Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Patrick street is bus only from Thursday 9th August

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Online shopping is getting ever more popular for example - is that having an effect?
    Debenhams (UK) back in trouble. Wouldn't be surprised to see it replicated here. High rents v online shopping.... it's trending in one direction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Debenhams (UK) back in trouble. Wouldn't be surprised to see it replicated here. High rents v online shopping.... it's trending in one direction.

Didn't Debenham irl become a seperate entity in 2016?
    It's fair fo say rents are the biggest hindrance and it could well come to the stage where businesses are simply priced out if it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Didn't Debenham irl become a seperate entity in 2016?
    Not sure. But not confident it’ll be in much better condition, same supply chain as the UK I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was down yesterday and it seemed busy enough despite bad weather. Ban was widely ignored for the first hour but then the traffic noticeably fell off.

They could do with getting rid of the religious zealots with speaker system halfway up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see RedFM reported that 326 drivers received the €80 fixed charge penalty notice for driving on the bus priority corridor between the 9th of August and Wednesday of this week, something like €26k in fines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

I see RedFM reported that 326 drivers received the €80 fixed charge penalty notice for driving on the bus priority corridor between the 9th of August and Wednesday of this week, something like €26k in fines

That would be a little over one a day. If there is a report and it relates to the Patrick Street bus lane only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Link on that story here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Was down yesterday and it seemed busy enough despite bad weather. Ban was widely ignored for the first hour but then the traffic noticeably fell off.

They could do with getting rid of the religious zealots with speaker system halfway up though.

Yeah. Jeez those guys are annoying. Absolutely shouldn't be allowed, causes a disruption on the street and annoys people.

Yeah. Jeez those guys are annoying. Absolutely shouldn't be allowed, causes a disruption on the street and annoys people.
    Are you referring to the motorists or the Jesus freaks?

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Are you referring to the motorists or the Jesus freaks?

:D the jesus freaks.. Mostly :p

• Advertisement

Cllr Tim Brosnan has welcomed the decision to abandon plans to restrict cars from driving onto Patrick Street from Academy Street during the ban hours. According to the councilor to do so might inconvenience cars with blue disabled stickers that would like to continue using this as an access road to drive through Patrick Street during the ban hours.

“Equality for disabled people means equality of access

“I believe disabled people have a constitutional right to access the street and should not be forbidden by law.

“There is a problem with the national legislation on bus corridors which is discriminating against disabled people who want to shop or be dropped off at Patrick Street"

Cllr Tim Brosnan

“Equality for disabled people means equality of access

“I believe disabled people have a constitutional right to access the street and should not be forbidden by law.

“There is a problem with the national legislation on bus corridors which is discriminating against disabled people who want to shop or be dropped off at Patrick Street"

Cllr Tim Brosnan

So why not allow those with a permit to use the street? Hardly makes sense to scrap the plans altogether.

So why not allow those with a permit to use the street? Hardly makes sense to scrap the plans altogether.

Because putting a barrier at the junction of Academy Street and Patrick Street that would have been up during the ban would also block all the taxis and disabled drivers that want to use Academy Street to drive through Patrick Street during the ban time.
    So no barrier to be put up and all cars will continue to be allowed to drive onto Patrick Street from Academy Street during the ban time.

And as Cllr Brosnan has noted motorists with disabled stickers have a constitutional right to drive through pedestrianised areas without impediment.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

This is an absolute shambles.

Passed by Daunt Square a few times between 4 and 5pm today and cars going up and down Patrick St like there was no ban.

A police car was pulled in by the bus stop outside Argos at one point and did nothing when a few cars went off down Patrick St. Absolute brass neck from the drivers of those cars.

If the police and Council are not going to do anything, what can civilians do? I've taken to walking on the road and confronting cars that are breaking the law, but it's unpleasant.

I know there was a protest last week but it seems to have had no effect.

It's infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Mardyke wrote: »
    This is an absolute shambles.

Passed by Daunt Square a few times between 4 and 5pm today and cars going up and down Patrick St like there was no ban.

A police car was pulled in by the bus stop outside Argos at one point and did nothing when a few cars went off down Patrick St. Absolute brass neck from the drivers of those cars.

If the police and Council are not going to do anything, what can civilians do? I've taken to walking on the road and confronting cars that are breaking the law, but it's unpleasant.

I know there was a protest last week but it seems to have had no effect.

It's infuriating.

There’s no car ban on sundays - it’s Monday to Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Yes there is it's seven days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

ofcork wrote: »
    Yes there is it's seven days a week.

Bus lanes are not 7 days a week - only mon to fri/sat

*edit - my apologies. It says 7 days in the link in the OP

And as mardyke said it's being ignored more at the weekend.

The protest was ineffective. Gardai in fact intervened and threatened to arrest the protesters that were stopping cars from driving onto the street during the ban hours. Many motorists had the reasonable assumption that the ban had been long abondoned. Gardai also released figures showing that they have been issuing approx one fine per week.

• Advertisement

From what I saw the guards were supporting the protest.

From what I saw the guards were supporting the protest.

There was actually a large Garda presence on Patrick Street today to ensure cars were able to drive through Patrick Street without impediment.
    Several videos on Twitter showing this.
    Protesters were warned last weekend that any further attempt to stop cars using Patrick Street during the ban would result in arrests.

There was actually a large Garda presence on Patrick Street today to ensure cars were able to drive through Patrick Street without impediment.
    Several videos on Twitter showing this.
    Protesters were warned last weekend that any further attempt to stop cars using Patrick Street during the ban would result in arrests.

That's rubbish. And you know full well it is.

Mardyke wrote: »
    That's rubbish. And you know full well it is.

Just one example @noonanjoe had posted a pic on Twitter showing a Garda car and a foot Garda at the place by daunt square that protesters were at last week at 4:30pm and cars driving past them onto Patrick Street. There are several other videos from this afternoon showing the same thing. Gardai on Patrick Street during the ban hours standing by monitoring as the street was jammed with private cars.

Well I was sitting in daunt square at 5 last week and not a single car was left drive on Patrick st all sent up cornmarket st.

Well I was sitting in daunt square at 5 last week and not a single car was left drive on Patrick st all sent up cornmarket st.
    That's why there was such a large Garda presence on Patrick Street today. To ensure their was no repeat demonstration and that private cars were allowed to drive through Patrick Street with impunity.
    You don't need to believe me. The photographic evidence is now there. Gardai actively facilitating and protecting law breakers.

So the guards were enforcing the ban last week with the aid of others and turning a blind eye this week although didn't see a single guard on Patrick st today.

So the guards were enforcing the ban last week with the aid of others and turning a blind eye this week although didn't see a single guard on Patrick st today.

No. Protesters enforced the ban last Sunday. For a while. As Gardai were caught off guard and didn't know how to react. Now they do. The Garda presence on Patrick Street today was precautionary in case there was another attempt to stop cars from breaking the law. If you were on Patrick Street today you would have seen a Street full of lawbreakers and Gardai standing by. Also plenty photographic evidence of this.
    If this sounds bizzare and not credible I understand. The police protecting and facilitating law breakers. But it's where we are now at.

Just one example @noonanjoe had posted a pic on Twitter showing a Garda car and a foot Garda at the place by daunt square that protesters were at last week at 4:30pm and cars driving past them onto Patrick Street. There are several other videos from this afternoon showing the same thing. Gardai on Patrick Street during the ban hours standing by monitoring as the street was jammed with private cars.

Nonsense.

That Garda car was pulled in while a Garda delivered a box of something to a place across the road. I was unaware police now also did delivery service.

• Advertisement

Also the guards knew all about the action last week and enforcement of it.

Advertisement