Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I believe there is currently an issue with having the cameras, think it was stated earlier in the thread.

Is it their job to enforce this ban? Obviously they should penalized people breaking the law, but do we really need to waste at least 25hrs of Gardai resources a week on this?
    We don't have Gardai at every set of traffic lights, t-junction, level crossing, roundabout.....
    This shouldn't require Gardai to baby sit a street had it been implemented correctly.

We don't seem to have Gardai at all patrolling the city centre. At least I never see them..

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

implemented correctly.

I probably shouldn't feed the animals but go on... tell us how it should have been implemented!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

TheChizler wrote: »
    I'd find that very amusing.

Its an accident waiting to happen! Be it a motorist or cyclist, someone would definitely get caught. Camera is the best method. Look at M50 toll gate. Thousands of cars pass here everyday and it works a treat. It's a absolute pain in the arse when you get caught but get caught once and lesson is learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

retractable bollards are also prone to mechanical failure. Cameras and heavy fines are the way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

cgcsb wrote: »
    Cameras and heavy fines are the way forward.
    True, but unlikely to happen. I don't think the will is there amongst City officials to enforce the ban. Easy to pass a piece of paper, but actually providing finances to enforce it, different story. Bit like when the drink limit is constantly edged downwards, but no extra resources to enforce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The fact grown adults have to be monitored to make sure they don't drive where they shouldn't says a lot about personal responsibility. The cycle lanes on Alfred Street is another. Clearly says "no parking / cycle lane only" and the place is rammed with parked cars most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's a cultural thing, related to Catholicism and a generally pragmatic attitude to the rules. Observe the double yellow lines in most towns at mass time on a Sunday for example. Spain used to be like this but seems to have moved on quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing, related to Catholicism and a generally pragmatic attitude to the rules. Observe the double yellow lines in most towns at mass time on a Sunday for example. Spain used to be like this but seems to have moved on quite a bit.
    I've seen it in Spain, France and Germany as well in recent times. It's just the way people behave, be it in a car, on a bike or walking. People will take shortcuts if there isn't enforcement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

True, but unlikely to happen. I don't think the will is there amongst City officials to enforce the ban. Easy to pass a piece of paper, but actually providing finances to enforce it, different story..
    Exactly. There is no will or desire in City Hall for the ban to succeed. If there was the practicalities of enforcement would not be that difficult. The ban has failed and been abandoned. And I think that was always the intention.

A few easy practical steps that could have been taken but deliberately weren't.
    1: A lot of cars use Academy Street to drive onto Patrick Street during the ban hours. Simply block access for cars.
    2 Put up a sign to discourage cars from using Washington Street bus lane to turn left onto Patrick Street during ban hours.
    3 Block off car access to Daunt Square and Paul street pedestrian priority zone from Patrick Street during ban hours.
    4 Allow Gardai to issue occasional fines.

Of course none of this will happen because there is no intention of enforcing the ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why not say they've abandoned every bus lane in the city, seeing as that seems to be the level of enforcement being applied? I don't see anyone making up any claims about the bus lane on the Wilton Road, or the one on Skehard Road. Why would this be any different? As long as traffic largely obeys the rules, and I have seen no indication that the majority of cars are ignoring it, and overall bus delays are reduced, then what's the problem (from City Hall's point of view)?

Apart from the initial bit of publicity and extra enforcement, the Gardaí seem to be treating this no way different to the rest of the bus lanes around the city. They're not the Council's private enforcers, they have better things to be doing than to be focused on traffic violations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Magnatu wrote: »
    Exactly. There is no will or desire in City Hall for the ban to succeed. If there was the practicalities of enforcement would not be that difficult. The ban has failed and been abandoned. And I think that was always the intention.

To be clear only the Gardaí can enforce compliance with a bus lane. The council can't. The Gardaí are the only public body empowered to enforce road traffic laws in this country with the express exception of local authority traffic wardens who can only do illegal parking and out of date tax discs.

I believe there is currently an issue with having the cameras, think it was stated earlier in the thread.

Is it their job to enforce this ban? Obviously they should penalized people breaking the law, but do we really need to waste at least 25hrs of Gardai resources a week on this?
    We don't have Gardai at every set of traffic lights, t-junction, level crossing, roundabout.....

There are thousands of guards and council workers in Cork. I find the repeated claims that we do not have the resources to enforce the ban quite ridiculous. This is not a question of resources. It is a question of unwillingness to enforce it. It would take one guard or one council worker to implement this. No more.
    i.e. large numbers of cars drive onto Patrick Street from Academy Street during the ban. Install a retractable barrier or have a council worker put up a portable barrier between 3pm and 6:30pm every day. Simply stop cars from driving onto Patrick Street while the ban is in force. A very easy obvious solution that would significantly reduce the volume of private cars driving through Patrick Street during the ban
    Or
    Have one guard stand on Patrick Street for one hour every day and issue fines to some of the cars ignoring the ban.

Once again please stop saying the failure of the ban is about lack of resources. It's not.
    It's all about a conscious refusal to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

The Garda doesn't even need to spend an hour there...

Have one pass by during the ban time and lash out as many tickets as he/she can in 10 mins. Vary the time over the course of a few weeks.

People will soon cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Apologies for the stupid question and the laziness on my behalf in not looking back a number of pages for the answer but is the car ban in place again and during which designated hours?

I'm asking cos I drove up Patrick St a few weeks ago at around 2.45pm and didnt see any signs etc saying that I shouldnt.

BPKS wrote: »
    Apologies for the stupid question and the laziness on my behalf in not looking back a number of pages for the answer but is the car ban in place again and during which designated hours?

I'm asking cos I drove up Patrick St a few weeks ago at around 2.45pm and didnt see any signs etc saying that I shouldnt.
    Not to be smart but they can literally be seen from space :pac::

5nohht.png

(Or at least whatever altitude the Google get their images from)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Explains why I never see spaceships during those hours then

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

5nohht.png

:D

And I'm not being smart but there was a bus in front of me from when I left the Grand Parade Car Park all the way up Patrick St!

Explains why I didnt see the writing on the road.

:D

And I'm not being smart but there was a bus in front of me from when I left the Grand Parade Car Park all the way up Patrick St!

Explains why I didnt see the writing on the road.
    Fair enough. I think there's signposts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

The light change from SOLID green to BUS green between 3 and 6.30 so at that time you wouldn't have been given much visual indication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/articles/more-than-20-new-business-open-since-panaban

Good little piece about businesses opening in Cork City.

I suspect the main opposition to this is taxi drivers. but they are against everything anyway so who cares.

bot43 wrote: »

I suspect the main opposition to this is taxi drivers. but they are against everything anyway so who cares.

Taxi drivers have already secured a full exemption from any restrictions on driving through pedestrian zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Where?

ofcork wrote: »
    Where?

Washington Street last night where the 24 hour cycle lane doubles up as a taxi rank.

Try walking Paul Street and see if you can make it without having to get out of the way of a taxi

Taxis given full exemption from the Panaban.

I suppose they were there long before the cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Washington Street last night where the 24 hour cycle lane doubles up as a taxi rank.

So, not a pedestrianised area. Rather like St. Patrick's Street.

So, not a pedestrianised area. Rather like St. Patrick's Street.

But they are not supposed to use the cycle lanes as taxi ranks which they routinely do. And in my opinion Paul Street should be pedestrianised. They is no rationale for allowing taxis to drive through the pedestrians looking for business.

When was Andersons quay changed coming from elysian can't turn left anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

But they are not supposed to use the cycle lanes as taxi ranks which they routinely do. And in my opinion Paul Street should be pedestrianised. They is no rationale for allowing taxis to drive through the pedestrians looking for business.

Oh 100%. Paul Street should be completely pedestrianised. Ridiculous having cars basically driving through hoards of people. Oliver Plunkett the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Try walking Paul Street and see if you can make it without having to get out of the way of a taxi

Taxis given full exemption from the Panaban.
    Tweet it at the guards - we can argue about whether that will change anything but they can't claim ignorance on it at least if people put it in front of them and repeatedly at that!

Advertisement