Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

And Alot more driving up and down Patrick st not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Cycled down Patrick St. last Thursday evening @ 5:20. There was not one private car in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

It would be interesting to see factual comparisons, number of vehicles passing down Patrick St before the ban and since the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Mardyke wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see factual comparisons, number of vehicles passing down Patrick St before the ban and since the ban.

Very deliberately and tellingly these figures have not been released. Some people on this forum have postulated that the number of cars driving down Patrick Street between 3:00 and 6:30 is less than before the ban but there is no way to verify this claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Very deliberately and tellingly these figures have not been released. Some people on this forum have postulated that the number of cars driving down Patrick Street between 3:00 and 6:30 is less than before the ban but there is no way to verify this claim.
    Fancy verifying this claim?

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Fancy verifying this claim?

Certainly. Can you point me to where I can find these figure? You seem to be implying that they have been released. I would be very interested in seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Certainly. Can you point me to where I can find these figure? You seem to be implying that they have been released. I would be very interested in seeing them.
    I have no idea if they exist or not. You made the claim that they've been deliberately withheld. Evidence please.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I have no idea if they exist or not. You made the claim that they've been deliberately withheld. Evidence please.

The evidence that they have been deliberately withheld is that they have not been made available.
    I have no way of proving their existence to you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You say they obviously exist. How do you know they exist?
    I've no idea if they exist or not.
    But you are certain they do.
    How is that.
    Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The council have deliberately refused to release the report on coypu activity on Patrick Street during the restricted hours.

The proof of the validity of the above statement is the lack of release of said report.

Why are they deliberately withholding this information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Not sure if it's related but I was in the city centre yesterday lunchtime and I've never seen it so quiet. Maybe it's seasonal, but there didn't seem to be many shoppers, and I passed an amount of cafes, bars and restaurants that had little or no people in them. At lunchtime.

I'd hate to be running a business in the city centre right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Not sure if it's related but I was in the city centre yesterday lunchtime and I've never seen it so quiet. Maybe it's seasonal, but there didn't seem to be many shoppers, and I passed an amount of cafes, bars and restaurants that had little or no people in them. At lunchtime.

You probably noticed the weather swings as well, with occasional hail, right?
    Go there today - we'll see how empty it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Ya I thought the same yesterday it was very quiet. The weather was pretty rotten though. Don’t think it’s like that every day.

Is there an expectation that the city centre should be heaving all day every day? Is that realistic?

Also, people May be confusing the nice car free environment with quiet?

Wasn't expecting it to be heaving, but it wasn't too far from deserted. And despite the inclement weather you'd expect some people around at lunchtime - sure who goes out in Ireland not prepared for some changeable weather? I was looking for somewhere to eat so I particularly noticed all the cafes, bars and restaurants that were empty.

I've never seen the city centre so quiet, and there's likely more than one factor, but I can't help but suspect the biggest change in recent years is the biggest factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

I was in there yesterday and cars were driving down pana at will during the ban time -not a lot of foot fall around shops were deserted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah it's been a very quiet week, the weekend was good though. The weather's been nucking futs though I'd say that's all it is.

Quite few tourists around for this time, normally kicks off Paddy's weekend and climbs pretty steadily.

I do a couple deliveries around Patrick St (on foot) and can't say I agree that cars are just ignoring the ban in any big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

mean gene wrote: »
    I was in there yesterday and cars were driving down pana at will during the ban time -not a lot of foot fall around shops were deserted

We must be looking at 2 different streets then
    A few cars, mostly rented following sat navs seem to be the only ones, bar a few people that simply dont read the signs.

'Driving at will' is a bit if a stretch

Not sure if it's related but I was in the city centre yesterday lunchtime and I've never seen it so quiet.
    I've never seen the city centre so quiet, and there's likely more than one factor, but I can't help but suspect the biggest change in recent years is the biggest factor.

So you are blaming the car ban for the city center being quiet at lunchtime.
    Even though there is no car ban at lunchtime.
    It doesn't come into effect till 3:00pm

Although from my observations there are fewer cars driving through Patrick Street before the ban comes into effect than while the ban is in effect.

Anything lately from John Grace or Susan Ryan?!!

• Advertisement

Although from my observations there are fewer cars driving through Patrick Street before the ban comes into effect than while the ban is in effect.

Kind of makes sense - why would you have a ban at times when it's not needed.
    So you are blaming the car ban for the city center being quiet at lunchtime.
    Even though there is no car ban at lunchtime.

Are you expecting people to make sense? Or to not still be in the city centre at 3pm after being there at lunchtime? I've met an amount of people who've been driving for years who barely know their way around the city centre. I knew one guy who'd lived in Cork for 16 years that when we were going from Grand Parade to McCurtain Street turned around and went down Pana because he didn't know how to get there using the South Mall. I totally believe people would throw their hands in the air and avoid the city centre altogether, rather than learn when and where the ban applies, if it effects them at all, and/or find another route.
    Yeah it's been a very quiet week, the weekend was good though. The weather's been nucking futs though I'd say that's all it is.

Jebus - I thought the weekend was quiet as well. At least from my experience of being out in town Saturday night. Sounds like you're there more than me though.

Where's the data comparing periods from before and after? Cars in/out of the city centre as a whole? Footfall on Pana (and surrounds)? Sales data from shops/cafes/whatever in the city centre? All these things can be influenced by other factors, but might be indicative. Online shopping is getting ever more popular for example - is that having an effect? Could we compare the data to other areas for the same periods to see? I've stated what I suspect the reason might be, though my personal observations, shocking as they were to me, ain't much data.

The street is definitely gone quiet at weekends anyway but the ban is only one part shopping centres and online plus parking are the biggest factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

ofcork wrote: »
    The street is definitely gone quiet at weekends anyway but the ban is only one part shopping centres and online plus parking are the biggest factors.

Absolutely packed in town today, was brilliant seeing everyone out and about. Good weather probably had something to do with it, but I really think the "quietness" around town due to the car ban is highly exaggerated. I can't say I've noticed it and I'm in regularly.

Perception is strange as I was around for an hour from 3.30 or so and the busiest part of the street was the protest!

Deserted again today

But plenty of cars ignored the ban.

Yip what ban??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Is there any way that CCC can have wardens, much like lollipop-ladies (or whatever they are called now), stop and divert traffic to enforce the ban? I was once told by a Garda that you legally have to stop for them, not sure about diversion, but at least the Council could them enforce their own ban (might require some law adjustment -maybe someone could advise).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Is there any way that CCC can have wardens, much like lollipop-ladies (or whatever they are called now), stop and divert traffic to enforce the ban? I was once told by a Garda that you legally have to stop for them, not sure about diversion, but at least the Council could them enforce their own ban (might require some law adjustment -maybe someone could advise).

That would require a small bit of effort on the Councils behalf. Something which is not popular in City Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Only the Gardaí can enforce bus lanes. Council wardens have zero statutory power when it comes to enforcing road traffic laws with the explicit exception of giving out parking tickets and fines for expired motor tax.

Advertisement