Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be fair it's only between 3pm and 6pm. I'm sure you, much like most other companies, can arrange the deliveries be done outside those hours.

I’m not a delivery driver tho. I attend to breakdowns. I think banning cars is enough with out the need to ban commercial vans but sure I guess we’ll see Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

namloc1980 wrote: »
    How do they manage in pedestrian zones all over the world? Grafton Street in Dublin for instance or even Oliver Plunkett Street in Cork?

To be fair, in Oliver Plunkett Street they manage by driving up there whenever they want anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

To be fair, in Oliver Plunkett Street they manage by driving up there whenever they want anyways
    Commercial vehicles have access when the barriers are up? I frequent the City a lot less than I previously would have, so not fully aware of the OP Street access.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Good, about time. Sick and tired of almost being run over outside the awkward intersection outside Dealz/Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Jlayay wrote: »
    Good, about time. Sick and tired of almost being run over outside the awkward intersection outside Dealz/Argos.

will that section not be busier as cars won't be going down the street? Im not sure of the exact layout of the new boundaries and where you can and can't drive.

• Advertisement

How do they pass the barriers?

Already covered above, but you should check the new traffic “diversion”. Expect a serious increase in the number of vehicles passing outside Dealz/Argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mmmmmmmmm you mean the road outside deals? The road that’s for cars to drive on? It’s not a footpath! I’d suggest you look and check for oncoming traffic in future to avoid “almost” been run over

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Augeo wrote: »
    How do they pass the barriers?
    Go the wrong way up the exit streets...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheChizler wrote: »
    Go the wrong way up the exit streets...

Breaking the law. Great.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Breaking the law. Great.
    Just saying what I see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

You often see cars parked facing the wrong way on the side streets off oliver plunkett st.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

TheChizler wrote: »
    I presume this has something to do with the bus lane which has replaced the left lane heading East on Washington Street?

They have also extended the bus lane on merchants quay up to the lights at the junction with Patrick st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Mmmmmmmmm you mean the road outside deals? The road that’s for cars to drive on? It’s not a footpath! I’d suggest you look and check for oncoming traffic in future to avoid “almost” been run over

I believe it's actually a pedestrian priority zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

MrMac84 wrote: »
    I’m not a delivery driver tho. I attend to breakdowns. I think banning cars is enough with out the need to ban commercial vans but sure I guess we’ll see Tuesday

Maybe they can arrange to have breakdowns outside of these hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What about motorcycles? I frequently use the motorcycle parking spots on Patrick Street.

There are two motorcycle only spots on Patrick st so imagine being able to park your motorcycle or scooter (free of charge) on Patrick st and then coming back to your bike between 3.00 and 6.30?? It doesn't make much sense when the street isn't being pedestrianised or barriers employed. I think motorcycles might get exempted if enough noise were made. I'll be following this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The street outside Argos/Dealz is indeed pedestrian priority, not that you'd know.
    40992912612_fcd07eff0f_z.jpg

to be fair, the only sign is very hard to see.
    40983987672_22c2cf23b9_c.jpg

and the new bus lane, active from 15:00 to 18:30, according to the road markings. I didn't see any signs for it at all, I imagine they'll be installed soon.
    39225657950_8406fe2902_c.jpg

deRanged wrote: »
    the new bus lane, active from 15:00 to 18:30, according to the road markings. I didn't see any signs for it at all, I imagine they'll be installed soon.
    39225657950_8406fe2902_c.jpg
    Thanks for the pics.

I guess if that is a bus lane only from 3pm, then no cars will be turning left at Finns Corner, so there may be even less traffic passing by Dealz (just cars coming from the Grand Parade side)?

I hope they have the lights at that junction re-programmed from 3pm as well. They're be far less traffic coming from Patrick St going to Grand Parade/Washington St; and a lot more going from Washington St onto South Mall.

deRanged wrote: »
    to be fair, the only sign is very hard to see......]

Hard to miss it surely for motorists. If you think that's hard to see you shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Well the map says you can turn left from Washington street to Daunts square :confused:
    So it's already a WHF info release

Sorry
    Can't upload it (map) , but its on this original link.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-city-car-ban-a-recipe-for-disaster-833706.html

That will be fun if you can turn left from the center of (road) Washington street.
    Formally the lane for right turns onto Grand Parade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Augeo wrote: »
    Hard to miss it surely for motorists. If you think that's hard to see you shouldn't be driving.

Yeah right. :rolleyes:
    It's fcuking tiny and doesn't stand out from all the background clutter.

'Pedestrian priority' is a bit meaningless anyway.

Yeah right. :rolleyes:
    It's fcuking tiny and doesn't stand out from all the background clutter.

'Pedestrian priority' is a bit meaningless anyway.
    And it's seems to be setup for pedestrians more than motorists; it is turned away from the driver, towards the footpath.
    That is far from hard to miss. If you don't know the area, you are more than likely going to miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Isn't the whole city centre pretty much pedestrian priority anyway? ;) It'd be more sign-worthy if you had a stretch of road where pedestrians DON'T just walk out in front of traffic.

Is there any sign for the restriction on Washington St/ Grand Parade junction? The on-street markings aren't very visible in heavy traffic.

And it's seems to be setup for pedestrians more than motorists; it is turned away from the driver, towards the footpath.
    That is far from hard to miss. If you don't know the area, you are more than likely going to miss it.

It's clearly turned towards motorists who are driving down the pedestrian priority road, it's turned away from motorists driving on Patrick Street :)

Miss that and you shouldn't be driving. As we all know many folk on the road are appalling at driving.

40992912612_fcd07eff0f_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Passed through this evening and it's made the traffic situation considerably worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

smurgen wrote: »
    Passed through this evening and it's made the traffic situation considerably worse

That's probably the idea, like up in Dublin. Then they'll claim traffic is so bad they have to shut down other streets to cars. Then they'll bring in a charge for cars. Then they'll award themselves a pay increase :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Local traders not happy I see Gardai turning cars away this afternoon Check out @fiona96fmnews’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/fiona96fmnews/status/978649222085009408?s=09

smurgen wrote: »
    Should gradually improve as people become aware and reroute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Local traders not happy I see Gardai turning cars away this afternoon Check out @fiona96fmnews’;s Tweet: https://twitter.com/fiona96fmnews/status/978649222085009408?s=09

Local traders against making shopping street more friendly to pedestrian shoppers.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,594 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Lads in Rising Sons handing out pizza to drivers stuck in traffic: https://twitter.com/RisingSONSCork/status/978683690183221248

Advertisement