in and accommodate you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's short sightedness on city halls behalf,went in Fri to park for the ccfc/Waterford match,took 40 from bishopstown,stuck in pans 15 m, fcuking joke,was beginning to panic,,,what got to me was how quiet town was, Pana was dead,vv little footfall,like an early Sunday morning

It's not short sighted. Short sited would be if the space was assigned to private cars and bus frequency and journey time was allowed to continue to deteriorate. This measure has improved bus services by all accounts.
    Improved bus services my arse,where have u been the last 6 months,bus services have been highlighted of late on 96,red FM,echo,city council etc,etc,bus services have gone bad ,even the bus unions agree,or maybe they're all wrong and your right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

Thanks for discussing my personal commuting circumstances with such lack of knowledge. Just to clarify what I have already said. I work in the city centre. I don't live in a suburb. I do not drive to the door of my workplace but to the nearest multistory parking where we pay a monthly parking fee arranged by our workplace. Patrick street was at times the most efficient way to get to work and return home which is miles from any bus route.

The journey has been made longer since the change in the traffic system in recent times and the schools are due back next week which I expect will make the gridlock worse. There are a number of people I work with who live outside the city in places not served by public transport. I think gridlock being created by this change to Patrick street, on the quays, will also make problems for public transport, as proven already by the removal of a bus stop from Levitt's quay. Can you understand that some people do not live in a suburbs and some people at times can not use public transport?

Seriously ignorant remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

Improved bus services my arse,where have u been the last 6 months,bus services have been highlighted of late on 96,red FM,echo,city council etc,etc,bus services have gone bad ,even the bus unions agree,or maybe they're all wrong and your right?

Cut out your melodramatic antics! I regularly use the 220 and 220X, two of the bus lines affected. Yes, things are not running smoothly, but then again, they're nowhere near as dire as its shown in the media. To be fair, the people in this city tend to be crybabies, especially the "characters" that tend to call into radio shows, overexaggerating the smallest things into major catastrophes. Deutsche Bahn is worse with regards to trains being delayed or not showing up at all, to be honest. And YES, I AM in a position to compare, I used Deutsche Bahn EVERY SINGLE DAY when I worked in Frankfurt! So get a grip on reality, kiddo.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Seriously ignorant remark.

How so?
    It's is pretty much exactly what you said when offered alternatives to your current means of getting to work.
    I didn't pull it from the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm loving the "positivity" of this thread.

I lived in Cork for a while and the traffic was always total mayhem. Buses took forever to traverse the city too. But anyway, I hope it all works out for ye. I can see Pana being pedestrianised in a few years, it is a model "plaza" really.

I can't help reading the posts in a Cork accent bhoy. I really miss that city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

How so?
    It's is pretty much exactly what you said when offered alternatives to your current means of getting to work.
    You pulled it out of somewhere alright.
    You could have quoted him exactly rather the manner you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Between this thread and the Douglas planning thread, this place has gone to the dogs lately. Constant bickering. The common denominator in the 2 threads is traffic....seems to really make people mad.

How so?

Between her job and work on the farm the girlfriend walks between ten and fifteen kilometers most days according to the pedometer on her phone. By saying she refuses to walk anywhere is ignorant. She actually is getting pain in her feet from the amount of time she has to spend on her feet recently and you are the authority to try saying how she should make her way to work. I don't understand who gave you this authority or ignorance of other people's situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Between her job and work on the farm the girlfriend walks between ten and fifteen kilometers most days according to the pedometer on her phone. By saying she refuses to walk anywhere is ignorant. She actually is getting pain in her feet from the amount of time she has to spend on her feet recently and you are the authority to try saying how she should make her way to work. I don't understand who gave you this authority or ignorance of other people's situation.

But all they can think about is there will be one less car in the city center so happy days. Ignorance beyond believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

fin12 wrote: »
    But all they can think about is there will be one less car in the city center so happy days. Ignorance beyond believe.
    While I think they make their argument in an (overly at times) aggressive manner, with little consideration to those who don't have easy access to public transport or alternative options that make more sense than a car, the wider topic is what the City Center should be.

That's why I'm for this change to see how it works out. The city center is small. When you look at the map, funneling traffic away from Patricks St, onto South Mall and down the Quay isn't a bad idea. It allows the buses to operate smoother (until they exit the street at least), reduces the noise levels in the heart of the city, and just changes the mentality a little that it's all about the car.
    Now, they still have a lot of work to do. Making the change is easy, but they still need to ensure that they improve public transport, that the traffic lights get people exiting the city in an improved manner, and push/influence for a North Ring to actually reduce the level of traffic that enters the city center just to exit the other side.

Unfortunately, traffic-wise, I don't see it improving anything soon; for any commuter. It's also a sign that the economy has picked up. I was working in Ringaskiddy when the crash occurred, and 12 months later the reduction in traffic was incredible. It's a tradeoff that occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

fin12 wrote: »

I understand you might not like that your particular case got worse...

But planning is about averages - and majority of people do benefit from reduced traffic/bus journeys times in the city centre.

Thanks for discussing my personal commuting circumstances with such lack of knowledge. Just to clarify what I have already said. I work in the city centre. I don't live in a suburb. I do not drive to the door of my workplace but to the nearest multistory parking where we pay a monthly parking fee arranged by our workplace. Patrick street was at times the most efficient way to get to work and return home which is miles from any bus route.

The journey has been made longer since the change in the traffic system in recent times and the schools are due back next week which I expect will make the gridlock worse. There are a number of people I work with who live outside the city in places not served by public transport. I think gridlock being created by this change to Patrick street, on the quays, will also make problems for public transport, as proven already by the removal of a bus stop from Levitt's quay. Can you understand that some people do not live in a suburbs and some people at times can not use public transport?

So you are travelling from a rural area with no public transport and going to Cork City Centre. Hmm, well thats never happened before, I give up. Seriously though have you considered that there are tens of thousands people who live in rural areas in the east of the country and still manage to arrive in Dublin City centre by public transport? It's about behavioural change, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

There are a number of people I work with who live outside the city in places not served by public transport.

The prevalence of one off housing in rural areas is a planning issue that should have been remedied years ago. It has a huge knock on effect to traffic in the city. AFAIK it is now much harder to build one off if you're not local these days, but the damage is done.

As far as I'm concerned if you made the choice to isolate yourself then the rest of society shouldn't have to bend over backwards for your own particular needs.
    I think gridlock being created by this change to Patrick street, on the quays, will also make problems for public transport, as proven already by the removal of a bus stop from Levitt's quay. Can you understand that some people do not live in a suburbs and some people at times can not use public transport?

The removal of the stop on Lavitts quay is a plus for public transport in Cork. Should have been removed years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

Having been initially unsure about this I walked around Patrick Street during the ban hours and I think it is the way forward. The street is much nicer, you can hear music in the street instead of just traffic and people are more relaxed.

I dont see why people have such a critical attitude of changes made by employees who without doubt spent more time and effort researching the trade offs with regards to a change. However, people should be allowed live in a one off house if they want and the fees they pay are huge for doing it. One off housing isnt the cause of bad traffic, its poor transport, the majority of people living less than 5km from their work drive in the car, thats not one off housing, that's bad public transport. I live in wilton and drive to the airport business park because there is no direct bus service and the cycling is a death trap.

The problem is lack of investment in infrastructure such as cycle lanes, bus lanes, wider roads and rail links

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

fiload wrote: »
    Having been initially unsure about this I walked around Patrick Street during the ban hours and I think it is the way forward. The street is much nicer, you can hear music in the street instead of just traffic and people are more relaxed.

I dont see why people have such a critical attitude of changes made by employees who without doubt spent more time and effort researching the trade offs with regards to a change. However, people should be allowed live in a one off house if they want and the fees they pay are huge for doing it. One off housing isnt the cause of bad traffic, its poor transport, the majority of people living less than 5km from their work drive in the car, thats not one off housing, that's bad public transport. I live in wilton and drive to the airport business park because there is no direct bus service and the cycling is a death trap.

The problem is lack of investment in infrastructure such as cycle lanes, bus lanes, wider roads and rail links

It is simply impossible to run a functioning public transport route to dispersed housing in rural areas. The fact that these people have to drive to work and the kids to school simply adds to the already heavy rush hour traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

fiload wrote: »

I agree, I was there last week and it seemed so pleasant to walk around and encouraged me to stick about a bit longer and browse around the shops. I also am in agreement in better public transport and cycling infrastructure has to come.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-city-businesses-face-extinction-if-parking-not-solved-traders-warn-1.3455437?mode=amp

I was just reading this article from the Irish times today. Some people just don't like change, even if the most likely outlook will be more beneficial to them.

"Bookshop owner, Joan Lucey of Vibes and Scribes said traders needed Cork City Council to come back to traders with specific proposals on how to address the parking problem by a certain date and Mr Joyce promised to raise their concern with Cork City Council Chief Executive Ann Doherty. "
    Surely a bookshop owner should be encouraging more custom from passing pedestrians. For starters, if your target market is people that drive that cant actually read on their commute, your business plan is wrong. It would be interesting to know the percentage of their customers actually drive to use their shop in comparison to passer-bys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I agree, I was there last week and it seemed so pleasant to walk around and encouraged me to stick about a bit longer and browse around the shops. I also am in agreement in better public transport and cycling infrastructure has to come.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-city-businesses-face-extinction-if-parking-not-solved-traders-warn-1.3455437?mode=amp

I was just reading this article from the Irish times today. Some people just don't like change, even if the most likely outlook will be more beneficial to them.

"Bookshop owner, Joan Lucey of Vibes and Scribes said traders needed Cork City Council to come back to traders with specific proposals on how to address the parking problem by a certain date and Mr Joyce promised to raise their concern with Cork City Council Chief Executive Ann Doherty. "
    Surely a bookshop owner should be encouraging more custom from passing pedestrians. For starters, if your target market is people that drive that cant actually read on their commute, your business plan is wrong. It would be interesting to know the percentage of their customers actually drive to use their shop in comparison to passer-bys etc.

This quote in the article is priceless:

Household Linens trader never seen ‘anyone on a bike coming in to buy a pair of pillows’ :pac:

They're talking about a loss of 115 spaces. At this very moment there are 1,380 empty spaces in the city centre multistoreys plus another 493 in the Black Ash (data.corkcity.ie). Not to mention all the street parking. Mountain out of the proverbial molehill. On Friday afternoon there were nearly 1,000 free spaces. It's nearly getting to the point I wouldn't bother shopping in any of the shops where the owners have done nothing but complain. Getting tiresome. Reminds me of all the traders who complained about the pedestrianisation of OPS back in the day. Moaning for the sake of moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Household Linens trader never seen ‘anyone on a bike coming in to buy a pair of pillows’ :pac:

I know yeh ridicilous.. I wonder if they have seen them buy one pillow or even 2 pairs .They also must be in the habit of following every customer out of the store to spy on how they travelled to the shop.. stalkers as well as anything else :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Now with the schools reopened after the Easter holidays it will be interesting to see how it affects the traffic flow from this evening onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MeName

Reduction in the the ability to put up a €2 disc near a store and pop in and out of a store is disadvantageous to businesses currently. Going into a multistory car park to then walk out to vibes and scribes isnt ideal. Maybe the disc system needs to be scrapped in the city centre or work alongside a meter system to ensure quick turnover of spaces and encourage people who need parking for longer to use park and rides or multistory car parks and stop the ability to simple swap discs every 1 or 2 hours.

I know one business located near the courthouse which typically has 4 people running out and changing discs every 2 hours. What a waste of 4 premium spaces during trading hours.

Anyone staying in the city for more than an hour should either be parking a few minutes walk away or in a multistory car park. Workers should be in private spaces or using the park and ride.

But parking spaces and car restrictions on road use are two completely different issues for traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nostro

MeName wrote: »

I know one business located near the courthouse which typically has 4 people running out and changing discs every 2 hours. What a waste of 4 premium spaces during trading hours.
    Even though North Main Street. Car park which is mostly empty charges €25 per week and is five mins walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

MeName wrote: »
    Reduction in the the ability to put up a €2 disc near a store and pop in and out of a store is disadvantageous to businesses currently. Going into a multistory car park to then walk out to vibes and scribes isnt ideal.

Paul St and North Main Street multistoreys are virtually next door to vibes and scribes whereas there is no on street parking on Lavitts Quay at all near that shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Paul St and North Main Street multistoreys are virtually next door to vibes and scribes whereas there is no on street parking on Lavitts Quay at all near that shop.

Exactly. Parking should happen in multi-storey parking, not in the streets. Nothing uglier than parked cars.

Advertisement