Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pana car ban here to stay

Is that the end of traders negativity? Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Pana car ban here to stay

Is that the end of traders negativity? Probably not.

Thank God. Some sense. They didn't give into a few traders demands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Very interesting analogy with Oliver Plunkett Street below.
    Woman refuses to get out of the way of a car driving through a public park.
    Driver claims correctly that he is perfectly entitled to drive through the park and woman and children should get out of his way.
    Journalist and all the comments side with the driver. Calling the woman a stupid irrational lunatic.

Have felt exactly the same way as that woman walking daytime down Oliver Plunkett Street and having to get out of the way of cars.

But I suspect many on this thread will fully side with driver.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8479554/mum-screams-in-fury-at-motorist-and-refuses-to-move-out-of-his-way-in-ridiculous-row-as-he-drives-through-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Magnatu wrote: »
    Very interesting analogy with Oliver Plunkett Street below.
    Woman refuses to get out of the way of a car driving through a public park.
    Driver claims correctly that he is perfectly entitled to drive through the park and woman and children should get out of his way.
    Journalist and all the comments side with the driver. Calling the woman a stupid irrational lunatic.

Have felt exactly the same way as that woman walking daytime down Oliver Plunkett Street and having to get out of the way of cars.

But I suspect many on this thread will fully side with driver.

There's a difference between relating with somebodys thoughts/feelings on a particular issue, and acting on them illegally. If a car is driving towards me, I tend to get out of the way, if you think the driver is driving illegally then try to flag them down to tell them, if they ignore, take the reg and call the guards - those are the rational steps.

Taking the law into your own hands because you think you're correct isn't the correct course of action here.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What are the rules on Oliver Plunkett St.?

When are cars not supposed to be on there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ofcork wrote: »
    I suppose they were there long before the cycle lane.

And the cycle way was paved under them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Mardyke wrote: »

As far as I know its car free between 10:30am and 4:30pm every day. Open access to vehicles allowed at all other times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

As far as I know its car free between 10:30am and 4:30pm every day. Open access to vehicles allowed at all other times

That's not enforced either. The whole street should be completely pedestrianised IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 BazzFan123

The road surface on Oliver Plunkett Street is a mess and the pavement is extremely outdated, especially the red side. I don't know how this street won that big award a few years ago as it is really unpleasant to walk down. Getting down it in a wheelchair must be awkward with the tight footpaths and being unable to go on the road as a taxi could appear at any minute. Fully block cars off, have it all at one level with high quality paving such as on Parnell Place and clean the buildings. The area around Centra feels like a rundown forgotten village, not the centre of the second biggest city in Ireland currently in a boom. Some greenery would also be nice, such as hanging flower boxes. Also, are the bollards really necessary? They just help make the tight footpath feel even tighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It’s one of the Three secrets of Fatima when and where you can drive in the city.

Extra confusion and complexity draws some people in apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

pwurple wrote: »
    It’s one of the Three secrets of Fatima when and where you can drive in the city.

Extra confusion and complexity draws some people in apparently.

Not that confusing. OP Street is pedestrian priority from 11 - 5. The signs at the entrance to the street kind of give it away.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Not that confusing. OP Street is pedestrian priority from 11 - 5. The signs at the entrance to the street kind of give it away.

And there are bollards at the Parnell place end that presumably become active during the 11 to 5 time?

The problem being (some of) the side streets, where scuts can access without obstruction.

If this is being abused by drivers I really think a camera and reg plate fine system should be so easy to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

There are barriers on Pembroke st and cook st so anyone driving on op st has come down one way streets the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

There are barriers on Pembroke st and cook st so anyone driving on op st has come down one way streets the wrong way.

Cars have full 24 hour access onto Oliver Plunkett Street from Smith Street. Barriers on Pembroke Street were left down daytime last week to allow cars drive onto it from there as well.
    Cars sometimes also drive onto it daytime from Caroline Street when the Maylor Street barriers are left down. Which is regular enough.
    nd have never figured out why all the barriers are put down at 5pm every day. Do cars really need to be driving through the city's busiest pedestrian street every evening.

Smith st is one way towards south mall is it not I don't know if the barriers are left down deliberately or not.

Smith st is one way towards south mall is it not I don't know if the barriers are left down deliberately or not.

Nope. Smith Street is one way onto Oliver Plunkett Street. And it has always been left open for cars.
    If they were serious about reducing cas driving through Oliver Plunkett Street daytime putting a retractable barrier there would make a big difference.
    But they have refused all requests for years to stop letting cars use it to drive onto and through the main pedestrian street in the city.
    Same as they have refused to put a retractable barrier on Academy Street to stop cars using it to drive on to Patrick Street during the ban hours.
    They left the Pembroke Street barriers down for a few months before Christmas. Not sure how long they will let them down for this time.

I thought it was every 2nd st was one way to op st such as Beasley st one way towards op st.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's Smith St. is it not?

https://goo.gl/maps/FbD7R385Z8m

One way to the mall unless you can drive down phoenix st and turn left?

One way to the mall unless you can drive down phoenix st and turn left?
    Which you can't, there's a no entry marking down there and a no left turn sign. Anyone heading down Smith St. to get to Oliver Plunkett is acting illegally.

• Advertisement

Thought that alright although you do see cars parked facing the wrong way on cook/malboro streets esp on sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Nope. Smith Street is one way onto Oliver Plunkett Street. And it has always been left open for cars.
    If they were serious about reducing cas driving through Oliver Plunkett Street daytime putting a retractable barrier there would make a big difference.
    But they have refused all requests for years to stop letting cars use it to drive onto and through the main pedestrian street in the city.
    Same as they have refused to put a retractable barrier on Academy Street to stop cars using it to drive on to Patrick Street during the ban hours.
    They left the Pembroke Street barriers down for a few months before Christmas. Not sure how long they will let them down for this time.

Please stop. It’s just not.

We are going around in circles here.

It’s one way OFF plunkett street onto South Mall. There is a sign showing no left turn there. I love locally, I pass down there 3 or 4 times a week. I have an interest in this thread - Let’s not have another suggestion or the sort again.

Yes people are going down there - but it’s driving down illegally which is what the point of the origanal poster was.

And if you feel I am being harsh, it’s because this is the 3rd time someone’s has suggested Smith street is one way into oliver plunkett street and freely open to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Smith street is blocked from Phoenix Street to the South Mall due to the building works. If someone find themselves at that junction, then they can only turn left, towards Oliver Plunket, until it's reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Smith street is blocked from Phoenix Street to the South Mall due to the building works. If someone find themselves at that junction, then they can only turn left, towards Oliver Plunket, until it's reopened.

Just back from my nightly walk (Soaked)
    Sign still up saying no left turn.

I’m not saying people are not doing driving down.
    And i’m not sure anyone here is questioning that.

I’m saying that it’s illegal if they do according to
    that sign and the historical junction that’s been there years - no left turn.

I actually walked down there today didn't see the no left turn sign unless it was taken down when the street was closed

Google Maps shows the sign alright. It would be unusual for City Council to remove poles/signs considering the hundreds of redundant poles around the city causing obstruction.

flexcon wrote: »
    . I love locally, .

That's nice.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Which you can't, there's a no entry marking down there and a no left turn sign. Anyone heading down Smith St. to get to Oliver Plunkett is acting illegally.
    Please stop. It’s just not.

We are going around in circles here.

It’s one way OFF plunkett street onto South Mall. There is a sign showing no left turn there.

Yes people are going down there - but it’s driving down illegally which is what the point of the origanal poster was.

And if you feel I am being harsh, it’s because this is the 3rd time someone’s has suggested Smith street is one way into oliver plunkett street and freely open to everyone.
    Just back from my nightly walk (Soaked)
    Sign still up saying no left turn.

I’m not saying people are not doing driving down.
    And i’m not sure anyone here is questioning that.

I’m saying that it’s illegal if they do according to
    that sign and the historical junction that’s been there years - no left turn.
    I actually walked down there today didn't see the no left turn sign unless it was taken down when the street was closed
    Google Maps shows the sign alright. It would be unusual for City Council to remove poles/signs considering the hundreds of redundant poles around the city causing obstruction.

Pretty sure that I when I looked there a few weeks ago that that was no sign at the junction but will check again during the week. But smith street to South mall from Phoenix street junction has been blocked for at least a year so as Tin Foil Hat pointed out the cars that drive to end of Phoenix street have no choice but to drive onto Oliver Plunkett Street, irrespective of whether or not that no left turn sign is still there. Google Streetview images are a few years old so irrelevant that it shows on them.

To make it easier for certain people to understand, all those side streets should be closed off to cars.

• Advertisement

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    as Tin Foil Hat pointed out the cars that drive to end of Phoenix street have no choice but to drive onto Oliver Plunkett Street, irrespective of whether or not that no left turn sign is still there. Google Streetview images are a few years old so irrelevant that it shows on them.
    Or you know they could turn back and not break the law. I'm not sure what the relevance is anyway, it's hardly like the majority of vehicles illegally on OP street have found themselves there by mistakenly heading down Phoenix St.

Advertisement